How to stop mosquitos sucking my blood

punchandjudy

3 hours ago, punchandjudy said:

Why do mosquitos prefer to bite me over my Thai colleagues? (I asked and they say they rarely get bitten).

Ten years back when I first arrived, I got bitten loads every day.

Now I get around one bite a week, no screens on the windows, no repellent, don't understand it.

(I'm blood group 'o')

Wondering if I still get bitten, but no longer react to the venom, so don't notice the bites.

Edited by BritManToo

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Now I get around one bite a week, no screens on the windows, no repellent, don't understand it.

(I'm blood group 'o')

Wondering if I still get bitten, but no longer react to the venom, so don't notice the bites.

I am just the opposite. Nothing at all or much before for over 20 years and now I am a banquet within the last year. totally changed. type o.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, punchandjudy said:

Recently, I have been bitten many times here in Bangkok (in my office).

1. It seems to me that I am getting bitten much more often recently. Is this due to the rainy season? Should I be worried about Dengue fever?

2. Why do mosquitos prefer to bite me over my Thai colleagues? (I asked and they say they rarely get bitten).

Do farangs have tastier blood? I also read somewhere that blood group O and wearing dark clothes attracts mosquitos more.

Thanks.

There are always more mosquitoes around during the rainy season, simply because there is more water around for them to lay their eggs in.

Tests have indicated that they are indeed attracted more to type O blood and also to potassium and lactic acid. So diet could have an influence. How many bananas due you eat?

As far their racial preference is concerned, my wife and I (both blood type O) have found it to be the opposite to your experience. She is forever complaining about mosquitoes, whilst I never even notice them. I may be wrong, but I put this down to the fact that as I am quite hairy, they prefer to target her smoother skin.  (so do I, BTW)

As far as repellents go, both 'Johnson's Off' and 'Mos Away' are very effective. (so Madam Moon tells me)

ML

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

Eat garlic and lots of it. Not only will the mossies not bite you, but good to keep your blood pressure down too. 

It will also keep your wallet full and your libido down as no more "hansum man" shouts from the bar girls as they smell you from way down the street!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

(I'm blood group 'o')

Haha.Maybe it could be something with the blood group.I am also an O and I dont have any issues with bites of any kind either.

DEET is the gold standard for effective and long-lasting bug repellent.  It works, but it has disadvantages.  It is a solvent and will melt various plastics and the glue on sandals, etc.  It is the best, but you must use it with care.  I relied on it for decades in the north woods of North America, but I rarely use it here (but then I rarely go camping here or spend the night outside). 

There are more benign repellents such as lemon-eucalyptus, etc., but they are very short-lived and require frequent applications.  There are some room anti-mosquito products that work, such as Vape One-Push and ARS plug-in devices.  Follow directions. 

I use mosquito coils every night, lighting one in the downstairs bathroom area and one just outside the main door to the house.  If I sit outside during the day, I will light a coil, carry it a couple of times in a circle around the chair I’ll be sitting in to fumigate the area, then place it up-wind from me.  That works very well.  (I put coils in a steel lidded dish – at least 6 inches wide – with the lid off while burning.  To save the rest of the coil when not using it, I put the lid on to smother it and save it for another time.) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

To repel mosquitos:

lemongrass + Citronella essential oil mixed with either coconut or sunflower oil.

You Lemon Eucalyptus is also good to mix in.

The above products are only mildly effective. Deet and Picaridin are the only really effective repellents. Not sure Picaridin is available in SE Asia. However, you should not use Deet on children but there is a product made by Avon called 'skin so soft' which is an oil based moisturizer. This is safe and very effective as a repellent as the oil sits on your skin which the insects don't like as they cannot stand still. This moisturizer is perfumed so you will smell like a Ho's handbag but that's a small price to pay ? 

The mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide that we emit from our lungs and skin so if your body emits a lot you will get bitten more - hence some people get bitten more than others.

As a general rule, most insects are attracted to light which makes your home a magnet. It has now been discovered that many insects cannot see yellow light very well, which is not on their spectrum, so use yellow bulbs outside your home and they will fly on to the next bright light. Yellow bulbs are available in HomePro, Mr DIY etc.

As mentioned before the smoking coils are very effective - I use them all the time. However, some restaurants I visit have strong low fans pointing under the table which also keep the mozzies away while you eat and keeps you cool too.

ps Skin So Soft is also available in the USA with an added repellent, so you can poison yourself and smell like a Ho's handbag all at the same time. ?

Edited by Jaggg88

On UK TV  last night (BBC 'One Show') was a doctor from London School of Tropical Medicine talking about exact same thing; 

He's been studying why some people get bitten more than others and said that after five years of this study they have found that it is a humans scent the Mossie's are attracted to (not BO) but scent we give off through our pores. The bad news is that it appears people who drink lots of beer are more prone to getting bitten than those who don't. He said one in five humans do not get bitten and it is these that they have been collecting scent markers from and developing them in the lab, to produce the next generation of repellants. He reckons that these new type of repellants will be on the market in next few years.

Until then he said use the available best known products on the market and he especially endorsed Lemon Eucalyptus and NOT Citronella (specifically said that) I thought right next in LOS will get Lemon Eucalyptus (though I am lucky I never seem to get many bites) but Dengue worries me so I need to start using something really.

I have been interested in the behavior of mosquitoes for quite sometime. If your office is air-conditioned usually mosquitoes heat sensors would fail to detect your presence. Mosquitoes find their victims with their heat sensors and also they sense the carbon dioxide we exhale.

Yes, black color somehow attract them. If you google Trap for mosquitoes you will find simple easy to make mosquitoes traps (from plastic mineral water bottle). It works. Just make one and put it near your table, well below the table I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lokie said:

The bad news is that it appears people who drink lots of beer are more prone to getting bitten than those who don't

Can you recall, what did this have to do with human scents, making them more prone to being "bitten" by a mozzie? 

Oddly enough, guy I know here drinks beer everyday. I don't.  We can be sat at the same table outside evening time.  I get the mozzies, he doesn't.  And he doesn't use repellent.  

I sprayed up at the open air pub on Monday evening, which typically does the trick.  They were out in force, apparently, as next morning I had 4 red dots along my left shoulder and 4 to 5 on my back.  The bastards went right through my t-shirt!  ?

16 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Can you recall, what did this have to do with human scents, making them more prone to being "bitten" by a mozzie? 

Oddly enough, guy I know here drinks beer everyday. I don't.  We can be sat at the same table outside evening time.  I get the mozzies, he doesn't.  And he doesn't use repellent.  

I sprayed up at the open air pub on Monday evening, which typically does the trick.  They were out in force, apparently, as next morning I had 4 red dots along my left shoulder and 4 to 5 on my back.  The bastards went right through my t-shirt!  ?

I think he said it was to do with wheat or yeast being something which Mozzies like...? and maybe the guy you know is a 1 in 5 who expels some pungent anti-Mozzie scent so he's ok 555

Main thing in my post was the expert really did say Lemon Eucalyptus and NOT Citronella...

Here is the Prof, he seems to know his stuff

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/aboutus/people/logan.james

Edited by Lokie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

A) If you are single, use the baked bean, eggs, and cabbage method.

B) Mosquitoes are very conservative, thus wearing a Liberachi costume works wonders.image.png.dafc9d82cd5864ae6c2ec3f38a2bc6f5.png

He looked kind of old and weak in this photo? Anyone knows how he died. Sickness? He died around 50s I think. He was very flamboyant. I like the way he talked. Of course he was gay. Very gay in fact. (nothing bad or wrong just natural propensity to produce gay people in any given population. Nature doesn't cater to your like or dislike. Perhaps it's nature way to keep population down a little.)

14 minutes ago, madusa said:

I have been interested in the behavior of mosquitoes for quite sometime. If your office is air-conditioned usually mosquitoes heat sensors would fail to detect your presence. Mosquitoes find their victims with their heat sensors and also they sense the carbon dioxide we exhale.

Yes, black color somehow attract them. If you google Trap for mosquitoes you will find simple easy to make mosquitoes traps (from plastic mineral water bottle). It works. Just make one and put it near your table, well below the table I guess.

Along the lines of what you are saying, friend of mine in the SE USA said his neighbor had a trap like this at the far end of his property.  Apparently worked very well, got loads of them. 

http://www.home-mosquito-control.com/lentek-mk12-mosquito-trap.php

image.png.d3bf04931ad1483bb97db45f01e916c6.png

Here in Thailand a few years ago, the Tessaban sent a guy around with the back-mounted sprayer, fogging all the houses front to back on our soi.  What mess, and the worker didn't even have on a respirator or even a simple surgical mask.   That evening, the mozzies were particularly viscous but within a day, there were none and I didn't see any for quite some time.  I reckon it killed off the eggs and put a dent in the breeding cycle. 

Edited by 55Jay

3 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

I ran like a mad man in rural Prince George BC, Canada. Why? I went berry picking after a rain storm, and I was attacked by a mosquito swarm. Now - here is the creepy part: When I got inside the house, the screen door was blackened by the swarm!image.png.c649e8af9d82f2b8d3e9f98a9c2ffa46.png

Too much horror movies can have such effects at times.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Along the lines of what you are saying, friend of mine in the SE USA said his neighbor had a trap like this at the far end of his property.  Apparently worked very well, got load of them. 

image.png.d3bf04931ad1483bb97db45f01e916c6.png

Here in Thailand a few years ago, the Tessaban sent a guy around with the back-mounted sprayer, fogging all the houses front to back on our soi.  What mess, and the worker didn't even have on a respirator or even a simple surgical mask.   That evening, the mozzie were particularly viscous but within a day, there were none and I didn't see any for quite some time.  I reckon it killed off the eggs and put a big gap in the breeding cycle. 

Overkill. No necessity to use a sledgehammer. Don't look like a mosquito trap to me though, is that the right photo you have on?  Sure it is not for BBQ ? I see the gas tank below for the BBQ fire. No, still don't look right for me.