Where is the Best cheese at the best prices in Pattaya?

soistalker

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/19/2018 at 8:24 AM, soistalker said:

Where in Pattaya might I find good cheese at good prices?

I did not read the whole thread but if someone has not mentioned it already there's only one cheap place in Pattaya and that's Siambury's on the dark side.   They import directly , not only cheddar but my Gouda cheese as well . 

Prices are 40-50% lower than Tops. And 20-30% cheaper than Friendship. 

http://www.pattayatrader.com/reviews/Siambury-is-Lighting-Up-The-Dark-Side

On 9/19/2018 at 7:42 PM, fforest1 said:

Makro  Makro Makro Makro Makro Makro Makro Makro Makro Makro

And for the last time Makro....

You have to be kidding, Makro is hideously expensive for cheese!! 

One poster above paid 375 for 900g cheddar at Makro, you will get 2 kilos of Imported Australian cheddar from Siamburis for less that that!!

• 10 months later...
On 9/21/2018 at 2:08 AM, balo said:

I did not read the whole thread but if someone has not mentioned it already there's only one cheap place in Pattaya and that's Siambury's on the dark side.   They import directly , not only cheddar but my Gouda cheese as well . 

Prices are 40-50% lower than Tops. And 20-30% cheaper than Friendship. 

http://www.pattayatrader.com/reviews/Siambury-is-Lighting-Up-The-Dark-Side

Do they have locally produced cheese ?

How can they compete with big supermarkets if they import ?!

3 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

hello, any foreigner making real cheese around Pattaya ? Even if it's not so official, please PM me, I will be a regular customer !

Thank you !

I don't know why the selection in Big-CX, or Siambury's could be determined not to be real cheese. Maybe you need to tell us what you believe is real. I know a person making their own, but it is for personal consumption. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I don't know why the selection in Big-CX, or Siambury's could be determined not to be real cheese.

Semantics. Siamburys cheese is real, but it isn't proper.

I'm not knocking their cheese at all: I buy it and I eat and I'm grateful for the low price. But it isn't proper cheese of the types one finds in the cheese room at the Pullman on Asoke, for example.

la-fo-cheeseplate-kaaelhnc

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I'm not knocking their cheese at all: I buy it and I eat and I'm grateful for the low price. But it isn't proper cheese of the types one finds in the cheese room at the Pullman on Asoke, for example.

By "proper" you mean there isn't the variety, or do you mean it's some kind of ersatz cheese?

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

they look like French cheese ; true, you will never find such cheese in normal shops in Thailand 

have a look here  https://www.google.co.th/search?q=PLATEAU+de+fromage+français&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwigrPGg0fzjAhVHOY8KHcqMDv8Q7Al6BAgEECQ&biw=1229&bih=607

37 minutes ago, dragula said:

However, clearly, you haven't done your research because the most authentic, delectable, delicacy is actually casu marzu, a highly specific type of cheese

Who are you responding to?

51 minutes ago, dragula said:

However, clearly, you haven't done your research because the most authentic, delectable, delicacy is actually casu marzu, a highly specific type of cheese

so specific that it's prohibited in EU, too much dangerous , with fly larvae inside 

https://cafebabel.com/en/article/casu-marzu-the-worlds-most-dangerous-cheese-5ae00c05f723b35a145e82c4/

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

By "proper" you mean there isn't the variety, or do you mean it's some kind of ersatz cheese?

It's like the difference between a nice Bordeaux and a box of Montclair. Both are made out of the same thing (grape juice) but they dont taste the same. Mass-produced hard cheese is different to proper cheese in the same way. Nothing wrong with the mass-produced sort though, in the right place. That's what Siamburys sells and I buy it myself.

12 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It's like the difference between a nice Bordeaux and a box of Montclair. Both are made out of the same thing (grape juice) but they dont taste the same. Mass-produced hard cheese is different to proper cheese in the same way. Nothing wrong with the mass-produced sort though, in the right place. That's what Siamburys sells and I buy it myself.

Not a good comparison. A nice Bordeaux is a 100% grapes AFAIK, whereas Montclair has added fruit juice, which could be anything. The Siambury cheeses are still 100% cheese, ie made from milk, but the difference may be in maturity etc, but it's still "proper" cheese, not processed.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not a good comparison. A nice Bordeaux is a 100% grapes AFAIK, whereas Montclair has added fruit juice, which could be anything.

Alright. Compare a nice Bordeaux and a box of Spanish wine. Both are made from grapes but the taste is very different.

I got in an argument with a fellow here about Parmesan cheese.  He was going on and on about Parmigiano-Reggiano Since I was at Makro I tried some.  My gosh was he right and I was wrong. Now I couldn't live without it. I was suprised they had it at Makro.  I tried to apologize to the guy but he was gone.   

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

But they are still both "proper" wines.

I think the tax is much greater or Spanish or French wins so I drink Australian or Chile and never the fruit stuff except to cook and then it's not bad for Mexican food with beans and lots of peppers.

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think the tax is much greater or Spanish or French wins so I drink Australian or Chile and never the fruit stuff except to cook and then it's not bad for Mexican food with beans and lots of peppers.

Nothing to do with the subject we are discussing.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Nothing to do with the subject we are discussing.

You wrote, "

Alright. Compare a nice Bordeaux and a box of Spanish wine. Both are made from grapes but the taste is very different.

So I guess it is except if I post it.  

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You wrote, "

So I guess it is except if I post it.  

But what did my comment have to do with tax and your choice of Chilean or Australian wines? Absolutely nothing. The wines were only used as an analogy of the cheeses available at Siambury's, but you'd need to read all the comments to follow that.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

But what did my comment have to do with tax and your choice of Chilean or Australian wines? Absolutely nothing. The wines were only used as an analogy of the cheeses available at Siambury's, but you'd need to read all the comments to follow that.

Why?  You were talking about wine and we are in Thailand and I commented it would be more appropriate to comment about wines From Australia and Chili.   Get over your dislike of me.  

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Why?  You were talking about wine and we are in Thailand and I commented it would be more appropriate to comment about wines From Australia and Chili.   Get over your dislike of me.  

I have no dislike, other than your inability to see when you are wrong. Sometimes you have to follow the discussion instead of focusing on the last comment made, but enough. Put it to rest.

17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

How much to eat this ? is it a buffet ?

By proper cheese I mean a kind of homemade cheese, and not anything from a large factory.

The guy doing goat cheese in Pattaya is now dead it seems ? But somebody else might be doing it also ?!

Don't worry guy, we don't care that you do not have a work permit ! we just want your good and honestly priced cheese ! Please contact us !

Archived