Where is the Best cheese at the best prices in Pattaya?

soistalker

10 hours ago, soistalker said:

Several baht bus trips to the Darkside for cheese would be insane. Any ideas of a place more accessible from Jomtien or Pattaya?

Went to Siamburi's a couple of weeks back, bought about 5kg of cheese in small (250-500g) packs, froze most of it, that'll do me for a few months.

I don't know about all cheese, but cheddar freezes well - you can't slice it afterwards, it crumbles, but the taste is the same. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Siambury is an exellent shop, not only for cheese. I go there at least once every 10 days and I drive 40km one way. 
Cheese is incredible good value. If you want a similar price, you would have to buy a 3kg Block at Makro.
Last time I bought PG Tea bags, 199 THB for 160 bags, smoked salmon 250 gr. for 80 THB  (small cuts, but tasted excellent). Fish fingers also a very nice product for a good price. They often have short dated products for a good price in store. I love that store!

Makro, I also go there each time I drive to Pattaya and it is useful for some products too, but since TGM manages the Cheese and  cold cuts counter, the prices are high. Couple of years ago imported Spanish Salami was cheaper as the TGM Salami (which is eatable too), they changed that very quickly when they started to manage it.
If I want to buy something from TGM I go to Naklua, they have a shop there not far from Belucky.

From Tesco Jomtien Sukhumvit it is less then 3km to Siamburys

screenshot_734.jpg.0e63766574bb2d40a7fc942a1666983f.jpg

4 hours ago, uwe_rayong said:

Siambury is an exellent shop, not only for cheese. I go there at least once every 10 days and I drive 40km one way. 
Cheese is incredible good value. If you want a similar price, you would have to buy a 3kg Block at Makro.
Last time I bought PG Tea bags, 199 THB for 160 bags, smoked salmon 250 gr. for 80 THB  (small cuts, but tasted excellent). Fish fingers also a very nice product for a good price. They often have short dated products for a good price in store. I love that store!

Makro, I also go there each time I drive to Pattaya and it is useful for some products too, but since TGM manages the Cheese and  cold cuts counter, the prices are high. Couple of years ago imported Spanish Salami was cheaper as the TGM Salami (which is eatable too), they changed that very quickly when they started to manage it.
If I want to buy something from TGM I go to Naklua, they have a shop there not far from Belucky.

From Tesco Jomtien Sukhumvit it is less then 3km to Siamburys

screenshot_734.jpg.0e63766574bb2d40a7fc942a1666983f.jpg

Girlfriend wasn't impressed with the salmon off-cuts. But you can't complain, at that price. ?

She felt the cheap Australian cheddar was good for use in cooking, such as baked spinach with cheese. She liked the taste of the English Cheddar.

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

motorbike taxi, for cheese????  you would need to be bloody desperate to want it that badly 

siamburi sells lots of other cheap euro foods as well---the topic was about cheese---thats what i commented about.

i actually DID buy many other products, including vlarge bag of cornflakes-very discounted...the supermarkets in pattaya seldom have 'decent' specials...

22 hours ago, murraynz said:

yes, it cost me 200thb each way, by motorbike taxi---eroded any savings that i made----but the 'one off' experience was ok.

cheese is very unhealthy, so the extra expense here, probably, is a bonus..

That is true. The high price here ensures it's a luxury treat, not a daily staple item.

22 hours ago, kokopelli said:

The best cheese for the best price in Pattaya is Friendship Market on Pattaya Tai just past Tukcom.

There is a large variety at good prices. Also they can cut you a piece to your specifications.

Could someone contrast and compare cheese at Friendship and Foodland? 

59 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Right on. I went there today and picked up a big block of mild chedder for baht 375. I'm more of a sharp cheddar kind of guy, but I'll take what I can get.

I too prefer the sharp (or "vintage") cheddars. Don't like the size/shape of the little packages we get over here. They seem to be thinner and narrower than what we get in Canada (if my memory is correct but that was quite awhile ago now).

Also I find I have to get the "Aged" or "Vintage" types as anything else barely tastes like cheese at all.

Tops had some nice Massdamer cheese in stock for awhile but I haven't seen any there in months now. Foodland (and Big C) had some in the "pre-sliced" packages but it isn't quite the same either.
Haven't bought any cheese at Friendship in years so I don't recall what their selection was like. I don't recall it being any better than the other main stores though.

I'm not too far from the 2 places mentioned on the Dark Side so maybe I'll go check them out in the next day or 2. 

You'd think that with all the shopping malls in Pattaya now, at least one would have a "cheese" shop but then again, I don't think cheese is that big of a thing as far as local cuisine is concerned. Trying to think if any Thai dishes use cheese at all.

6 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I too prefer the sharp (or "vintage") cheddars. Don't like the size/shape of the little packages we get over here. They seem to be thinner and narrower than what we get in Canada (if my memory is correct but that was quite awhile ago now).

Also I find I have to get the "Aged" or "Vintage" types as anything else barely tastes like cheese at all.

Tops had some nice Massdamer cheese in stock for awhile but I haven't seen any there in months now. Foodland (and Big C) had some in the "pre-sliced" packages but it isn't quite the same either.
Haven't bought any cheese at Friendship in years so I don't recall what their selection was like. I don't recall it being any better than the other main stores though.

I'm not too far from the 2 places mentioned on the Dark Side so maybe I'll go check them out in the next day or 2. 

You'd think that with all the shopping malls in Pattaya now, at least one would have a "cheese" shop but then again, I don't think cheese is that big of a thing as far as local cuisine is concerned. Trying to think if any Thai dishes use cheese at all.

90% of Asians are lacto intolerant.  Does that include cheese?

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

90% of Asians are lacto intolerant.  Does that include cheese?

My understanding was that the idea of "cheese" is (or was) alien to Asians due to the addition of the bacteria in the formation process. Can eat dogs and bugs and slimey things, but not cheese because adding cultured bacteria is weird. :crazy:

(At least that was how I recall it being explained many years ago when I read a discussion on the difference in Asian/Caucasian eating habits and why many Asians had no problem with the idea of eating dog but didn't like cheese while most Caucasians (or "Westerners") were the opposite way around.)

52 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

My understanding was that the idea of "cheese" is (or was) alien to Asians due to the addition of the bacteria in the formation process. Can eat dogs and bugs and slimey things, but not cheese because adding cultured bacteria is weird. :crazy:

(At least that was how I recall it being explained many years ago when I read a discussion on the difference in Asian/Caucasian eating habits and why many Asians had no problem with the idea of eating dog but didn't like cheese while most Caucasians (or "Westerners") were the opposite way around.)

90 to 100% of South East Asians are lacto intolerant. That includes cheese. 

https://milk.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000661

"An estimated 65% of human adults (and most adult mammals) downregulate [decrease] the production of intestinal lactase after weaning. Lactase is necessary for the digestion of lactose, the main carbohydrate in milk, and without it, milk consumption can lead to bloating, flatulence, cramps and nausea.

Just thanking everyone that said Siambury, I made the trip this afternoon and well worth it! I saw a couple of other farangs turn up going for the cheese too.  The shop is small and not the kind you would drop into normally.  Made a pizza tonight and cheese is right on the mark.

20180920_181849.jpg

Just thanking everyone that said Siambury, I made the trip this afternoon and well worth it! I saw a couple of other farangs turn up going for the cheese too.  The shop is small and not the kind you would drop into normally.  Made a pizza tonight and cheese is right on the mark.
20180920_181849.thumb.jpg.c7b84ad72def1ae47053ff3dc9e46e78.jpg
That looks just like the piece i got there today, B)

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived