The existential threat to Thai universities

webfact

I wonder what private school was purchased by Chinese investors. The "working with the community" mandate is a failure. They mostly ask for English classes. You know the learn to speak English over the weekend model. Also, this mandate to infiltrate locally screws up admissions. 

1 hour ago, peterpop said:

Do you think anyone in the various anti corruption agencies actually reads reports in English about corruption.  The most blatant corruption that I see almost daily is when I exercise my dogs at the Chiang Mai University agriculture campus near Mehia.  Every year a new building that remains empty.  This for the last 10 years to my certain knowledge.  An animal experiment building, a Radio Frequency rice sterilising plant, a biogas demonstration unit, a Weather observation building [huge], a cafe !!!, a tutorial block [vast] and now the prestigious Northern Science Park and more.  All empty and deteriorating.

I know, they have to spend their budget or lose it.  What nonsense.  Any audit... not in my lifetime.  All those kick backs.  The only part of the Campus that works and is clearly profitable is the ''planting of experimental crops'' area.  A new covered market has been built by this area to sell the crops... very nice too.  I wonder where the profit goes? 

Ha ha, I too live near a large government university campus. Every year a new 8-storey building goes up without fail. The occupants seem to be packs of feral dogs rendering them off limits for humans.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, rickudon said:

I do have an issue with this. The primary purpose of a university is to EDUCATE, not do research. Research is all about prestige. In the UK, because of this focus on research output, the best professors do very little teaching. In my day we were taught, now half of lectures are just recordings, teaching is to onerous.

Being realistic, a University with modest funding cannot do much original research, it is better to capitalise on the work of the prestigious few and concentrate on how to put such research to use. Teach well, show students how to use their knowledge, and the investment in education will pay off.

i totally agree with your assessment. i work for a top uni here and the lecturers are all to preoccupied with research that they barely know how to teach. one might think that teaching comes naturally for researchers. they are two distinct, yet related professions. and those who can teach, don't even care if the students learn. don't even talk about standards because they don't exist here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Having funded a nephew and niece of my wife to attend university here in Thailand, I am appalled at the standard of teaching they have received and at the low level of education they have attained. Pitiful....but thankfully quite cheap.

cheap yes, but it doesn't  do their prospects any good in the long rum.  My daughter (mixed race Brit/Thai ) is at a UK university. We never even considered for a moment her staying here to be 'educated' , so she went to a Brit High School, did her A Levels and then on to Uni. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rickudon said:

I do have an issue with this. The primary purpose of a university is to EDUCATE, not do research. Research is all about prestige.

Research is about staying current in your field. If you can't stay current in your field, you can't teach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sakeopete said:

Thai education LOL my step-son who couldn't even pass high school got a bachelor degree attending classes on the weekend only. He missed half those days yet still graduated with a bachelor's degree in 2 years.

Two years? Most students spend four years, or even longer and still come out with a piece of paper that's worthless outside Thailand. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Everybody I know in the Academic world, states quite categorically that Thai degrees are not worth the paper they are written on, those who take an English Major the vast Majority have a hard time even speaking English. I once had to tutor a young man who by luck had obtained a placement in a Engineering Uni in Australia, he needed help in his written English and knew he had to present a biopsy of his life in English upon joining, after three lessons he decided he knew enough, after joining the Unjiversity he was sent back to Thailand as his English was not acceptable , his aim was to get his Masters in Australia, as he had a BA from Thailand . he ended up with not getting his masters and the Thai University was written to by the Australian on e has to how he gained his BA. 

That is the Major problem, Thai Unis have almost NO CREDIBILITY 

What might be more shameful is that the Thai educational authorities are completely oblivious to the fact that their university systems are nearly second rate, preferring to exist within their realms of rhetorical fantasy. In defence, some Thai university programs excel by countering quality hard science curriculum but fail miserably throughout - generally speaking. 

What is definitely never mentioned in critique regarding Thai educational processes will be the all-purpose political repression that is encased throughout all levels - from primary through tertiary pursuits. Less noting, how instructors/teachers are homogenously trained and rarely have opportunities to break on though, as such applies to encouraging independent and critical thought throughout their extended studies activities. The cycles just repeat themselves, digging deeper their sublime fancy.

49 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

No sh#t there. The prospects of meritocracy developing here in many/any areas is sadly a long way off and there seems to be little inclination to even give token lip-service to it. The present flawed system here is very deeply entrenched and the patronage system isn't going away anytime soon.

Too true.

Sadder yet, is that they don't have the ability to recognize as such. 

And the cycles will continue.

• Like 1

Peerasit has done his research, and it's a great analysis, but s/he sure as sh!t hasn't spent any time working in a university

1) You're a middle class kid asking Santa for 5 Maseratis if you think you can get "quality scientific research [as] the major focus...along with [better] teaching." You don't get that. At this stage in Thailand's development, you just . don't . get . to . have . that....

Thailand needs to choose:

sacrifice the quality of the kids' education for the sake of just getting on the board with research development profile in Asian universities **in MAYBE a generation from now**

OR

give the kids the kind of education that isn't archaic, isn't holding them back, leaves them with some desire for further/lifelong learning (acknowledge this is an issue with tertiary ed globally), and doesn't simply fossilize their mostly docile nature into adulthood, and allows them to possibly "provide commensurate social, economic, political and scientific benefits to Thailand" as a result of said improved education and analyic thinking

You have to PICK ONE of these.

2) If you're oriented toward the "primary criterion" of research output, you're always going to be playing catch-up. The system is going to get more and more bent with who can boast the most 'research citations' and the flim-flammery that has been exploding in the last decade or so. You can pay people to 'like' your posts on social media and youtube to falsely increase your profile. It's coming with citations if it isn't already here. Playing this game of points for research to increase the perceived value of your university is wrong as it sacrifices the kids. Professors go jetsetting all over, presenting papers and it's not uncommon for them to be doing by cancelling classes - "the university's paying for me to go present my paper in Japan! Free trip! I get an audience! Just gotta cancel 3 days of class is all. No biggie." When you iterate that hundreds/thousands times over, that's a BIG cut into the students' time that they're supposed to be taught. Again, this is a global issue and I'm repeating what I said in the 1st point about sacrificing the quality of kids' education to be in some outfit's ostensible research ranking system...

but it needs to be said again, and again, and again. Thailand COULD take the lead in terms of increasing the quality of education by focusing on the professional development of teachers, really taking notes from other more developed countries' playbooks, but that's me asking my wife for a maserati for my bd.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Too true.

Sadder yet, is that they don't have the ability to recognize as such. 

And the cycles will continue.

Oh they know, they are not that thick, they just dont care. Thailand lives in its own bubble of corruption, arrogance, nepotism and inefficiency and it doesn't give a toss for what the Western World thinks, not so long as it attracts investment from other  Asian Nations..  Cue,  arrange everything for  'quality Asian tourists' and investors and sod the rest.  Ah well, its their country, up to them I guess. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Oh they know, they are not that thick, they just dont care. Thailand lives in its own bubble of corruption, arrogance, nepotism and inefficiency and it doesn't give a toss for what the Western World thinks, not so long as it attracts investment from other  Asian Nations..  Cue,  arrange everything for  'quality Asian tourists' and investors and sod the rest.  Ah well, its their country, up to them I guess. 

Good thing.  You gotta laugh. 

gdp.png

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Good thing.  You gotta laugh. 

gdp.png

You gotta laugh at this submission by a second rate Thai student. He uses a graph with data that ends in 2013 for an assignment in 2018 - what a moron !!  Just copied the easy-to-find graph on the Internet. Didn't bother the update the data base and re-plot the graph as a smart westerner would do.  He would have failed the assignment for  living in the past.

4 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

You gotta laugh at this submission by a second rate Thai student. He uses a graph with data that ends in 2013 for an assignment in 2018 - what a moron !!  Just copied the easy-to-find graph on the Internet. Didn't bother the update the data base and re-plot the graph as a smart westerner would do.  He would have failed the assignment for  living in the past.

I just love it when they bite.  :cheesy:

thailand-gdp-growth-annual@2x.png

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I just love it when they bite.  :cheesy:

thailand-gdp-growth-annual@2x.png

Now we have 2 lots of data about Thailand GDP which are not comparable.  The original showed the amount of GDP in billions of USD. The New data presents annual growth rate of Thailand GDP.  The good student (from a western university) would have re-calculated the  second set of data  to give  GDP in billions of USD  and re-drawn the graph. But the stupid third rate student from and inferior university in a foreign country prevents this being done because there is a total lack of information for the years 2014-2016 inclusive.  I guess this is not surprising because they must allow anybody who can pay into his university  - not surprising that his homeland is headed down the toilet.