May vows to hold nerve after Brexit talks hit impasse

rooster59

4 hours ago, smedly said:

When it all started it was only about trade which was fine, but it evolved into something entirely different and dangerous with Germany running the show 

Yes, it did evolve, but the UK was part of it and voted in favour of all major changes (which required unanimity).

Edited by damascase
Error
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

British Prime Minister Theresa May on Friday demanded new proposals and respect from European Union leaders, saying after a summit in Austria that talks had hit an impasse and, in a prominent eurosceptic Sunday newspaper, she stuck to her guns.

"This is the moment to do what is right for Britain," May said in the Sunday Express. "Now is the time for cool heads. And it is a time to hold our nerve."

I hope this child will be taken from the power of representing UK during Brexit negotiations. 

She really has lost her spot and is currently behaving like a child, who wants a candy, when her parents deny her request. 

For the common good for both parties involved, get an adult to do her job. 

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I hope this child will be taken from the power of representing UK during Brexit negotiations. 

She really has lost her spot and is currently behaving like a child, who wants a candy, when her parents deny her request. 

Cometh the hour cometh the man .......

Image result for marx lenin corbyn

• Sad 1

Just now, beautifulthailand99 said:

Cometh the hour cometh the man .......

Image result for marx lenin corbyn

Corby is for Brexit. Can't you find some better leader for UK than these Russian puppets?

5 hours ago, smedly said:

The future of the EU is at stake, the Uk will survive no matter what, the last thing the EU want is an independent UK trading powerhouse that they have no control over

What does the independent UK trading powerhouse require to work? Partners to do the power trade. 

Now UK is giving out it's greatest asset, being a gateway for partners around the world to the European union.

We are more than willing to take your previous advantage inside EU borders once you fly away.

This process has already started and it will grow further in time.

10 hours ago, oilinki said:

Basically you are right. But is there any adult which you have in mind which all the other children will select to do a better job?

I think she does a bad job. But with all those fanatics around her it's difficult to do a good job.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:05 AM, Esso49 said:

Currently May has zero political future so she should put hers hands up, admit they have made mistakes, and immediately call another referendum.   Bet it would be more like 70/30 to stay in the EU. 

For all the people who want a 2nd referendum, let there be one STRICT condition. Those who didn't vote in the 2016 referendum CANNOT  vote in the 2nd referendum.

If you were too bloody lazy or couldn't be bloody bothered last time, then stiff cheddar. You're not going to get a say this time. That's the trouble: a lot of these Remain whingers now, didn't go and vote on that crucial day. 

There it is: A 2nd referendum with the same voters and accept the result.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/23/2018 at 1:49 PM, sawadee1947 said:

Man, you seem to be alone with your Statement. But I'm convinced that there a lot more outside who would'nt give any comment here. So let's hope together that this awful decision to leave EU will never happen just for the benefit of UK people and EU. I think we are sick of watching politicians in UK being afraid of losing face. 

No, I think that the people in the UK are just sick of the EU.  They do not want to become a member of the United States of Europe, which is where the EU leaders are heading, step by tiny step, in the same way that they have gradually and surreptitiously eroded the sovereignty of each member country.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:08 PM, welovesundaysatspace said:

All member states are equally part of the EU and participate in the EU’s decision-making. And they can all leave the club if they want to (same as it was their own decision to join in the first place). How is that “basically a power grab by Germany and France”?

The decisions on a daily basis seem to be taken mostly by Germany and France.  When Merkel declared her invitation to all refugees to come to Europe, I don't think she consulted all of the other 27 members , but now demands that they all take a share, thereby causing all the current turmoil.  Judging by the UK's recent experience, leaving this splendid club will cost a member country a few billion Euros, some 50 billion in Britain's case.  Pretending that all member states are "equally part of the EU and participate in the EU's decision making" is patent nonsense.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

No, I think that the people in the UK are just sick of the EU.  They do not want to become a member of the United States of Europe, which is where the EU leaders are heading, step by tiny step, in the same way that they have gradually and surreptitiously eroded the sovereignty of each member country.

Aks yourself and the people of UK, why they are sick of EU.

Are they sick of what EU represents? The freedoms for our people. 

Or are they sick of the image, few individual people are so intensely forming of their enemy.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:30 PM, damascase said:

Thank for making me laughing out loud. ‘The future of the EU is at stake’, an ‘UK trading powerhouse’: man, where is your sense of reality?

May also seems to miss that sense, or she would not ‘demand new proposals from the EU’. It is the UK that wants to leave the club, and of course the UK is free to do so. On what would the EU have to compromise? Brexit is Brexit, isn’t it?

So, the UK is free to leave?  I thought that the EU were demanding at least 50 billion euros for the privilege.  When leaving membership of (let's say) a golf club after perhaps 40 years' membership, the club do not expect you to pay for the pensions of all the staff employed during your membership.  You leave and then pay nothing more  and in return get no further benefits of membership. If you want some benefits, then of course you have to pay for them.  Hence, a "no deal" should mean no payment.

11 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

So, the UK is free to leave?  I thought that the EU were demanding at least 50 billion euros for the privilege.  When leaving membership of (let's say) a golf club after perhaps 40 years' membership, the club do not expect you to pay for the pensions of all the staff employed during your membership.  You leave and then pay nothing more  and in return get no further benefits of membership. If you want some benefits, then of course you have to pay for them.  Hence, a "no deal" should mean no payment.

UK is free to leave. And UK still have to pay it's agreed fees for common projects, which benefits our common community. Nothing weird about that. Simple international co-operation in action.

Perhaps your Russian heritage doesn't really understand that people can work together in the way that benefits us all. Hopefully even you will understand that someday.

And yeah, I used to run my own forum and saw the influx of Russian accounts, which were dozens in a day few years back. I know understand way better, why that happened. 

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Are they sick of what EU represents? The freedoms for our people. 

Your people? Your country is? One of the Nordics I gather.

Surely you can see that the UK has a different perspective on the EU than the one that your country may have? I wish you and your country all the freedoms you need to determine your future, whatever that may be.

Why are you so obsessed with my nation (the UK)? And so obsessed with disrespecting my country?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Surely you can see that the UK has a different perspective on the EU than the one that your country may have? I wish you and your country all the freedoms you need to determine your future, whatever that may be.

Why are you so obsessed with my nation (the UK)? And so obsessed with disrespecting my country?

I'm mostly interested of my nation (the EU) and not really interested of your nation (the UK).

However I'm also interested to learn about new ideas as well as mistakes made by all countries, so that we (the EU) doesn't have to repeat the mistakes made by other countries (the UK), in the future. 

I'm here to learn from mistakes made by (the UK) previously. 

24 minutes ago, oilinki said:

And UK still have to pay it's agreed fees for common projects, which benefits our common community.

There is absolutely no legal obligation for the UK to pay for projects undertaken after it leaves, unless the UK shares the benefits.

Given the huge investments the UK  has made to the EU infrastructure, we should actually get a rebate when we leave, or be provided with the benefits of those things that we have invested in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, My Thai Life said:

There is absolutely no legal obligation for the UK to pay for projects undertaken after it leaves, unless the UK shares the benefits.

Given the huge investments the UK  has made to the EU infrastructure, we should actually get a rebate when we leave, or be provided with the benefits of those things that we have invested in.

Yes, UK has legal obligation to pay that minuscule amount of money, which is something like 100 euros per EU people. 

While the amount of money is minuscule for EU, breach of the agreement is far worse offence. 

Nobody expects Britain to be such an tool, to challenge that previously agreed number.

That 40 billion euros is a nothing burger for both parties. Well, it might be significant number for Britain.

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

I'm mostly interested of my nation (the EU) and not really interested of your nation (the UK).

Look, the EU is not a nation, and it's very difficult to discuss anything with someone whose understanding of the EU is so incorrect. If you are not interested in my nation (the UK), why do you spend every evening (assuming you are in the Thai timezone) talking about the UK's business?

You have alluded to the fact that you come from a Nordic nation, and your moniker would suggest the same. That's great, but the UK has a different history; we are one of the world's largest economies, and we have always been oriented to free trade, which is what Brexit is really about. 

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

Someone has to help and lead the blind and deaf 

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

On 9/23/2018 at 10:41 AM, bristolboy said:

Finally a simple and guaranteed way to become rich. It's a wonder that the currency trading market isn't several times larger than all the rest of the trading markets combined.

But it is! Not just several times, but almost 50 times larger.

It's not simple or guaranteed, because the margins are tiny on a daily basis and if you want to "become rich" you either need to invest a lot (meaning you are rich already) or you need to predict the long-term exchange rate.

Forex is estimated to be a $4 trillion a day market, with most trading concentrated on a few major pairs. This dwarfs the dollar per dollar volume of all of the world’s stock markets combined average only about $84 billion per day.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:32 PM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Yes, and the elected UK leaders were actively participating in that process from day 1 - but of course they didn’t advertise that.......

On 9/24/2018 at 3:43 PM, My Thai Life said:

Look, the EU is not a nation, and it's very difficult to discuss anything with someone whose understanding of the EU is so incorrect. If you are not interested in my nation (the UK), why do you spend every evening (assuming you are in the Thai timezone) talking about the UK's business?

You have alluded to the fact that you come from a Nordic nation, and your moniker would suggest the same. That's great, but the UK has a different history; we are one of the world's largest economies, and we have always been oriented to free trade, which is what Brexit is really about. 

The Nordics make an interesting subset of Thailand expats - they are mostly retired couples and live in their comfortable condo ghettos in Jomtiem and Hua Hin and Cha-Am and overwinter during the cold hard Scandinavian winters. My wife and I made the mistake of going to Linda's in Jomtien a favoured and watering hole and club/bar of the  Nordics.  Their very generous pensions and favourable exchange rate makes them pretty rich by expat standards and as one has commented on here they hope a big sterling fall will clear away some of the lower grade , riff-raff Brit sex tourist / sexpat who they regard I would think with disdain.  European disappointment with the UK is hardening now to vindictive punishment an a degree of schadenfreude as the reality of Brexit dawns. The howls of British perfidy ring hollow as others have said you want to leave the club but keep the benefits and stop paying the subs. Sorry old boy - the free money referendum was a lie peddled by chanchers , spivs and vested interests which has doubled down in intensity with the incompetence with which it has been negotiated like Trump in the US was a big <deleted> to the establishment at the pain of those left behind in globalisation.  Sad thing is the the bill is on  the way and it aint't Project Fear now it's how can we stuff the UK / move our business / capital into the EU. And for a lot of the better migrants Germany / Netherlands / Poland  looking like a good bet to go and work and help to make these countries even more prosperous. May knows she is on the cliff edge. Politics has never been more depressing / interesting in my life. But if you're still a Brexiteer now you have to ask what exactly will you have won that makes the grief / economic hardship / potential break up of the UK / dislocation to many millions of folk (and of course a million plus UK expats in EU) worth all of  this apart from chest-thumping meaningless living in the past sloganeering. We have a trillion pound plus debt and a load of problems we need to work at domestically such as education, housing the NHS all of which seem to have been forgotten in the pointless waste of time , treasure and energy which is Brexit.  Sad really  , just very sad. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2018 at 9:43 PM, My Thai Life said:

If you have always been oriented to free trade, why are you giving that up now? Because that is what Brexit boils down to: on day 1 you loose all of the free trade agreements in which you participate - and from which you benefit - and it will take you many, many years of negotiations to replace these with your ‘own’ free trade agreements. Whether these agreements will be as profitable as those in which you participate now, remains to be seen. The EU has much more negotiation power than the relatively insignificant UK.

Edited by damascase
Spelling
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, damascase said:

If you have always been oriented to free trade, why are you giving that up now? Because that is what Brexit boils down to: on day 1 you loose all of the free trade agreements in which you participate - and from which you benefit - and it will take you many, many years of negotiations to replace these with your ‘own’ free trade agreements. Whether these agreements will be as profitable as those in which you participate now, remains to be seen. The EU has much more negotiation power than the relatively insignificant UK.

You do know that the EU is a protectionist cartel that prevents member nations from establishing free trade deals in their own right?

The comment about bargaining power is not as relevant as it might appear to be, as trade is governed by international law; additionally the collective bargaining of the EU  represents a compromise of the interests of member nations. Bespoke trade deals are more appropriate for comparatively large national economies.

50 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

You do know that the EU is a protectionist cartel that prevents member nations from establishing free trade deals in their own right?

The comment about bargaining power is not as relevant as it might appear to be, as trade is governed by international law; additionally the collective bargaining of the EU  represents a compromise of the interests of member nations. Bespoke trade deals are more appropriate for comparatively large national economies.

So, you are negotiating trade deal with USA and Trump wishes eagerly push their soya, meat and milk product for the benefit of USA's huge internal production and their farmers. 

How and what kind of deal you would do with them? How this would affect your farmers in UK?

53 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

You know that the EU is not a cartel and that the individual Member States have unanimously decided between them to have a Customs Union and a Single Market? So it is not the EU ‘preventing’ something, but rather a decision by the Member States? Or do you not know what these entities are or mean? If you are in favour of leaving the EU: by all means, LEAVE, but stop showing your ignorance about EU-matters.

Edited by damascase
Completed

3 minutes ago, damascase said:

You know that the EU is not a cartel and that the individual Member States have unanimously decided between them to have a Customs Union and a Single Market? So it is not the EU ‘preventing’ something, but rather a decision by the Member States? Or do you not know what these entities are or mean? If you are in favour of leaving the EU: by all means, LEAVE, but stop showing your ignorance about EU-matters.

Making personal insults is not going to improve you knowdge of the EU. The EU is indeed a protectionist cartel. Take a look at 3rd country agricultural tariffs into the EU for all the proof you need. Membership of the EU prevents EU nations from making bespoke trade deals, of course it does.

Just now, My Thai Life said:

Making personal insults is not going to improve you knowdge of the EU. The EU is indeed a protectionist cartel. Take a look at 3rd country agricultural tariffs into the EU for all the proof you need. Membership of the EU prevents EU nations from making bespoke trade deals, of course it does.

A Customs Union - one of the original corner stones of the EC/EU - and the Single Market would not work if individual Member States could have their own trade agreements. It is not the EU forbidding this but it is a decision by these same individual Member States. If you want out, no problem. Good luck in the negotiations with the rest of the world, as countries will realize that the UK’s position is weakened and will use that to their benefit.