"No, you gave me a 100 baht" says 7/11 staffer after being handed 1,000 baht

webfact

18 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

If you watch the video, it is clear this was deliberate, not a mistake. 

I did not see the video, it was my mistake. ????

You are right, that girl was targeting a older woman, may be she did before with another one too.

To avoid confusion, you always give the money after items are scanned, and handover the cash to them, anyhow i am using card payment for about 7-8 years.

7-11 offers various discounts, sometimes when 2 items of the same is bought, sometimes cashiers to enter the discounts.

Since i an kind of Mr.Bean, i always demand the proper discounts.

Most 7-11 girls are having frustrated mechanical working environment, so i treat them well and smile sometimes, and strike small conversation if not much customers around.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Really, try using the fuel gauge. Surprisingly, the fuel gauge in my truck has always given me a plausible indication of fuel required to fill up.... 

The fuel gauge in my 2001 Ford Ranger is a non linear gauge and is only a guide. When I literally top the tank it reads overfull on the gauge and when the gauge says E there is still a few litres left.

I know that I get about 12 km/lt and I know roughly how far I have travelled so that gives me a rough idea how much fuel I need.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, but the same thing happened to me by an officer at the local Immigration Center in Pattaya earlier this year.  Luckily enough, the incident was witnessed by my lawyer and after much huffing and puffing by the 'trusted' officer, I reluctantly was given back the appropriate change...

• Like 1

I went into a 7/11 next to Asoke BTS to buy a small bottle of water.   That 7/11 is pretty small and was very busy, anyway I handed the girl 100 baht and she then got called over by another girl so she went to deal with something else.   Then the girl who had taken my money came back, opened the till and proceeded to give me change for 200 baht.  She handed it to me and said thank you (in Thai).   I said to her "I only gave you loy baht, not song loy baht."  Then I gave her back the extra 100 baht she'd mistakenly given me.    

The point is that people make mistakes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BangkokTony said:

Do not trust the addition on the receipt if you buy items of 4 or more.  There is a way of adding more baht without it showing up. 

I have experienced this at 3 shops.  

No, there is not.

Everything you buy will be on the receipt.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2018 at 12:00 PM, Jingthing said:

I've never had such issues at 711s or Family Marts but I have at restaurants. So at restaurants when I pay with 1000 baht I show the bill and say the amount. Seems a bit much but it always works and I haven't had any waiters give me attitude about it either.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The local 7/11 I use always quote out loud both the bill amount and the cash you have handed them...never had a problem. .but this is run by a well (english) speaking husband and wife . I think they've trained their staff well to ensure no "mistakes"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

I went to the local 7/11 this morning and bought 2 packs of milk for my son and nothing else. It came to 136 baht. I told the girl behind the counter that I gave her 2,000 baht ass a joke. She loudly said only 1,000 and gave me 804 baht in change.

I put the change and the bill on the counter and the bill was correct, looked at the till and explained that she was 60 baht short. She gave me the 60 baht with bad grace but no stamps. That didn't bother me but I explained in English (and she does speak some) that if she wanted to rip off the fat old farang she would have to get up earlier.

I would have complained to the shift manager but she IS the shift manager.

Also the CCTV is pointing at the coffee machine and not at the tills. Next time I see the real managers I will tell them to get the camera shifted towards the tills. Also I will refuse to be served by that woman.

Do you ever think that those guys are constantly busy at the till all day, serving hundreds of people each day, with that horrendous "Ding Dong" going off every seven seconds; they must be knackered and just want to get their shift over with.  The last thing they want to be doing is dealing with your hilarious "jokes".  Really, you expect them to fall over laughing?  I would certainly be handing you things with bad grace after that.

And good luck with the "real" managers - I am sure they will welcome your suggestions of how their CCTV should be set up with open arms.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

I went to the local 7/11 this morning and bought 2 packs of milk for my son and nothing else. It came to 136 baht. I told the girl behind the counter that I gave her 2,000 baht ass a joke. She loudly said only 1,000 and gave me 804 baht in change.

I put the change and the bill on the counter and the bill was correct, looked at the till and explained that she was 60 baht short. She gave me the 60 baht with bad grace but no stamps. That didn't bother me but I explained in English (and she does speak some) that if she wanted to rip off the fat old farang she would have to get up earlier.

Also the CCTV is pointing at the coffee machine and not at the tills. Next time I see the real managers I will tell them to get the camera shifted towards the tills. Also I will refuse to be served by that woman.

There have been reports of a coffee thief around town lately....????

Edited by Catkiwi
tropo
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Do you ever think that those guys are constantly busy at the till all day, serving hundreds of people each day, with that horrendous "Ding Dong" going off every seven seconds; they must be knackered and just want to get their shift over with.  The last thing they want to be doing is dealing with your hilarious "jokes".  Really, you expect them to fall over laughing?  I would certainly be handing you things with bad grace after that.

And good luck with the "real" managers - I am sure they will welcome your suggestions of how their CCTV should be set up with open arms.

Yes, don't forget to tell them to set the CCTV up with open arms. Closed arms won't work ????

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

There have been reports of a coffee thief around town lately....????

Probably some other grumpy farang in earlier telling the "real" managers that their CCTV needs to point at the coffee machine because he suspects his drinks are not being filled up to the line or he's getting short changed on his sugar.

Poor real managers, can't win.

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

Christ man.  What the hell.  No wonder they think we're all mad.

• Haha 1

The usual 7/11 staff apologists out in full force.... I've had this happen several times over 6 years... once bought an umbrella at 7/11 with 100 baht sticker on but the cashier typed in 200 baht coz it wouldn't scan

At a hotel in Bangkok couple of weeks ago... cashier tried to charge me 300 baht baht for couple of packs of Lay crisps and 2 bottles of coke... asked her in Thai for a receipt, she gave me dumb Farrang look but my wife stuck up for me.... forced her to write out a receipt and we walked away 100 baht saved from scam..... golden rule get the receipt you cant get scammed!

Edited by richiejom

10 hours ago, joebrown said:

This has resulted in the correct change then being tendered, with an apology.

Lol they actually said sorry as well? I find that hard to believe...was it more like a mumble?

I nearly got scammed at market near Walking Street once, bought a fruit juice drink from a stall..about (50 baht each for me and wife) .... 500 baht was missing in change from 1000...we'd walked a few paces and I noticed and we ran back...500 baht was given with questions asked like they thought to themselves 'oh he noticed'

19 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Yes, in a local Mini-Tesco I was given change for a 1,000 baht note when I had only given a 500. I noticed the error as I was counting my change whilst walking out of the store.

I am aware that cashiers in these places have to pay for their own mistakes, and 500 baht is no laughing matter, so I returned to the cashier and pointed out her mistake - oddly, she actually seemed quite annoyed.

She called in the manager, who checked the receipt and went through the till. Then they had to complete a written form (all in Thai, of course) which I was asked to sign, before I was "allowed" to hand back the 500 baht note.

The whole process took about 20 minutes, and I had only popped in to buy a bottle of milk.

Maybe they lose face if you point out a mistake. I got the same annoyed expression when I returned an overpayment.

Edited by Mac98
Spelling error by autocorrect.

happened to me today, just 2 hours ago in Tesco Jomtien:

bought a bunch of things, some buy 1 get +1 included.

cashier enters all, shows on the register the 1000.25 b to pay.

i pay. exact amount.

he real fast as i am to turn summarize the things and start to scan for next customer.

look on the receipt as usual, and bamm, the total was 857...clear and clear...IF he would only push the summary before ask for money.

an excuse? not! confusion? not!

he was not a M6 student part time, but a full staffer.

i am sure knew very well he is in the wrong, too!!

stupid farang, or thai for that matter, why would look on the receipt?

too bad a manager was not at handy at customer service. and not the first time Tesco employees made "mistakes".

makes one wonder just how common it is, really. 

lack of education to know what a camera means, and the convenient ways to get away from it with a wai or without even makes the place ripe for these petty criminals.

Edited by tingtong

1 hour ago, richiejom said:

The usual 7/11 staff apologists out in full force.... I've had this happen several times over 6 years... once bought an umbrella at 7/11 with 100 baht sticker on but the cashier typed in 200 baht coz it wouldn't scan

At a hotel in Bangkok couple of weeks ago... cashier tried to charge me 300 baht baht for couple of packs of Lay crisps and 2 bottles of coke... asked her in Thai for a receipt, she gave me dumb Farrang look but my wife stuck up for me.... forced her to write out a receipt and we walked away 100 baht saved from scam..... golden rule get the receipt you cant get scammed!

So one mistake at 7/11 from which the cashier would not have made any money and 1 issue at a hotel shows you they try to scam you at 7/11.

• Thanks 1

Guess we are not allowed to name the 7/11 it happened in............this one looks familiar - OH, wait, they all look the same.............I had my one and only incident in a new 7/11 in Pattaya, Nong Prue somewhere area  -  I'll stick to my neighborhood 7/11 - never a problem there.

On 9/24/2018 at 10:33 AM, BobBKK said:

In the Philippines staff nearly always say "I received one thousand" or whatever it is.

They do that in my neighborhood 7/11 as well..........always say 'Bang pun Khrap' when handed a 1000B note

19 hours ago, seancbk said:

I went into a 7/11 next to Asoke BTS to buy a small bottle of water.   That 7/11 is pretty small and was very busy, anyway I handed the girl 100 baht and she then got called over by another girl so she went to deal with something else.   Then the girl who had taken my money came back, opened the till and proceeded to give me change for 200 baht.  She handed it to me and said thank you (in Thai).   I said to her "I only gave you loy baht, not song loy baht."  Then I gave her back the extra 100 baht she'd mistakenly given me.    

The point is that people make mistakes.

Except in this case, as the video shows, it wasn’t a mistake. It was deliberate deception. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

The woman who served me was busy chatting with a friend on my side of the counter and not serving anybody at the time which was only 3 hours into her shift, and , no they are not constantly busy all day.

As for the jokes most of the girls working there do appreciate someone talking to them.

Fortunately for all of us you will never work at the 7/11.

13 hours ago, stevenl said:

So one mistake at 7/11 from which the cashier would not have made any money and 1 issue at a hotel shows you they try to scam you at 7/11.

If you add up all the "small" mistakes remarked on during this thread you may understand why people complain.

Mine was only 60 baht but others have reported 500 baht and these are only the people reading this post on an English language Thai website. How many more go unreported across the country?

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you add up all the "small" mistakes remarked on during this thread you may understand why people complain.

Mine was only 60 baht but others have reported 500 baht and these are only the people reading this post on an English language Thai website. How many more go unreported across the country?

I guess some people expect them all to be perfect.

There are over 10,000 7-11's in Thailand. Multiply it out I bet 100,000's of thousands people go into these stores everyday.

Thinking back I have gone to 7 probably over 1000 times here over the years and not once had them take my money.  Just the opposite I have been given too much back.  I bet that happens as often as the negative "mistakes" yet you won't hear much about it probably all the holier then thous pocket the money.

Anyway, are mistakes made?  Of course if you worked in that hectic environment would you be perfect?

Thieves?  10's of thousands of employees sure there are some.

But, the conspiracy theories that "the whole store and management are involved" seem bogus without proof.

It is what it is.  I guess if people are so afraid of being ripped off at the place find another venue.

I am sure it never happens at Family Mart.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That i got the wrong amount of change has happened to me on several occasions in diferrent places, but i never felt like it was done on purpose, and i think in average i got back too much change more often than i got too less. The highest amount were 500 THB too much, when i bought two shirts for 300, paid with 500 and got 700 in change. Usually i check my change, but only roughly, so if something is wrong with the 100s i'm quite sure that i will always notice it, if 10THB are missing or too much i might not notice it.

If i notice it i will tell them, if it was too much they are always very thankful, and when it was too less i always got an apology.

Edited by jackdd

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That i got the wrong amount of change has happened to me on several occasions in diferrent places, but i never felt like it was done on purpose, and i think in average i got back too much change more often than i got too less. The highest amount were 500 THB too much, when i bought two shirts for 300, paid with 500 and got 700 in change. Usually i check my change, but only roughly, so if something is wrong with the 100s i'm quite sure that i will always notice it, if 10THB are missing or too much i might not notice it.

If i notice it i will tell them, if it was too much they are always very thankful, and when it was too less i always got an apology.

That's my experience too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I guess some people expect them all to be perfect.

There are over 10,000 7-11's in Thailand. Multiply it out I bet 100,000's of thousands people go into these stores everyday.

Thinking back I have gone to 7 probably over 1000 times here over the years and not once had them take my money.  Just the opposite I have been given too much back.  I bet that happens as often as the negative "mistakes" yet you won't hear much about it probably all the holier then thous pocket the money.

Anyway, are mistakes made?  Of course if you worked in that hectic environment would you be perfect?

Thieves?  10's of thousands of employees sure there are some.

But, the conspiracy theories that "the whole store and management are involved" seem bogus without proof.

It is what it is.  I guess if people are so afraid of being ripped off at the place find another venue.

I am sure it never happens at Family Mart.....

That was the first time in my local 7/11 in the 14 years I have lived here. I am not afraid of being ripped off but I do object to being deliberately short changed.

The next nearest 7/11 is 12 km away and the nearest Family Mart is 65 km away.

I usually check my change in ALL the shops I visit from the BigC mall, Makro down to the local shop, don't you? If you don't you will never know if you have been short changed or ripped off.

What I bought cost 136 baht and I paid with a 1,000 baht note. I received 1 x 500 note, 3 x 100 notes 4 x 1 baht coins and no 20 baht notes and the till receipt with the 2 packs of milk at 68 baht each and that I had paid with a 1,000 baht note and a balance of 864 change.