PM Prayut told to step down as junta chief first

webfact

PM told to step down as junta chief first

By POLITICAL DESK 
THE NATION 

c31414fc4360f8617ab2c169f222d060.jpeg

PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha appears to have made up his mind to take a risky political journey after publicly admitting for the first time yesterday that he was “interested in political work”. Of course, he said, his future would depend on “how people see it”.

However, Prayut has remained tight-lipped as to which political party he is going to join and run as its PM candidate, though observers and the media have pointed to a new outfit called Palang Pracharat. The party plans to nominate Prayut as its PM candidate and certain government figures are expected to join it.

Critics say preparations have been made for Prayut’s comeback as prime minister, including favourable new laws and regulations, along with recent political moves.

He has been under pressure to reveal his plans, but it has been a dilemma for him. Staying silent about his political future will see him being pestered by the media and critics, while making his political plans clear risks attacks from politicians who see him as their rival.

The pressure on him will only increase.

Another question has emerged as to whether the former Army chief should step down as NCPO leader. His continued tenure could be seen as being more advantageous versus other competitors, as the junta leader has unrestricted power over all branches of government. When asked about it by a Government House reporter yesterday, he responded with a clear “No”.

He is aware of the negative impacts, but he has no choice. Prayut had earlier refused to answer reporter’s questions about his political future, saying that if he clarified it early, he risked getting attacked early.

And that appeared to have come true yesterday, as politicians started aiming their attacks at him.

Korkaew Pikulthong, a Pheu Thai Party politician and key red-shirt leader, yesterday called on Prayut to come to power through election the next time.

“That way is dignified,” he said, obviously referring to the fact that Prayut took power through a military coup.

“General Prayut has all the power mechanisms in his hands and has an advantage over all the political parties. So it is not difficult for him to enter politics,” he said.

Governing as an elected prime minister is another matter. Korkaew noted that Prayut would no longer have post-coup power, but would instead face scrutiny by the parliamentary opposition and the media.

Watana Muangsook, another key Pheu Thai figure, said yesterday that Prayut had an advantage over fellow politicians by refusing to step down as NCPO leader, while prohibiting political parties from campaigning.

“I am not surprised with what he said. He has made it clear from the beginning that he wants to be in power, but is afraid of contesting an election,” Watana wrote on Facebook.

Prayut was not alone yesterday. PM’s Office Minister Kobsak Pootrakool said he has developed an interest in politics after having worked in the government over the past few years.

“I am happy we have been able to help people. In the future, we may continue offering benefits to the people,” he said yesterday.

Industry Minister Uttama Savanayana yesterday also voiced his interest in politics. He said he was weighing his opportunity to continue his political work.

Uttama and Kobsak are expected to take key positions in the pro-Prayut Palang Pracharat Party, which is scheduled to convene its general meeting this Saturday.

The picture will be clear when the party selects its executive members and announces its election plan.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30355149

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-25
  • Thanks 1

I've come to the long conclusion that national elections and their false parades should be of little interest to anybody, as nothing surprising is gonna develop - back to the same old bosses. 

However, what should be of greater concern to all might be the much more important local and provincial elective process, impacting the real populations in ways that lend reality to their lives - and usually with minor associations and interference from the national peerage....

Understanding the corrupt trickling up and down relationship between provincial, amphoe, and tambon officialdom and federal government - and it's unusual history - is worthy to look into if one isn't familiar to how all this Thai political works. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

You seriously think this will bother him? A man who has made all rules to suit his wishes and who can create crimes out of thin air for the opposition. Having worked his way from despising all politicians to now becoming one it is obvious that truth, principles and honesty, or the lack of them, is something he has in common with all who have come before. The stage is set for 20 years of military rule and the man who set it up has not done so for someone else to step up and take over.

Its not only Prayut.. every PM or party that is in power during an election year has of course a advantage over those who are not in power. They always start to pour out gifts around that time and if in power government money is used. I seen it before so nothing new here. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Politics is very different when there's an opposition questioning your ideas. 

Really?

If one party has a majority in parliament, whatever the opposition does is just words, the ruling party does whatever it wants to do.

Like the latest Shin government tried to do.....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Really?

If one party has a majority in parliament, whatever the opposition does is just words, the ruling party does whatever it wants to do.

Like the latest Shin government tried to do.....

Just words, maybe. But Prayut doesn't like questions - from anyone. I'm just saying it's very different to having a house full of yes-men!

• Like 2

"I've come to the long conclusion that national elections and their false parades should be of little interest to anybody, as nothing surprising is gonna develop - back to the same old bosses. "

I assume you're referring to the military, as they seem to have been in power a damned site longer than any civilian govt. Just let the people choose who they want to govern them, it's called democracy. If they vote for the same old people and the poll's been fair and above board, then so be it, it's what the people want. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

Any follow-up on what happened to the personal secretary, which he did not know, despite her being his personal secretary?  Or the secretary's husband found dead with a business card on his body?

The people following up on this story appear to have disappeared

• Like 1

6 hours ago, baboon said:

Putting aside the scoop of the century that he wants to stay on, my question is this: Is the man mental?

Does he lack the self-awareness to realise he would be a complete and utter laughingstock without Article 44? Surely he can't be that stupid...? 

You forgot a complete amnesty in case things go wrong, not too many PMs have got that type of protection!

• Like 1

I would like to know out of all Thais that can vote, how many actually do!!

My wife is 50 years old, she has never voted in her entire life. Neither has any of her family. I think this is common amongst most Thais outside of BKK.

Most do not know what an election is and therefore don't care. To most Thais it does not matter who the P.M is!!!

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

My crystal ball tells me he is in for a surprise, the people will rise and elect someone else, whether he accepts that elected person to govern the country, is another story.

I hope your ball is right although recent polls (which can easily be manipulated, and probably have been) but will any Thai election be fair if one of the candidates has the power to influence the vote count? And once a winner is put into place (from a fair election?) will there be another junta?