Trump Supreme Court nominee rejects 'false accusations'

webfact

Trump Supreme Court nominee rejects 'false accusations'

By Richard Cowan and Lawrence Hurley

2018-09-24T185916Z_2_LYNXNPEE8N112_RTROPTP_4_USA-COURT-KAVANAUGH.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh listens during his U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., September 4, 2018. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh said on Monday he would not step aside after a second woman accused him of sexual misconduct decades ago, with President Donald Trump and fellow Republicans showing no signs of relenting in their push for his Senate confirmation.

"The truth is I’ve never sexually assaulted anyone, in high school or otherwise," Kavanaugh said in an interview on Fox News Channel’s "The Story with Martha MacCallum," to air on Monday evening.

The allegations, dating to the 1980s, have put in jeopardy Kavanaugh's chances of winning confirmation to the top U.S. court in a Senate narrowly controlled by Trump's party, with high-stakes congressional elections just weeks away.

Confirmation of the federal appeals court judge to the lifetime job would cement conservative control of the Supreme Court and advance Trump's goal of moving the high court and the broader federal judiciary to the right.

The Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a hearing for Thursday to hear from Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, who last week accused him of sexual assault in 1982.

Ford, a psychology professor at Palo Alto University in California, said Kavanaugh attacked her and tried to remove her clothing while he was drunk at a party when he was 17 years old and she was 15 when both were high school students in Maryland.

"I am not questioning and have not questioned that perhaps Dr. Ford at some point in her life was sexually assaulted by someone at some place, but what I know is I’ve never sexually assaulted anyone," Kavanaugh said in the Fox News interview.

He added he was not present at a party like the one described by Ford and noted that others Ford said were at the gathering had no recollection of it.

"I want a fair process where I can defend my integrity and I know I’m telling the truth. I know my lifelong record and I’m not going to let false accusations drive me out of this process. I have faith in God and I have faith in the fairness of the American people," Kavanaugh said.

He added he "did not have sexual intercourse or anything close to sexual intercourse in high school or for many years thereafter."

'SMEAR CAMPAIGN'

A second woman, Deborah Ramirez, accused Kavanaugh in an article published in the New Yorker magazine on Sunday of sexual misconduct during the 1983-84 academic year when both attended Yale University.

Ramirez is cited by the New Yorker as saying Kavanaugh exposed himself to her during a drunken dormitory party.

Kavanaugh and his Republican allies portrayed the allegations as part of a "smear campaign" by Democrats who have fought his nomination from the outset.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell made clear that no matter what happened at the hearing, the full Senate would vote on Kavanaugh's confirmation.

"This fine nominee to the Supreme Court will receive a vote in this Senate in the near future," McConnell said on the Senate floor.

"Senate Democrats and their allies are trying to destroy a man's personal and professional life on the basis of decades-old allegations that are unsubstantiated and uncorroborated," McConnell added.

Trump, himself accused during the 2016 presidential race of sexual misconduct with numerous women, twice offered words of support for Kavanaugh while in New York to attend the U.N. General Assembly.

"Judge Kavanaugh is an outstanding person. I am with him all the way," Trump said, calling the allegations politically motivated.

'I AM FRIGHTENED'

In a letter made public on Monday to the committee's Republican chairman, Senator Chuck Grassley, Ford said she had faced death threats and was relying on her lawyers and Grassley to "agree to conditions that will allow me to testify in a fair setting."

"While I am frightened, please know, my fear will not hold me back from testifying and you will be provided answers to all of your questions," Ford wrote.

Protesters opposing Kavanaugh's confirmation held rallies in Washington, New York, Philadelphia and elsewhere. Dozens were arrested in Senate office buildings. About 200 people gathered in front of the Supreme Court building in Washington, chanting: "I believe Christine Ford."

U.S. Capitol Police reported that 128 people were arrested on charges of unlawfully demonstrating in Senate office buildings.

The committee's top Democrat, Senator Dianne Feinstein, has called on Grassley to postpone Thursday's hearing in order to investigate Ramirez's accusations.

The Kavanaugh controversy is unfolding just weeks before Nov. 6 congressional elections in which Democrats are trying to take control of Congress from Republicans, against a backdrop of the #MeToo movement fighting sexual harassment and assault.

Republicans, with a 51-49 Senate majority, can confirm Kavanaugh if they stay united. So far, no Republican senators have said they would vote against him.

(Reporting by Richard Cowan and Lawrence Hurley; Additional reporting by Doina Chiacu, Susan Heavey, Andrew Chung and Gabriella Borter; Editing by Will Dunham and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-25

30 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He’s not accused of ‘touching a boob’, he’s accused of attempted rape, using drugs and alcohol in rape and gang rape.

There are also indications he has conspired with others to cover these crimes.

And he has committed a string of accounts of perjury before The Senate.

He thinks he can bluff his way through this.

He, like you, needs to get with reality.

Agree, but he'll get away with it, republicans in the senate are still supporting him.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:
1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:
Another circus from the two-headed America.
Oh my! He possibly, but there is no proof, touched a boob when he was a teenager and then lived squeaky clean for the rest of his life. How could he possibly ever be a judge?

You haven't read about the now multiple accusations have you? The hand over mouth to cover screams?
Also it's now beyond he says she says.
Now it's he says they say.

used to date a latina gal who used her own hand to gag her screaming so other hotel guests would not complain again about noise

57 minutes ago, blazes said:

Guilty until proved innocent, right?

I'd hate to be the accused person who came up before Judge Chomper.  In the slammer (as you so quaintly put it) for the maximum term.....

The presumption of innocence is only applicable in a trial before a court of law.

Kavanaugh is not on trial before a court of law.

Well, not yet anyway.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

He is not going to admit to any wrongdoing now is he!

His school colleague who I believe is represented by Stormys lawyer seems to be the most interesting "witness"

Kavanaugh must be taking Trump's advice....which is to "deny, deny, deny."  But I agree that Avenatti may have the goods, and pretty juicy one at that...

[Michael Avenatti, the lawyer for adult-film star Stormy Daniels in her lawsuit against President Trump, now says he has a client who will reveal allegations against embattled Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh within 48 hours -- shortly before Kavanaugh is set to testify in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee amid other sexual misconduct accusations.]

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09/24/avenatti-vows-to-name-new-kavanaugh-accuser-soon.html

48 hours.  If Avenatti actually delivers, Kavanaugh's goose is cooked.

• Like 1

Thank god I'm not famous, or going for an important, high profile job.  I vaguely recall many drunken sexual encounters, which at the time were, I sincerely believe, consensual.  Otherwise, 30+ years on, the other parties might be starting to consider differently.

Edited by mikosan
  • Like 1

It's a little strange that Cosby stands trial for sexual misconduct that happened decades ago and here GOP is pushing this man to become supreme court judge despite the fact that he is accused of sexual misconduct decades ago... Double standards?! Democrat sexual misconduct = bad vs. republican sexual misconduct = good or is it just black vs. white?!

• Confused 1

I doubt someone of Fords standing would have come out with this unless there were substance to this.

As predicted more women are now claiming he sexually attacked them, I am sure there will soon be people detailing instance where he was stoned out of his mind on drink and/or drugs.

No doubt we will start to hear allegations from those who have worked for him next.

Did not Weinstein deny everything...

• Confused 1

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

And an interesting thought for the judge 

Matthew 7:2 is the second verse of the seventh chapter of the Gospel of Matthew in the New Testament and is part of the Sermon on the Mount. This verse continues the discussion of judgmentalism.

In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads:

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged:
and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

The World English Bible translates the passage as:

For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged;
and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you.
Edited by mikosan

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I doubt someone of Fords standing would have come out with this unless there were substance to this.

As predicted more women are now claiming he sexually attacked them, I am sure there will soon be people detailing instance where he was stoned out of his mind on drink and/or drugs.

No doubt we will start to hear allegations from those who have worked for him next.

Did not Weinstein deny everything...

Standing?????    She is a small-time professor in a small-time university - to obtain tenure as a professor one normally needs to have published a book, and if one is to be later promoted one would need to have published at least one further book.

As far as I know, this professor has not attained that minimal level that would justify the term 'standing'....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I defy anyone to stand up to this scrutiny.  You never played doctor in nursery school, never petted a girl who pushed your hand away, never cornered an unwilling girl/boy in a room?  The Pope, Mother Theresa , and Gandhi would have never passed muster.

So, let me get this straight, if at 15-yrs-old, I ran after a girl in the house to see if I could get laid, then I would forever be banned from any higher office in government?  Even if he had done this and been arrested, juvenile records are sealed for a reason: people sometimes change their ways when they become adults.  I would have my suspicions about him if he hadn't done what most every boy or girl does.

The crazy Dems should try harder and claim that he is a pedophile w/o proof of course.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

I defy anyone to stand up to this scrutiny.  You never played doctor in nursery school, never petted a girl who pushed your hand away, never cornered an unwilling girl/boy in a room?  The Pope, Mother Theresa , and Gandhi would have never passed muster.

So, let me get this straight, if at 15-yrs-old, I ran after a girl in the house to see if I could get laid, then I would forever be banned from any higher office in government?  Even if he had done this and been arrested, juvenile records are sealed for a reason: people sometimes change their ways when they become adults.  I would have my suspicions about him if he hadn't done what most every boy or girl does.

The crazy Dems should try harder and claim that he is a pedophile w/o proof of course.

2 things.

Firstly, he is denying this. Now if it did happen that means he is lying.

Secondly, there is a bit more to this than playing doctor in nursery school.

• Like 1

Any other president would. at this point, drop his nomination.  Two women have come forward claiming sexual assault, with a third to come forward on Wednesday.  At first Republicans were saying that only one woman coming forward was an aberration.  Now they claim, after more women come out, it is a fake smear campaign.  Even a fellow student from Yale said he used to get heavily drunk while attending law school there along with Mr. Judge.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, blazes said:

Standing?????    She is a small-time professor in a small-time university - to obtain tenure as a professor one normally needs to have published a book, and if one is to be later promoted one would need to have published at least one further book.

As far as I know, this professor has not attained that minimal level that would justify the term 'standing'....

Not quite with it on the academic system, but C- for imagination.

• Like 1