Bodies of missing British expat and Thai wife found buried in garden, three men arrested

Jonathan Fairfield

This is a deeply sad and moving story and let’s hope both Thais and even Brit officials or Brit media exert full pressure to get this sorted quickly. Thailand owes it to Britain to use the full force of the law to do the job correctly.

Meanwhile one hears that economic  pressure on Thais has worsened in recent years. Drugs use are increasing possibly and with that come disturbing crimes. Politically Thailand needs to create a more fair, equal society and the view especially to the regions north of Bangkok is life is much harder now than under Thatksin  etc. Crime goes up when economic conditions worsen.

4 hours ago, lanista said:

I recall another farang killed  some years back after purchasing a new vehicle with the  silly  red plates.

This vehicle did not have 'silly' red plates at the time of the murder, vehicle theft and illegal selling.

However, this vehicle did have 'silly' red plates when the keys were handed over at the time of vehicle purchase. Some local media hack, seeing that there was very little in the way of recent pictures of the unfortunate victims which IMHO lays testament to the fact that they were not ostentatiously flaunting anything and were a pretty private couple, must have approached or been approached by someone at the Ford dealership for that picture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I've personally met or known three Westerners killed/assassinated by family members, including Alan. 

Doubt I would have met or known such a high number anywhere else in the World. The percentages are far higher in Thailand.

And don't get me started on the number of foreign criminals I have met here. The whole Sukhumvit expat bar scene was run by them at one point. 

Yes, but in Thailand probably more than 80% of the westerners marry prostitutes. Prostitutes are more likely to come from families who will do anything for money.

If a woman is prepared to be f...ed for money, she or her family will also be more likely to f... someone over for money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I've personally met or known three Westerners killed/assassinated by family members, including Alan. 

Don't be offended if I decline the opportunity to be introduced to you personally if it ever eventuates. Nothing personal you understand.

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

And don't get me started on the number of foreign criminals I have met here. The whole Sukhumvit expat bar scene was run by them at one point. 

"...was..."?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

... Yes, but in Thailand probably more than 80% of the westerners marry prostitutes. ...

Citation please.

Or is this just another casual use of the 'my friend' or 'I know someone...' indicator of your depth of  knowledge of this particular demographic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Citation please.

Or is this just another casual use of the 'my friend' or 'I know someone...' indicator of your depth of  knowledge of this particular demographic?

Young Thai teenagers all have posters of overweight foreigners older than their fathers on their bedroom walls and dream about finding one to marry one day.

It is fairly common knowledge.

That said, when I moved to Pattaya 10 years ago I got quite friendly with one particular bar. The seven girls who were their own the opening night have all married farangs. English, German, Swede and Kiwi. We group line.

That is one example. Thousands of others. It can be a touchy subject for some.

Some accept the reality, some live in denial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

Young Thai teenagers all have posters of overweight foreigners older than their fathers on their bedroom walls and dream about finding one to marry one day.

That said, when I moved to Pattaya 10 years ago I got quite friendly with one particular bar. The seven girls who were their own the opening night have all married farangs. English, German, Swede and Kiwi. We group line.

..and some, citing that rather nebulous 'fairly common' or personal knowledge of 7 bar girls in one bar lay claim to some empirical, undeniable but ultimately fanciful yardstick that leads them to come up with "... probably more than 80% of the westerners marry prostitutes..."

Yes, ridiculous I know.

But you started it.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

So with 7 bar girls each with 7 farangs in tow and you as the single, 8th wheel on the wagon, that's nearer to 90% than the 80% you claim.

BTW, what (were) you holding out for? The cashier?

48 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

so you're basically saying that your knowledge is based on a load of bar girls that you met ten years ago and still group line despite them all being married.

ok then

On 9/25/2018 at 2:53 PM, CanuckThai said:

Bailed for the car theft, of his "missing" sister and brother in law, that he was known to have squabbles with, and a personal history of violence.  Not normal.

What? In a country that you can be blind drunk high on drugs run over a police officer and drag him 50 odd meters down the road get bailed and flee custody you want to talk about normal? Give me a break 

Haven't read all of this but my 2 bobs worth!

And one question remains = the ease this (sleeze bag of a) brother was so easily given 100K Baht by a so called pawn shop for the new Ranger! Sincerely hope the pawn shop does not get their money back seeing as though the police have impounded the vehicle!

None the less the Thai Judicial system is such a lame duck all the perpetrators will be out of jail in a few years and enjoying 'Lao Kow' around the victims pool where all the benevolent relatives have already set up home.

Amazing Thailand.

29 minutes ago, Tuk Dua said:

Which in plain English means?

In most countries you would not even be held on remand little lone need to pay a bond for stealing a car. A court date would be imminent unless you were known to police which you would be aware of had you spent any time in a correctional facility. So please go elsewhere with your fanciful argument. You don't need a long neck and feathers to be a goose as your response so clearly indicates? Ka jai mai?

Well,

That plot thickens and now we are getting nearer the true reason for the murders. It has been announced in a newspaper that Mr. Hogg, had bought a large number of land plots and put them in different family members names, including the brother responsible for the murders.

The brother had been pushing to sell some of these assets, as he felt ' entitled ' because they were in his name. Hence, a land dispute! It was also mentioned in the news article, that it was common practice amongst foreigners because they were not allowed to own land, as we all know.

Well, it wasn't really a land dispute at all, because it wasn't his money that purchased the plots of land. However, in the cock-eyed logic of an uneducated farmer, they were in his name, so he wanted to sell the plots and get money for them. This was probably some ' work of genius ' thought up drinking white whiskey with his mates

Unfortunately, involving the wife's family, even remotely in business dealings is one of the downsides of getting involved with the devil and expecting them to understand.

No doubt, as is usually the case, the foreigner gave him some money as compensation for his trouble, but then greed took over and he then decided it wasn't enough and concocted a hair brained scheme, with his drinking buddies.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2018/09/26/briton-and-thai-couple-of-30-years-found-murdered/

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

in thailand, everybody has the duty to support brothers, sisters, parents,even if they are unwilling to work, that is an unwritten law, and this rich couple have violated this law and got the death sentence, most thais will think, including police and judge, they deserved their death, therefore the punishment will be be very low.thailand is not europe, everything is totally different, you have to adjust to their mentality, or you die.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, z42 said:

Just horrendous all round. It is good that the killers for hire are in and won't get bail. But once that dirtbag of a brother in law is hauled in I hope bail won't ever be an option.

It would be interesting to discover what kind of motive was behind this. Surely more than just money when one's own kin are getting killed

I will take a stab at it, Motive, Possible, brother was a gambler and drank a lot of gut rot.

He needed to pay a debt but was knocked back this time, his sister was sick of him and his ways and scalded him many times.

Because he could not pay the debt and he lost face he took matters into his own hands.

Only a theory, but plausible.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pattayahenry said:

in thailand, everybody has the duty to support brothers, sisters, parents,even if they are unwilling to work, that is an unwritten law, and this rich couple have violated this law and got the death sentence, most thais will think, including police and judge, they deserved their death, therefore the punishment will be be very low.thailand is not europe, everything is totally different, you have to adjust to their mentality, or you die.

??

You are full of it,...have you taken any substance before reading this BS ???

• Thanks 1

Outrageous posts aside (wow!)

the skinny last night from a Thai language Phrae Fb group was that the brother

1. Was a known hitman, 2. Had a huge gambling problem, 3. Had been extorting money by threat of violence for years from the victims, 4. Had killed another one of his sisters years ago for similar reasons.

People on the Fb page were incensed that action had not been taken when the first sister was murdered, as news of this double murder has hurt the reputation (and tourist dollars) of Phrae. Phrae is in the midst of a tourism PR push.

I don’t know if this is true, but that is what was being said by posters from Phrae.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 9/26/2018 at 6:28 AM, NanLaew said:

Citation please.

Wise up,  dont be naive, open your eyes, and dont let that 80 to 90 % number hurt your thin skin. Nobody has said that your wife was a hooker. 

• Like 2

On 9/26/2018 at 1:34 PM, NanLaew said:

..and some, citing that rather nebulous 'fairly common' or personal knowledge of 7 bar girls in one bar lay claim to some empirical, undeniable but ultimately fanciful yardstick that leads them to come up with "... probably more than 80% of the westerners marry prostitutes..."

Yes, ridiculous I know.

But you started it.

Well, that was just one example from thousands like i said. But you are probably right, the figure is probably higher.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:36 PM, NanLaew said:

So with 7 bar girls each with 7 farangs in tow and you as the single, 8th wheel on the wagon, that's nearer to 90% than the 80% you claim.

BTW, what (were) you holding out for? The cashier?

No, the cashier ended up in Sweden. I actually attended 3 of the 7 weddings. 

Nothing as big as the elephant in the room at a farang-thai hooker wedding. 

On 9/26/2018 at 1:39 PM, anon789561 said:

so you're basically saying that your knowledge is based on a load of bar girls that you met ten years ago and still group line despite them all being married.

ok then

No, as I said, that was one of thousands of examples.

And yes, we group line, but in Thai, so their husbands cant read it anyway. They all knew they were marring Bar Whores. I consider them friends, but wouldnt marry any of them. Because marrying a hooker is more likely to lead to disaster than not.

To be fair only one turned out bad, the others are still happily together.