What price a little girl's life? One million say family, too much says dog owner

webfact

Just now, BestB said:

In that case, 1 million is nowhere near what her earning potential could have been even if she was to be just a low wage worker.

This is not just about the poor deceased girls earning potential if she had lived and been in employment

Its fair to assume that at some stage in her life, she would probably have gotten married, and the family have now missed out on the Sinsod ( Dowry ) upon her marriage.

Everything in Thailand revolves around money.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Why?

Whether she has paid money or not, she is still culpable for what happened.

The officer said it was separate.

If compensation has been agreed by both parties, the judge will take it into account. This is the way it works, like it, or not.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

This is not just about the poor deceased girls earning potential if she had lived and been in employment

Its fair to assume that at some stage in her life, she would probably have gotten married, and the family have now missed out on the Sinsod ( Dowry ) upon her marriage.

Everything in Thailand revolves around money.

Try to keep up as this is exactly what I am saying, that if mother decided to put a value on daughters life, she values it very cheaply

25 minutes ago, BestB said:
27 minutes ago, atyclb said:

the hard reality in the society is often the younger daughter works and pays for the education of older siblings and contributes to the parents. through the asinine negligence of the neighbor the dogs were not restrained. my heart aches also for the little girl but the negligent party is liable for lost income. even in developed countries the civil liability is calculated upon the earning capacity and number of years cut short. 

In that case, 1 million is nowhere near what her earning potential could have been even if she was to be just a low wage worker.

i dont argue about the amount, just to remark about the calculation.

59 minutes ago, car720 said:

Seriously though, perhaps dog experts can tell me, what triggers dogs like this who MAY not normally attack to sometimes go berserk like this.  It happens in every country.  But why?

Easy to say. Dogs are hunters. They protect their property and the place around. If you are a big person they will respect you much more as a small kid. Not forget also that almost all dogs here never haved been teached something. If you feed them you must take care that they not eat your fingers.  

So if someone like the grandma violates the duty of supervision / duty of care and let a 4 year old kid let play allone in the streets things like this can be happen. It looks like the kid drive in the front of the property of the dog owner. Maybe she want drive away from the dogs and their hunting / protecting instinct come out and they hunted, catched and killed the kid.

I am sure if the grandma took care it not were happen.

And for all the Thai bashers here: If you google a little bit, you would find out that the fines/penalties and compensations for accidend like this in your own countries not much more higher as here in Thailand. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

1 mm baht may be peanuts by Western standards, but by Thai standards it's actually fairly high compensation.

Do posters who disagree realize that the average person probably carries less than 300,000 baht in liability insurance? If you get run over, the insurance company pays out 300K and unless the negligent party is loaded, chances are you're not going to get much more. Few people carry homeowners liability insurance which would cover a dog bite which means all compensation would be out of pocket. It would take a minimum wage earner 10 years to earn 1 mm. Just saying that things need to be kept in perspective.

Indeed you are correct but you may find 1 million is not all that much this days. Just to keep out of jail for drug possession ( larger than little quantity) is already 2 milllion.

had a staff, her father stabbed a guy in drunken fight . Guy lived, family demanded 1.5 million, that’s for an old man who lived 

1 hour ago, starky said:

What suprised by the weak as piss musings of posters on Thaivisa who couldn't pull the skin off a rice custard but are suddenly hard as nails sitting behind their keyboards.? Give me a break

Not like the musings of bar-stool philosophers and experts in human nature. 

• Like 1

I'm glad to see the topic has almost got back on track, comments on the compensation issue rather than the same comments repeated ad nauseam from the original thread relating to the incident itself.

Personally I think compensation negotiations should take place in private and not reported in the press. Neither party gains anything by having their figures made public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BestB said:
17 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i dont argue about the amount, just to remark about the calculation.

Clearly either mother not very well educated and can not count or really values daughters life that cheaply .

in principle agree.

6 hours ago, anterian said:

All the comments I have read are based on western cultural values. If one is a firm believer in both reincarnation and also dharma, then this will lead to a different attitude towards death.  

That's very true. And if the actual outcome for each person were determined by what each person believed in (reincarnation, heaven/hell, when you die you're dead, etc), that might be of some comfort. The question is, how is a person who is a firm believer in cause/effect, consequences, and accountability supposed to react to real dangers, injuries, or death that result from someone else's belief in fate or karma?

Edited by uniquefarang

51 minutes ago, siamcrut said:

The Moo Baan, we do live in has two access roads. One is gravel, the other one is paved. On the paved one there lives a thai with two very aggressive dogs, running free on his property (and the public road). Even local motorbike taxi drivers choose to take the gravel road because they were scared to get bitten.
When my son was ~ 2 years old,
I have installed a baby seat on our Honda wave, so we could go on a little ride around the block outside our Moo Baan in the afternoon, so Mrs. Crut could relax for a while.
One time on our way home with the bike I chose the paved road and completely forgot about these dogs. As soon as we came close, they attacked!
I stopped the bike right away and managed to take the dogs attention towards me. As always, I do wear proper shoes when riding a bike, and I kicked them a few times badly until the owner came running out and shouting to his dogs.
Finally they retreated.
My son was crying and my blood was boiling! He didn’t apologize but I told the thai owner if that ever happens again his dogs are dead!
Now these days, I use the car to send my son to kindergarten. But once in a while we still go by bike and these dogs don’t even look at us when passing.
The Thai and I still nod each other when passing but that’s it.
Moral of this story, up to you.
For me: My family comes first!

Besides your/my family, all kids come first and foremost. 

With all due respect and condolences to the family, the government are responsible for laws regarding the dog issue.

The owner of the dog was doing nothing that the government does not allow. It's wrong, but that's why there are controlling laws in a society. Strict laws that will be enforced are required otherwise more deaths will occur.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, uniquefarang said:

That's very true. And if the actual outcome for each person (reincarnation, heaven/hell, when you die you're dead, etc) were determined by what each person believed in, that might be of some comfort. The question is, how is a person who is a firm believer in cause/effect, consequences, and accountability supposed to react to real dangers, injuries, or death that result from someone else's belief in fate or karma?

Did the poster raising this comment actually go and ask a few Thai people how they would feel about one of their kids being killed by a couple of dogs - fair bet they didn't. 

Have a 6 year old myself and been fighting these monsters daily in our area , just to keep my girl safe...Are we in a savanna in Africa????? A crying shame ..It's all about the mentality of many Thai towards their animals and towards their fellow human beings...a sheit mentality at times, i can say without regret...many just don't care, only about their own.......
And what the hell is that about, that they always want to fix a problem rather then prevent it..Been living here 11 years and still get super annoyed by this ignorance..
Not bashing at all.. generally i love the country and it's people., that's why i'm here over a decade already and have no intention of leaving.....
.It's just a nasty side of reality here...A side that could use a little adjustment and learning of mistakes.....and there's the problem right  there...gddmn......4 years old....so sad. I cried when i read it....can feel the pain of the parents.......:(
From your comments is it safe to assume you also had some niggling thoughts about why you actually live in Thailand?

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I'm glad to see the topic has almost got back on track, comments on the compensation issue rather than the same comments repeated ad nauseam from the original thread relating to the incident itself.

Personally I think compensation negotiations should take place in private and not reported in the press. Neither party gains anything by having their figures made public.

Only ThaiVisa posters are interested, the public couldn't give a rats arse. 

When I owned dogs, they were kept in a fenced (tall fence) yard. These dogs, all three, have tasted human blood and must be put down. The owner knows her dogs were killers (or biters) and she needs to raise 1,000,000 Baht as a minimum to compensate the parents for their loss. Sell your house and move if you have to but maybe sacrifice one of her children.

• Sad 1

Here in Korat, they muzzle dogs that owners know or think that they will bite. I don't agree with that, as the dog is running in the streets and unable to have water. But, a million baht is not too much to pay, considering the plan the family says they have for it. And yes, the dogs need to be put down.

Edited by K950

6 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

I would poison it without hesitation 

And that’s the just the start of it. If it were my daughter, I wouldn’t even begin to be even partially happy until I’ve had the life of both the dog and the owner, and even then not 1 million baht or 1 million dollars would make it even. That’s why Thailand always is and always will be a 3rd world and 3rd rate nation.