Lizards / geckos

RickG16

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Mrs has just confirmed she ate a few of them off a grill.

Mrs menu when younger consisted of:

Baby butterfly 

Geckos

Rat

All the bugs

Ginga (small iguana)

Some kind of small crocodile

Turtle

Frogs

Snake

I believe turtles have been 'protected' for many years in Thailand.  The responsibility falls to the navy since around 1950!

On 9/27/2018 at 12:27 AM, ukrules said:

I don't mind them, they don't appear to attack us so I just ignore them.

I had a big ugly cockroach, the type with wings crawling over me inside my bed a while back, I managed to catch and kill it.

I have no idea how it got there or what it was doing in there as there's never been any food of any kind inside this bedroom.

Once it was dead I went back to sleep. I haven't seen any more since then.

While I agree with you that they do not do much harm, I would be a bit more wary of the larger lizards, not only will they give you a nasty bite if you grab them by the tail but some of the bigger ones can drop a dump the size of a small cat's, you really don't want that on your head when lying in bed. I had  my truck parked under a cross beam under our house and within a few days it looked like a volcanic eruption with Gekko dumps all over it, the ones we have are about a foot or more nose to tail so can really drop a log. In the bedroom,put a low wattage light on in the corner of the room away from the bed, they will tend to hang around near the light in the hope of catching a flying meal. The little lizards are pretty harmless but again, don't leave open food around as you might find little dark pellets not unlike mouse crap on your plate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Mrs has just confirmed she ate a few of them off a grill.

Mrs menu when younger consisted of:

Baby butterfly 

Geckos

Rat

All the bugs

Ginga (small iguana)

Some kind of small crocodile

Turtle

Frogs

Snake

I would bulk at the turtle I think, I have seen their eggs for sale in Sabah but did not indulge

As for the rest all sandwich fillings 

Heard this story,a guy from UK,first time abroad,

makes it to his hotel,on the bed,knackered from

the flight,and a Gecko falls off the ceiling,guess

fighting with other one,as don't usually fall,he

see's it goes into panic mode,on the phone to

the front desk, screaming a Crocodile has just

fallen on the bed,get someone up here quick.

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Heard this story,a guy from UK,first time abroad,

makes it to his hotel,on the bed,knackered from

the flight,and a Gecko falls off the ceiling,guess

fighting with other one,as don't usually fall,he

see's it goes into panic mode,on the phone to

the front desk, screaming a Crocodile has just

fallen on the bed,get someone up here quick.

regards Worgeordie

Its called a "TALL" story, just like the monkey hangers of Hartlepool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it so far but, geckos can carry salmonella.

Your wife/partner/friends can be carrying numerous diseases which could harm you and even cause death.

Get out the super size stickies then?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Formaleins said:

While I agree with you that they do not do much harm, I would be a bit more wary of the larger lizards, not only will they give you a nasty bite if you grab them by the tail but some of the bigger ones can drop a dump the size of a small cat's, you really don't want that on your head when lying in bed. I had  my truck parked under a cross beam under our house and within a few days it looked like a volcanic eruption with Gekko dumps all over it, the ones we have are about a foot or more nose to tail so can really drop a log. In the bedroom,put a low wattage light on in the corner of the room away from the bed, they will tend to hang around near the light in the hope of catching a flying meal. The little lizards are pretty harmless but again, don't leave open food around as you might find little dark pellets not unlike mouse crap on your plate.

Why on earth would you grab a tokay by the tail??

Every now and again a tokay 'bases' itself behind my fridge, but (presumably) decides after a few days that there's not enough food around, and so moves back outside.

And if you leave food lying around - your problem is more likely to be ants/mice/rats - than gekkos!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

The geckos help your health by killing mosquitos.

It's doubtful whatever other creatures you torture with the sticky would harm your health.

You have a cruel attitude.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Mahatma Gandhi

Agree entirely, but am embarrassed to admit that I kill mossies when they 'land' on me, (although after the first bite, I apply mossie repellent).

I also kill ticks, as they cause serious health problems for my dogs ☹️.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, giddyup said:

You sound like you might have a case of OCD. I hate rats, but there is no way I could sleep if I could hear one suffering trying to free itself from a sticky pad.

I've never understood why so many people hate rats.

Yes, they're a major problem if in your house (believe me, I know....) - but other than that they're intelligent, cute and lovable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

At some point she had it by the tail as the tail broke off.

The broken off tail was in the bag twitching.

(Released lizard outside).

I was wondering if tjat happens with the geckos here.

It does.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes.  I was removing a gekko from my kitchen sink, and it shed it's tail.

The remaining, twitching, tail is not something that anyone with any empathy would want to see....

I watched Tree Snake swallowing a tookay. The tookay shed it's tail. When the snake had got the tookay down it went after the tail which was still wriggling and ate it for dessert.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I hate all insects and I will kill them immediately if they come in to my house.

You're probably going to make fun of me, I do not really like to kill anything, so when I have to kill ants I tell them I'm sorry, like when I cut tree limbs I say to the tree I'm sorry but I have to! :smile:

7 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

You're probably going to make fun of me, I do not really like to kill anything, so when I have to kill ants I tell them I'm sorry, like when I cut tree limbs I say to the tree I'm sorry but I have to! :smile:

Have you ever considered therapy ?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

9 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

9 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Have you ever considered therapy ?

I'm afraid it's people who kill without worrying about anything that needs therapy. All life is respectable, the less evolved men have never understood it.

But as I'm not here to judge others they do what they want I take care of my life not that of others. So I practice like that and you, kill everything you want.????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

No, I won't make fun of you, I really do understand.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 4:33 PM, IAMHERE said:

Geckos are considered 'good luck'; they also eat spiders, roaches, and such. The only downside is they poop on the walls. Think of them as your friends, especially think that just before you go to sleep.

Yes do not sleep on your back with your mouth open.

On 9/27/2018 at 1:44 PM, giddyup said:

Absolutely sickening way to catch anything other than flies. Whatever poor creature is stuck may spend hours trying to extricate itself, and then what do you do, hit it with a shovel, or throw it into a wheelie bin still stuck to the trap. Even with rats I refuse to use them, prefer the old fashioned rat trap that breaks their neck and they die instantly.

Many people including professional pest control officers do not like glue traps. My Thai Mrs uses them and has trapped rats of various sizes plus Vietnamese Centipedes which I understand are venomous. Anything still moving she quickly despatches with an old golf club.

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Many people including professional pest control officers do not like glue traps. My Thai Mrs uses them and has trapped rats of various sizes plus Vietnamese Centipedes which I understand are venomous. Anything still moving she quickly despatches with an old golf club.

How long does the poor creature suffer before she gets around to killing it? They have outlawed them in many countries for good reason.

Unnecessarily cruel IMO.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't believe in god but if one believes in karma or rebirth one wonders if you glue trap users will come back as mice?  I believe the Thais have a word for it. 

I don't believe in reincarnation, & I didn't when I was a frog !