Why are Thai people so against thinking?

afsheen

5 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

When you look at Thailand as a whole, Thai's are world class laborers for the thinking countries.

Thai's being sent to pick strawberries in Sweden

Thai's being domestic help in the middle east

Thai's being the backbone labor for all the Japanese Car Manufacturers in Thailand

Thai's working in foreign owned factories all over Thailand for 6,000 THB per month

The list goes on and on

If Thai's really were "Thinkers"?

1.  They might have their own space program
  2.  They might be able to build their own world class cars, trains, motorbikes
  3.  The might be able to tackle being one of the worst educational countries in the world
  4.  They might be able to act like a true democracy, void of massive corruption
  5.  They might have some Nobel Peace Prize Winners
  6.  The might design their own smart phones instead of importing 50 million of them

The lists goes on and on and on and on and on

Thai's don't have the capacity for rational thought, but are pretty good at corruption (Some thinking, yes thinking, they will never get caught)

However, as we see the government tear down and re-claim properties all over the country, some didn't even think about what would happen if the winds of politics changed?

On average, it is pretty clear Thailand is not a thinking country and readily accepts the role of doing the world's dirty labor

Not even close to being true.  According to the 2014 Burma Census, 1,418,472 former Burmese residents, including 812,798 men and 605,674 women, were living in Thailand, constituting about 70% of Burma's overseas population.  Thais import Burmese and Lao and Khmer labor to do the dirty labor they don't want to do.  Estimates range up to 3 million imported laborers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burmese_in_Thailand

In a move that signals Thailand’s commitment to innovation and developing advanced technologies, the national space agency said last week it will ask the Cabinet to approve and fund its plan for the first Thai-built satellite, a four-year project that will cost roughly $31 million and be used for security and economic purposes, and to monitor near-earth objects.

http://thaiembdc.org/2018/02/12/space-agency-seeks-approval-for-first-thai-built-satellite/

Everything else in your post is also wrong but I don't want to take up too much space. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Good point.

For years and years, Thai's have been the backbone labor for the Japanese Car Manufacturers in Thailand.

Yet not one has ever risen with a plausible design to build a Thai car that can compete with the Japanese.

I guess you have never worked in the automotive business.  1.  Costs about 2 billion to start a car company - ask Tesla.  2. Cars will soon disappear from cities.  3.  Thailand is not a communist country the means of production are not owned by the state.  It is not an good economic choice to get into the automotive business right now. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Farmers only work many hours per day during planting and harvesting that gives them more time to think if they are inclined to think. 

It seems that you are confusing "to think" with "to sleep"!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

It seems that you are confusing "to think" with "to sleep"!

I wrote, " Farmers only work many hours per day during planting and harvesting that gives them more time to think if they are inclined to think." 

"If they are inclined"  You are confusing if.  It means maybe.  Some great thinkers were farmers.  I didn't say all. 

Scientific Nobel Prize (physics...) would be even better...

You are suggesting that everyone who does not have a Noble prize is against thinking.  Which is absurd.

Thailand is not the UK or US.  You are trying to compare the two.  Thailand will probably never win a gold medal in Basketball either.  So?  Does that mean Thais don't like playing basketball? 

3 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

I am living in Isaan, I am riding on rural roads about 250 km a week, which makes me a "sala bum" expert.

The Isaan "sala bum" is a young male, aged between 16 and 35, who congregates with his peers under a sala, or in a motorbike repair shop. There are frantically inactive but make very loud noise by various means, they also share all sorts of substances they can buy with the money they extort from relatives and friends. Currently experts estimate that within their age group they represent 30% to 50% of the overall male population.

I got one living in his hut some 70 meters from my house, who's only possessions seem to be a motorbike and a set of speakers.  He will have a motorbike accident soon.

The use of anecdotal evidence to draw a conclusion is like using the NBA all-star teams to estimate the average height of Americans.

Anecdotal evidence is often used in politics, journalism, blogs and many other contexts to make or imply generalisations based on very limited and cherry-picked examples, rather than reliable statistical studies.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

21 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You are suggesting that everyone who does not have a Noble prize is against thinking.  Which is absurd.

Thailand is not the UK or US.  You are trying to compare the two.  Thailand will probably never win a gold medal in Basketball either.  So?  Does that mean Thais don't like playing basketball? 

I have not seen thai play basketball or even seen basketball courts.

have you?

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

I have not seen thai play basketball or even seen basketball courts.

have you?

Yep ! Have them in my town, right next to fitness machines/exercise area, court is also marked out as mini football area with hoops either end.Although I would say Volleyball is probably more popular in the University's (up here)

I think Netball was a European Game for Ladies who found Football and Rugby  bit violent. Then American Males who liked to copy Ladies, and leaping in the air screaming spotted it. Possibly when on a Flower Arranging tour of Holland but called it Basket Ball when they got home. It has the appeal of Syncronised Swimming to anyone who can put a Peaked Cap on the correct way. Same i think as they did with Rounders, another Euro "Ladies Jolly" they call Base Ball.

15 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Buddhists don't have a heaven and Buddha was not a god.  You may be thinking some kind of animism combo get it while it lasts Thai version of religion. 

I served with many Thais in the army and I can guarantee you they wear helmets in combat and duck when a rocket explodes.  The idea of predestination is more a Farang stereotype than a Thai reality.  I go to a Thai Forest Tradition Wat.

The contemporary Thai Forest Tradition is a down-to-earth, back to the roots movement that models its meditation practice and lifestyle on that of the Buddha and the early generations of his disciples. The advent of the modern age notwithstanding, forest monasteries still keep alive the ancient traditions through following the Buddhist Monastic Code of Discipline, the training rules laid down by the Buddha, known as the Vinaya

Thai Buddhism as it is practised by Thais is well mixed in with the animist religion the same as Christianity is with pagan beliefs.  Christmas and Easter are pre Christian pagan celebrations re-purposed here.    My comments stand.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Buddhists don't have a heaven and Buddha was not a god.  You may be thinking some kind of animism combo get it while it lasts Thai version of religion. 

I served with many Thais in the army and I can guarantee you they wear helmets in combat and duck when a rocket explodes.  The idea of predestination is more a Farang stereotype than a Thai reality.  I go to a Thai Forest Tradition Wat.

The contemporary Thai Forest Tradition is a down-to-earth, back to the roots movement that models its meditation practice and lifestyle on that of the Buddha and the early generations of his disciples. The advent of the modern age notwithstanding, forest monasteries still keep alive the ancient traditions through following the Buddhist Monastic Code of Discipline, the training rules laid down by the Buddha, known as the Vinaya

P.S.  My wife is also a follower of probably the same contemporary forest tradition as you and disagrees with many (but not all) of the aspects of the average Thai interpretation of Buddhism.  Common Thai Buddhism is VERY different from what you study.   I am surprised you do not know that.   You would obviously be shocked if you knew half the stuff Thais believe and consider to be part of your (only 2,500 year old) Buddhist practices.

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

For basketball there is a physical issue (how tall you are) that doesn't exist when it comes to intellectual performances.

In order to get a scientific Nobel prize, one needs to think, which of course doesn't mean that those who don't get prizes don't think...it's just that there aren't enough prizes to reward all the thinkers...

Having said that, in the long run, over a century, looking at the list of Nobel prize winners provides some useful information regarding which countries have contributed the most to the advance of human thought...at least in recent history...

For basketball there is a physical issue (how tall you are) that doesn't exist when it comes to intellectual performances.

In order to get a scientific Nobel prize, one needs to think, which of course doesn't mean that those who don't get prizes don't think...it's just that there aren't enough prizes to reward all the thinkers...

Having said that, in the long run, over a century, looking at the list of Nobel prize winners provides some useful information regarding which countries have contributed the most to the advance of human thought...at least in recent history...

Was the topic of this thread, "countries that have contributed the most to the advance of human thought in the period of time that it would make Western countries look smart?" Or.  "Why are Thai people against thinking?"  Obviously you get two entirely different answers.  

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

P.S.  My wife is also a follower of probably the same contemporary forest tradition as you and disagrees with many (but not all) of the aspects of the average Thai interpretation of Buddhism.  Common Thai Buddhism is VERY different from what you study.   I am surprised you do not know that.   You would obviously be shocked if you knew half the stuff Thais believe and consider to be part of your (only 2,500 year old) Buddhist practices.

What you are attempting to bash is Animism.  It is like televangelists in the West. Fruitcakes all.  Yes I have been to the temples with the slot machine fortune tellers.  Fruit loops.  All Americans are don't go to snake churches and those that do are nuts.  Same in any country.  There is a lowest common denominator everywhere. I can always find the worst or the best depending on the amount of anecdotal evidence I'm allowed. 

My wife sometimes points to my head and says "tick tock, tick tock"  I've never really been sure exactly what she is implying. Maybe its because I go cross eyed when I think to hard. 

I think that stopping govt paid education at grade 6 has a lot to do with it. If i was PM I would extend it to grade 12 no matter what cost and social upheaval.

Thais are just as smart as anyone given proper motivation.

14 minutes ago, lapd said:

I think that stopping govt paid education at grade 6 has a lot to do with it. If i was PM I would extend it to grade 12 no matter what cost and social upheaval.

Thais are just as smart as anyone given proper motivation.

Thailand education free to grade 9 Mattayom 3. 

I think most only go to grade 6 for whatever reason. Should be mandatory to 12. It would be a hard change for a relatively poor country where parents need their kids to start work at a young age. But it would improve the country

On 9/27/2018 at 9:57 AM, Dmaxdan said:

My wife sometimes points to my head and says "tick tock, tick tock"  I've never really been sure exactly what she is implying. Maybe its because I go cross eyed when I think to hard. 

Sure she wasn't saying "ting tong"?

24 minutes ago, lapd said:
28 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think most only go to grade 6 for whatever reason. Should be mandatory to 12. It would be a hard change for a relatively poor country where parents need their kids to start work at a young age. But it would improve the country

Children are required to attend six years of elementary school and at least the first three years of high school. Many rural children drop out early even though it is required.  Less so in cities.  I don't know that they drop out to work as kids can work before and after school as farm kids all over the world do.  I think they drop out to have babies and party. 

Properly motivated they will think very hard.  I know IT and software and a lot of Thai girls, who don't know anything about anything, can show me things I never knew were possible......on my Android phone.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

This post sums it up well IMO...……..

"When you look at Thailand as a whole, Thai's are world class laborers for the thinking countries.

Thai's being sent to pick strawberries in Sweden 

Thai's being domestic help in the middle east

Thai's being the backbone labor for all the Japanese Car Manufacturers in Thailand

Thai's working in foreign owned factories all over Thailand for 6,000 THB per month

The list goes on and on

If Thai's really were "Thinkers"?

1.       They might have their own space program

2.       They might be able to build their own world class cars, trains, motorbikes

3.       The might be able to tackle being one of the worst educational countries in the world

4.       They might be able to act like a true democracy, void of massive corruption

5.       They might have some Nobel Peace Prize Winners

6.       The might design their own smart phones instead of importing 50 million of them

The lists goes on and on and on and on and on

Thai's don't have the capacity for rational thought, but are pretty good at corruption (Some thinking, yes thinking, they will never get caught)

However, as we see the government tear down and re-claim properties all over the country, some didn't even think about what would happen if the winds of politics changed?

On average, it is pretty clear Thailand is not a thinking country and readily accepts the role of doing the world's dirty labor".

And so much more to add to this but why bother because it's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that they are not amongst the sharpest tools in the shed in anything apart from corruption or military coups!