Papaya Salad for a newbie + getting more fibre in diet (Constipation)

Bonobojt

Recently went 3 days without going for a number 2 (poop). Brought some prune juice and had to drink the whole bottle in one day to get things out. 

As much as I love the cheap Thai food of white rice, meat and little bit of vegetables, it clearly isn’t giving me enough fibre

papaya salad is a cheap Thai dish that has fibre but it’s raw salad and I fear I am at more risk of getting food poisoning from eating raw salads. Is this the case ? When buying at restaurants or street food, eating papaya salad is risky ? Compared to cooked food. Also can you get non spicy non seafood papaya salad?? 

(Can’t cook for myself) 

any tips on getting fibre in your diet in a cheap way.  I understand there is soluble fibre and insoluble fibre both are important.

Plenty of Thai vegetable only dishes avialable. My favourites are pad pak rua mit (stir fried mixed vegetables) and pad pak bung. ( stir fried swamp spinach). Both are served with garlic, which clears you out and are really tasty. If I eat at home I always replace rice with wholemeal or sourdough bread.

Most of us eat papaya salad here with no ill effects. The salad is made from peeled papaya so the rawness per se is not a health issue. Conceivably there could be a problem if the person making it has poor hygiene (transfer of bacteria from their hands) but that holds true for any food you get from a vendor and also in a restaurant; sometimes restaurants are actually worse and unlike the vendors you can't see what is going on.. At some point one has to just relax about these things.

Don't let them add the raw crab though.

You can specify how hot you want it by telling them exactly how many chilis to put in. In your case tell them only one ("sai prik met dee-o"). If that is still too hot for you then you need to tell them not to put any ("mai sai prik").

Oatmeal is also a good source if fiber and if where you are staying has a microwave or even just a hot water heater you can make it yourself.

You can also get actual stewed prunes here (not just the juice) and eating 1-2 each night will help.

Among the Thai fruits, tamarind is especially good in terms of fiber.

BIG C sells 500 gr hulled peanuts for 44 THB. Eat half of those in a day and the problem will be over. Ask me, how I know ???? 

Plan B, get Psyllium husks and take them with cold milk or let them turn the milk into pudding and eat that with fruit.

Forgot to mention, the cereal Kellogg All Bran is as good as oatmeal añd if course needs no cooking. Just add milk and sugar to taste. It is rather bland so you might like to add some fruit and/or cinnamon. 1 bowl a day -- morning or evening as you prefer - will definiely help. In addition to fiber it is fortified with many vitamins.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Forgot to mention, the cereal Kellogg All Bran is as good as oatmeal añd if course needs no cooking. Just add milk and sugar to taste. It is rather bland so you might like to add some fruit and/or cinnamon. 1 bowl a day -- morning or evening as you prefer - will definiely help. In addition to fiber it is fortified with many vitamins.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yup, this is how I start most days, with 1/3 cup Yolinda fat-free yogurt, fresh fruit (so easy to buy from street vendors, already cut-up) and a healthy topping of Kellogg All Bran with cinnamon. If you have a refrigerator in your room, you can make this your breakfast.  And most accommodations have refrigerators. 

The Yolinda yogurt is a little sour on its own, but with fresh fruit, it's much healthier than buying flavored yogurt.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:39 PM, watcharacters said:

A different approach?

I wasn't aware of services such as this until a  expat told me he did this for three solid days.

Tried to get me to consider it but I like my poop too much..

Why don't you try doing yourself at home ?    More private and much much cheaper.

If you think you need to detox ask the questions why, what is causing the discomfort; reasons can be diet, medication, lack of exercise.    Using senna or turmeric may also help if gas is a problem.

Toxins in the body from any source can cause tiredness, pain in different parts of the body e.g. arms, legs, headaches, irritability.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:38 AM, onlycw said:

BIG C sells 500 gr hulled peanuts for 44 THB. Eat half of those in a day and the problem will be over. Ask me, how I know ???? 

Plan B, get Psyllium husks and take them with cold milk or let them turn the milk into pudding and eat that with fruit.

I can buy a 1kg bag of same peanut for 64baht from my local store, ( not BigC ).

Don't forget these nuts, for a 100g serving have, 49g ( 76% ) of daily requirement but also have 7g saturated fat ( 34% of daily requirement ).     If you are eating 250g per day that's over 120% of daily fat requirement.   Your protein intake is 70% of RDA.  Peanuts, as with other nuts, are said to have a satiation factor !? do they, can you put the bag down easily ?

Peanuts are not easily digestable, they must be chewed to almost a paste in the mouth.    Ideally they should be consumed in the morning so that the digestive system is not overloaded at night.  They can cause excess gas if not chewed properly.   If eaten in the evening they can cause a rise in body temperature when trying to sleep.

Any form of nut should be a part of ones daily diet whether it is to increase protein intake or provide added fibre.

I am a vegan for the past 40 years and a vegetarian before that, it is difficult to find "good" sources of protein, especially if you want to try and find truly organic foods.     

The original poster could look at detoxing at home, the constipation could be caused by numerous factors including medication, diet, exercise etc.

3 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Why don't you try doing yourself at home ?    More private and much much cheaper.

If you think you need to detox ask the questions why, what is causing the discomfort; reasons can be diet, medication, lack of exercise.    Using senna or turmeric may also help if gas is a problem.

Toxins in the body from any source can cause tiredness, pain in different parts of the body e.g. arms, legs, headaches, irritability.

Thanks for the suggestion,  Speed, but I'll respectfully pass  on it    I mostly posted it as humor but I realize some take it  very seriously.     To hear the exploit of the expat I know and his co-colonic partner had me laughing.

Maybe you've given the experience a whirl?

Bananas. Porridge Oats, Spuds. Raisins, Nuts, Baked Beans on Brown Bread Toast. Most fruit and veg really.

But if you find you have to eat an excessive amount of the above then perhaps there is a medical issue such as IBS/C.

Your answer may lay in brisk exercise too.

if you have cooking facilities and some cooking smarts dahl and bean curries with veg (potatoes, greens, etc) are guaranteed to give a good daily bowel movement, very nice with freshly made chapattis...also a bean salad, see google for tons of recipes...beans are 'fiber city'...

it helps a lot when you have canned beans available so you don't havta mess with soaking and cooking the beans...except for the dahl, dried split mung beans that cooks up directly like a porridge, but gotta wash them before cooking until the water runs clear...

when I got canned beans available, red kidneys, borlottis, navy beans, cannellinis , garbanzos (chick peas), etc simply rinse and keep in the fridge to snack on during the day, grab a handful...them bowel movements cant be beat...the beans alone have their own flavor which is quite nice, I think...

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

Other food options:  hoi thot (mussel pancake served with a large portion of bean sprouts and chilli sauce), chompu (dragonfruit).  Chompu's little seeds speed things along down below.

Chompu is actually rose apple, dragonfruit is gaeo mongkon, though both are sii chompu (pink colour)  ????

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, blackhorse said:

psyllium husk.

Good karma health store in phuket will post it via EMS.

One 600 baht bag will last for months

Psyllium husk and its equivalents can cause problems for those folk with slow digestive systems and can even exacerbate the problems, so fibre of this sort is not advisable for them.

Fruit is a better bet and one can Google the ones that are high on the list to reduce constipation.

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Chompu is actually rose apple, dragonfruit is gaeo mongkon, though both are sii chompu (pink colour)  ????

Quite right.  It's dragonfruit that has the laxative effect.

Archived