Gen Prawit orders help for boxing hero Somrak facing bankruptcy

webfact

Gen Prawit orders help for boxing hero Somrak facing bankruptcy  

Somrak.jpg

He was once one of Thailand’s most celebrated boxing heroes and, undoubtedly, one of the richest as well.  But 22 years after clinching the first boxing gold medal in the Olympic Games that brought him both fame and wealth, Somrak Kamgsinh is now sinking in a pool of debts and is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Somrak definitely is needing all the help he can get to get through his biggest life crisis. And it was Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan who had to step in to offer a helping hand – not as a powerful figure in the ruling military junta, but as president of the Thai Olympic Committee.

A well-informed source close to Gen Prawit said the deputy prime minister regards Somrak as a national sports hero who had brought fame to the country and deserves to be helped when in troubles.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/gen-prawit-orders-help-for-boxing-hero-somrak-facing-bankruptcy/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-09-28
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with this is that it happens too often everywhere around the world.  

Look at the US and UK and you will see it.  

While some make good money and are big stars others seek out an existence and once they can no longer fight have trouble.  

Word is that the Philippine senator wants a fight with Mayfield not for the honour of a rematch but because he is almost bankrupt also.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The problem with this is that it happens too often everywhere around the world.  

Look at the US and UK and you will see it.  

While some make good money and are big stars others seek out an existence and once they can no longer fight have trouble.  

Word is that the Philippine senator wants a fight with Mayfield not for the honour of a rematch but because he is almost bankrupt also.

All these blokes seem to have an entorage(spelling) of twenty or thirty people all after a share of the cake.once it's gone they disappear.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

Let this be a lesson for those who are thrust into the public gaze. The light from the limelight fades if you do not do something positive.

And if you allow your personal information, especially finances. to be published and if you allow others to 'manage' your finances.

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

Let this be a lesson for those who are thrust into the public gaze. The light from the limelight fades if you do not do something positive.

Article says he had a business that isn't doing to well. He's tried to do something positive I suppose but it just hasn't worked out. 

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Plenty of vacancies at McThai mate. Time to work for a living and maybe you'll learn how to manage your money properly this time around. 

" Somrak who is currently a captain in the Royal Thai Navy "

Sounds like he already has a day job.

I am a journalist and interviewed him about 12 years ago. I met him at his Bangkok gym (which he owned) and he was in a military uniform because the Navy had given him a job. Presumably, so they could win inter-departmental friendly boxing/Muay Thai competitions. Or just for the kudos. He was a really nice and very relaxed guy. Obviously, being good at something doesn't necessarily mean you are good with cash.

3 minutes ago, digger70 said:

So an other self inflicted Problem, Living the Hi So Life and Blowing away his Money. No one bails me out if I can't pay my debts ,,,,why should He be ,,,,

He seems to be handling everything pretty well and  certainly isn't whinging about his state of affairs.

"Somrak, as boastful as he has always been, declared that he would be able to handle the debts problem himself and would not need help from others.

“I have been getting offers of help but have turned them down because I don’t want to burden other people with my problem,” said Somrak who is currently a captain in the Royal Thai Navy."

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Does he not work for a living - say in a gym? Surely his expertise would benefit young Thai boxers in becoming future Olympic champions.

That would mean going to work, voluntarily . . . nahh!

7 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Has he sold the gold medal?

Yeah.. I bet all the family silvers gone too !!!!

Sorry no sympathy for him.. I bet during his golden years he had lots of family & friends to support..

let them now help him when all the wealth has been blown !!

• Thanks 1