Where to go for good quality STI and HIV tests ?

Bonobojt

In Bangkok 

ive had sex many times in the last month with many women 

and I should get checked. 

2018 now so maybe things have changed  and I’m wondering where’s the best place to go, a hospital or the Thai Red Cross ?  For good quality tests with the fastest most accurate results.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A whole bunch of things fall into the Sexually Transmissible Infection category so there is no single test. If you don't have obvious symptoms you can rule most out. Start by looking at your pecker. It's said a HIV infection starts with an extreme bout of illness then subsides. Hep is another you have to worry about. HIV and Hepatitis are all you need to test for the rest will show up as warts, blisters, painful urination etc. If you have either of those you're in trouble for the rest of your shorter than average life. 

13 minutes ago, harrycallahan said:

A whole bunch of things fall into the Sexually Transmissible Infection category so there is no single test. If you don't have obvious symptoms you can rule most out. Start by looking at your pecker. It's said a HIV infection starts with an extreme bout of illness then subsides. Hep is another you have to worry about. HIV and Hepatitis are all you need to test for the rest will show up as warts, blisters, painful urination etc. If you have either of those you're in trouble for the rest of your shorter than average life. 

Many people get a routine sexual health checkup that involves a broad spectrum of tests. If you have had penetrative sex without a condom, then you should include a HIV test. A blood test will usually tell you whether you have some kind of infection going on - if so, you can get tested for the usual stuff. Many STIs take time to show symptoms and you may have to go again, say in a month's time. You should also ask about follow-up test for HIV as it will only test you for infections up until a certain date. Of course, many STIs show no symptoms, especially in certain people and just because you did not get symptoms of a certain type means very little.

Contrary to what harrycallahan says, HIV and hepatitis do not have to shorten your life if you get tested and seek treatment. His information dates back to the 1990s or earlier. Mortality from HIV?AIDS related illness for people on medication is so close to those who never got HIV/AIDS as to be negligble.

29 minutes ago, harrycallahan said:

HIV and Hepatitis are all you need to test for the rest will show up as warts, blisters, painful urination etc. If you have either of those you're in trouble for the rest of your shorter than average life. 

Total BS. Life expectancy for patients under treatment is the same as average.

1 hour ago, harrycallahan said:

HIV and Hepatitis are all you need to test for the rest will show up as warts, blisters, painful urination etc. If you have either of those you're in trouble for the rest of your shorter than average life. 

Pal of mine has Hiv, 2 tablets a day forever, and a condom when he has sex.

That's about it, no eating/drinking restrictions, no loss of life expectancy.

Much easier than diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, strokes, heart disease, Crohn's, IBS, etc.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

"and a condom when he has sex?!"

He has sex with partners who are not HIV positive and dint know he Is?!.!

You friend should be strung up.

1 hour ago, harrycallahan said:

You really ought to get your facts right before you start posting inaccurate information 

I see a doctor at Bangkok Hospital-Pattaya on a regular basis to monitor and treat my chronic gout.  She requires a blood test before each consultation to monitor not only the gout, but liver and kidney functions. 

On a recent visit, I decided to ask the nurse at the intake desk to throw in an STI panel and HIV test since it has been several years since I've been tested, and I've had asymptomatic syphilis before.  You would have thought I was the first person in the history of civilization to request such tests.  I was asked by several nurses, both individually and as a group, why on earth I would want such tests.  They just couldn't seem to wrap their mind around it.  The nurse who finally agreed to the addition of the tests scowled and sneered that "Farang t'ink too mutt" (!).

I had to specify which tests I wanted, and all I could think of off the top of my head was syphilis, gonorrhea and HIV.  She declined to test for gonorrhea since I showed no outward symptoms.  

For a revenue-motivated institution, I was quite taken aback at their attitude.  I mean, don't they make money on those tests?

8 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I see a doctor at Bangkok Hospital-Pattaya on a regular basis to monitor and treat my chronic gout.  She requires a blood test before each consultation to monitor not only the gout, but liver and kidney functions. 

On a recent visit, I decided to ask the nurse at the intake desk to throw in an STI panel and HIV test since it has been several years since I've been tested, and I've had asymptomatic syphilis before.  You would have thought I was the first person in the history of civilization to request such tests.  I was asked by several nurses, both individually and as a group, why on earth I would want such tests.  They just couldn't seem to wrap their mind around it.  The nurse who finally agreed to the addition of the tests scowled and sneered that "Farang t'ink too mutt" (!).

I had to specify which tests I wanted, and all I could think of off the top of my head was syphilis, gonorrhea and HIV.  She declined to test for gonorrhea since I showed no outward symptoms.  

For a revenue-motivated institution, I was quite taken aback at their attitude.  I mean, don't they make money on those tests?

One STD which is common and rife in places like the Philippines is Chlamydia.   For some odd reason, it is not normally tested for in Thailand, according to my Thai doctor.   

The experts say there are no obvious symptoms, but there are long-term effects.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the medication for 'morning after' for those foolish enough to have unprotected sex.

9 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Doctors normally are responsible for deciding what tests to perform so expect nurse felt on the spot.  I have had them add tests for me (doctor not available) with notation that patient directed test but expect they get heat from some doctors when they do.  

2 hours ago, harrycallahan said:

well harry callahan, that all depends on how lucky you're feeling today

2 hours ago, orchis said:
2 hours ago, harrycallahan said:

Total BS. Life expectancy for patients under treatment is the same as average.

it is literally so easy and fast nowadays to look things up. no need to go the university or hospital library and sift through journals and textbooks.    harrycallahan is largely correct.  not infrequently the first symptoms of hiv infection are that of having the flu, which certainly can be perceived as a formidable illness

================================================================================

Two US studies show that hepatitis C has a major impact on life expectancy

Michael Carter

Published:

27 May 2014

Infection with hepatitis C virus (HCV) has a significant impact on life expectancy, results of two US studies published in the online edition of Clinical Infectious Diseases show. In New York City, 94% of people dying with HIV and HCV co-infection were under the age of 65, and an analysis of the death certificate records of people enrolled in a large cohort study showed that people with HCV were dying an average of 15 years earlier than individuals without the infection.

http://www.infohep.org/Two-US-studies-show-that-hepatitis-C-has-a-major-impact-on-life-expectancy/page/2842841/

Glad to hear of your sexual adventures and even more glad you're one of the good ones at least curious of you and your partners' safety. 

I go for my triannual full screening at the Red Cross. They have very good consulting, they don't judge and it's inexpensive. You get tested for all the regulars (HPV, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, etc.) as well as a blood screening for syphilis and HIV. 

All of these can be contracted and carried without symptoms for very long periods and only noticed too late with serious complications, contrary to common belief. Tons of working girls and boys are symptomless carriers with very antibiotic resistant strains. 

Syphilis can be near symptomless until stage 3, when it can turn lethal. HIV can be symptomless until it develops into AIDS, which is near lethal. People say you get the HIV flu after contraction, but that's not very true, there different strains of HIV as well and people react very differently, HIV also generally gives false negatives within the first 3 months so if you think you've been in HIV positive contact you should go right away and again for a check-up after 3 months. 

TL;DR - Red Cross STI clinic right by Ratchadamri BTS provides quick and reliable results, consultancy and medication for very cheap prices without judgement often experienced in Thai hospitals. 

3 hours ago, harrycallahan said:

The above is the WORST ADVICE EVER - and it is just plain wrong! Many Sexually transmitted diseases including HIV don't present with immediate symptoms. You are right to want to get checked and you want to make sure it's by an office, clinic or hospital that is credible with a dependable infectious disease department and up to date, inspected equipment. Just like in other areas in Thailand and across Asia - there are a lot of counterfeit supplies, medicines, testing in the medical industry. What good are tests, if you don't have confidence that they are actually accurate? Don't take chances with your health. If you have contracted something, you need to know and start treatment immediately. If it were me or my brother, I would say skip the storefront clinics and go to an actual hospital where you know they will have the equipment, personnel and medical expertise to take care of you. There are good JCI accredited hospitals in all major areas of Thailand. This kind of testing will be routine for them. If in Bangkok, head to Bumrungrad Hospital - super modern, clean, efficient. I've been there myself. I am also a Medical Doctor, myself. Good luck. And please keep condoms with you if you are going to be sexually active. ???? 

3 hours ago, harrycallahan said:

so are you feeling lucky today punk?

3 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Contrary to what harrycallahan says, HIV and hepatitis do not have to shorten your life if you get tested and seek treatment. His information dates back to the 1990s or earlier. Mortality from HIV?AIDS related illness for people on medication is so close to those who never got HIV/AIDS as to be negligble.

You are absolutely correct

But the sensible thing is not to get into a mindset where one has unprotected sex as a matter of course, especially if the target object is bargirls, street workers or teenagers.

HIV is not yet curable and although close, there is no guarantee that it ever will because of viral mutations.

So does one really want to take the chance just because of the perceived idea that condoms reduce sensation when in fact they are now so thin but strong that they reduce very little sensation, if any at all.

Remember also that several sti’s can reside in the throat and many carriers get No symptoms, many also ignore it if they do have symptoms. Quite happy to pass it on rather than spend around 400baht and take a week off to cure it.

Well it's pleasing in a way that some of this information has come out because there seems to be quite a few different views on it.

The most worrying thing for me is that the original poster contracted an STI on his last visit here, and then proceeded to seek all sorts of medical advice as to the antibiotics he should take, the tests that he had and how he was feeling. In addition worrying about the effects the antibiotics would have on his system, what foods he should eat to counteract that and so on.

I and others, as I recall, advised him to use a condom, however that advice doesn't seem to have been taken on board and I'm really not sure as to how much time one should spend on answering his particular questions, unless of course it is of use to other posters.

13 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

Another really stupid stupid question. Did it ever cross your simple mind to go to a reputable private hospital?

if you are referring to my statement "so are you feeling lucky today punk?" i suggest you look at the pseudonym "harry callahan" and think about a super famous well known line from dirty harry movies.   then take a few deep breaths and exhale slowly

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

not infrequently the first symptoms of hiv infection are that of having the flu

First sign my pal had was pneumonia.

He asked the doctor when he caught HIV, and the reply was sometime in the last 15 years.

(and he's a complete hetero, no drugs)

56 minutes ago, artotle said:

People say you get the HIV flu after contraction, but that's not very true, there different strains of HIV as well and people react very differently,

table 1 . shows a significant number of flu like symptoms, though as you say is not 100% in everyone.

the other table is quite significant also in that there are so many viral etiology processes (flu like symptoms and signs)

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2010/0515/p1239.html

595453275_ScreenShot2018-10-01at5_13_27PM.png.b7bdcb1d994d04569a612be11938ec7d.png2068660063_ScreenShot2018-10-01at5_13_06PM.png.cc7566fde7b92843c748f4dc9900901f.png

1 hour ago, Cactus99 said:

The above is the WORST ADVICE EVER - and it is just plain wrong! Many Sexually transmitted diseases including HIV don't present with immediate symptoms. You are right to want to get checked and you want to make sure it's by an office, clinic or hospital that is credible with a dependable infectious disease department and up to date, inspected equipment. Just like in other areas in Thailand and across Asia - there are a lot of counterfeit supplies, medicines, testing in the medical industry. What good are tests, if you don't have confidence that they are actually accurate? Don't take chances with your health. If you have contracted something, you need to know and start treatment immediately. If it were me or my brother, I would say skip the storefront clinics and go to an actual hospital where you know they will have the equipment, personnel and medical expertise to take care of you. There are good JCI accredited hospitals in all major areas of Thailand. This kind of testing will be routine for them. If in Bangkok, head to Bumrungrad Hospital - super modern, clean, efficient. I've been there myself. I am also a Medical Doctor, myself. Good luck. And please keep condoms with you if you are going to be sexually active. ???? 

doctor, is there any truth to the claim azithromycin effectively treats multiple different sexually transmitted diseases?

13 minutes ago, atyclb said:

table 1 . shows a significant number of flu like symptoms, though as you say is not 100% in everyone.

the other table is quite significant also in that there are so many viral etiology processes (flu like symptoms and signs)

True enough, I'm not saying they don't exist. I'm saying get tested a few times whether or not you have flu like symptoms after you've had unprotected sex with someone who might be positive. 

3 hours ago, soistalker said:

"and a condom when he has sex?!"

He has sex with partners who are not HIV positive and dint know he Is?!.!

You friend should be strung up.

If viral load is at or near zero, hypothetically you don't even need a condom, unless it's to protect the carrier of the HIV from opportunistic infection. 

The virus is what causes the disease, not having seroconverted and subsequently on ART with confirmed negligible viral loads. 

The most dangerous partners are the recently seroconverted with high viral loads, who do not know they've gone +

HIV is not easy to get if you're male with female Partners, and cannot be transmitted with a near zero viral load. These drugs are so effective now, that even small amounts of blood contamination present a near zero risk. Obviously health professionals will not encourage such advice, but these are the updated facts about HIV treatments. 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

That's about it, no eating/drinking restrictions, no loss of life expectancy.

Much easier than diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, strokes, heart disease, Crohn's, IBS, etc.

Then your pal must be on old meds. Life depends on the patients lifestyle. Weight loss and many other niggling problems follow. This is a life changer. Terrible illness. The best meds are 6 a day. The meds you refer to are the old cheaper antvirals

1 minute ago, Media1 said:

Then your pal must be on old meds. Life depends on the patients lifestyle. Weight loss and many other niggling problems follow. This is a life changer. Terrible illness. The best meds are 6 a day. The meds you refer to are the old cheaper antvirals

You're wrong.

Archived