Best 32" TV, Kodi/Droid/Smart TV??

Number 6

I have two questions. I'd given our old TV to the MiL last year and now the wife is bugging me for a new one. Looking at Amazon the prices appear 50% less than Thailand. Many electronics have become more price competitive with US like laptops, but this is ridiculous. I'm seeing old, tired TVs in BigC for 7k up.

Could someone recommend a model in Thailand 32" TV? I'd considered TCL but read some poor reviews. I also won't buy LG bc they would not replace by phone even as they lost class action lawsuit. So I'm boycotting for life.

I have lots of 720p movies so full HD is not really required. Our cable connection is not digital nothing to gain there as well.

Streaming...I think our connection might be too slow, intermittent, especially for full hd but willing to shell out a few K to give it a go.

I can also wait on the streaming thing and buy Roku in US in a year??

Thinking Kodi or Droid box? I'm really after free stations and stuff bc I don't watch TV that much. I don't really know what Hulu offers, etc but doubt I'd be interested. Netflix might have appeal for us.

PS I'd bought a Sony last TV, it was okay but I found the remote overly confusing, which is surprising for Sony but whatever.

Thank you

You ask for "best" but then cite your needs as not requiring anything near that.

Why not check Lazada for units that you may like - price should be very low for what you need and any should be fine.  As for TCL have found them very good myself but there is an extended delay booting when you turn on (all have some delay but these seem longer).  Still have several TCL from almost a decade ago working fine.  

Hi, thanks. Fair enough. Maybe best value? Thanks for your response anyway. Yes, I'd read a solid article on TCL but when I was poking around Amazon there were lots of poor reviews. They don't seem any cheaper than other TVs here anyway. Just really shocked at the prices, not even close to us market. I don't want to buy online, returns, open boxes...

The US still thinks HD is 720 and sets are built to sell at lowest costs due to market size and easy replacement of failed units.  With price here of 32" starting at 4K really do not believe they are that overpriced.  For largest/top spec models would agree, like most such stuff, price here will be inflated due small market and import by high markup merchants.

56 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Hi, thanks. Fair enough. Maybe best value? Thanks for your response anyway. Yes, I'd read a solid article on TCL but when I was poking around Amazon there were lots of poor reviews. They don't seem any cheaper than other TVs here anyway. Just really shocked at the prices, not even close to us market. I don't want to buy online, returns, open boxes...

If you are not buying online then the US/amazon prices are a mute point. The shipping from amazon etc can literally double the price, a $150 tv will cost $150 to ship.

image.png.431ad1808a6e44b7af51c6c9df5840e7.png

If you dont want UHD or smart, buying a droidbox later etc. That limits to to BigC, powerbuy locally.

A 32" basic TV around 4-5k.

Branding probably not that important as most of the components and screen etc come from the same factories.

You may want to look at the local Thai brand Altron, its a thai company thats been making TVs since the 60s, Thai factories and service centrers, long warranty etc.

Edited by Peterw42

Thanks for that. No, just comparing US price. Wasn't going to have it shipped. But the prices should be roughly the same. I'm finding these TVs are old and expensive and TCL is effectively the same price as the others.

No, I'd never buy an Altron. 

My local big C in central BKK, very marginal, older model 7-8k. It's what prompted my post. I swear its a conspiracy, typical of Thailand pushing old stock at full retail. 

Edited by Number 6

TBH, I don't know why you're really complaining about prices here.

It's pointless comparing prices in your home country. It is what is is.

Anywhere between 6000 and 8000 Baht will get you a decent TV that should last

around 5 years at least.

That's pretty good value IMO.

The best TV for you appears to center around cost. Decide what brand you want, then start comparing prices from local retailers. I have bought 2 TV's from the local Tesco store in the last 2 years, a 42" Samsung and a 43" LG SmartTV.  Both purchases were spur of the moment due to their sale price. I bought the Samsung to stream from the internet and for gaming. The LG was recently purchased for my wife's enjoyment. Between the two, I saved over 7000 baht off the regular price. 

For internet streaming even with 3BB's 20/4 plan, I had no problem streaming US TV, BBC or Netflix US in 1080 format. If you have a computer you don't need Roku or an Android box.  The only buttons I use on the TV remote are the power button, volume and mute. Everything else is controlled with my laptop and mouse.