Advice on my experience at Suvarnabhumi airport

26 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If he is named as the father on the Thai birth certificate, this is sufficient for him to be regarded as the father at many (all?) Thai consulates. The problem is that most consulates will only provide a single Non O, and (at least those close to Thailand) generally require financial proof also.

Really?

They insisted I had 100% custody as well as named on the birth certificate.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They insisted I had 100% custody as well as named on the birth certificate.

Where?

Custody is not normally a requirement. Some may want proof you are the legal father by marriage or legitimization.

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Chiang Mai of course.

That would be to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. Immigration requires you to be legal parent of your child. Normally they will accept joint custody.

The discussion was about getting non-o visa at a embassy or consulate.

I don't like bribery but trust me, immigration officers do not get much in the way of pay and most can barely afford their uniforms. 1,000 baht (a little over $30 US dollars) is a small price to pay for the convenience of getting stamped through. Every time a low level official accepts a bribe, he/she is required to donate to the top brass.  Someone has to pay for those luxurious houses and brat's sports cars.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dreckenfousnoll said:

you record his phone call and not asked/told him or asked permision this alone is against the law and he can sue you..

Maybe not admissible as evidence because you violate his civil rights by not informing him that he was being recorded?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Khun Tae said:

Let's be fair. Registered and make your marriage legitimate. You can't do this back home. There's regulation everywhere including Thailand, immigration here is no longer like the past. I do not support bribery but you know you should count yourself lucky encounter. What if you are blacklist? You lose more. Again you can't do this back home.

Maybe op is already married in Singapore and his Thai wife is actually his mistress? I know of many Singaporeans with such arrangements....

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about OP's story.

So OP broke immigration regulations by abusing visa-exempt entries and a friendly immigration officer still allowed him to enter in exchange of a small bribe.

As far as I can understand the situation and if I believe OP's story, the IO did provide a good service and saved OP a trip back to Singapore, as well as provided OP with a way to re-enter in the future.

Yet OP is angry, the root cause being himself ignoring immigration regulations.

my advice to OP would be to regularize his situation with immigration, for example by registering his Thai marriage and obtain the corresponding visa.

If for some reason (for example like already being married in Singapore) OP doesn't want to register his marriage, then he could apply for a METV.

Someone in this thread said METV are free for Singaporeans, I reckon this type of visa would solve all his problems.

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Why do "we all need to stand against this"?  The only ones who need to stand against it are the ones who cannot meet Immigration's requirements.

It is wrong to divide families because a parent is not wealthy enough - most people would agree.  But I don't think it would matter a whit to the rule-makers if every farang on Earth opposed their policy decision.  Their charge is not to serve the will of foreigners - nor should it be.  If enough Thais opposed it - maybe then.

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

It would be naïve to think that authorities are monitoring the nonsense that gets posted here most of the time!  There is so much defamatory denigration of police, MPs, senior officials and slagging-off of Thai institutions by so many posters, so regularly, here that legal action would have been taken against most members a long time ago if Thai authorities gave a toss about what is said here!

Looking at it from the other side, specific to this forum, they could read and find out exactly where corruption is a problem and eliminate it. 

Many of us support law-and-order regarding immigration, having seen the incredible damage that can be done to a country/society when the rules are not strictly enforced to keep out freeloaders, illegal cheap-labor job-thieves, and others who do not share core common-values with the citizen-population.  I, for one, do not want to see Thailand overrun and wrecked by "open borders" policies. 

The corruption problems with immigration, and increasing difficulties staying here legally without agents in some areas, is a problem which pre-dates the last several administrations.  By fixing it, the current administration could be the heroes of the story - so no need to shoot the messengers.  Let's hope the new director will decide to be a good leader, and set things right.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Why do "we all need to stand against this"?  The only ones who need to stand against it are the ones who cannot meet Immigration's requirements.

And the financial requirement equals: deposit 400k in your Thai account for 2 months, do you think all foreigners living in Thai can meet up with this requirement. Because the most difficult part of the requirement is the bank statement 

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It is wrong to divide families because a parent is not wealthy enough - most people would agree.  But I don't think it would matter a whit to the rule-makers if every farang on Earth opposed their policy decision.  Their charge is not to serve the will of foreigners - nor should it be.  If enough Thais opposed it - maybe then.

I am not comfortable with the idea of means testing for allowing you to live with your spouse. However, Thailand is not unique in enforcing financial rules for spouse visas. Indeed, many Western countries require financial proof from the foreign spouse or their partner before issuing a visa.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am not comfortable with the idea of means testing for allowing you to live with your spouse. However, Thailand is not unique in enforcing financial rules for spouse visas. Indeed, many Western countries require financial proof from the foreign spouse or their partner before issuing a visa.

True about UK anyway. If you want to take your Thai wife to UK I believe it's 18,500 Sterling income per year or 63,000 in the bank.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:37 PM, Dreckenfousnoll said:

you record his phone call and not asked/told him or asked permision this alone is against the law and he can sue you..

All my mobile calls are recorded automatically, its proof of any conversation. Which law states this is illegal in Thailand?

Take it to Big Joke, he is the big wig at the immigration now - I hear. He then can talk to Big Green who can pull off Article 44 and close down Suvarnabhurmi. 

In all fairness, you‘re walking a tight rope here. Pay the fee and take it as a part of your traveling costs or get yourself a proper visa corresponding to your real reason for being in Thailand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Get married and then a 1 year visa from Savanakhet Laos, no need for money only every 3 months a border hop.

I had to state my income to get married in Thailand, and many amphurs won't accept the stamp from some Embassies.  I'm not sure how this applies to Singaporeans, or if he could marry her in his country with less trouble than it takes in Thailand, now.  It is possible more amphurs would be amenable to a Thai/Singapore marriage, than marriages to a Westerner.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I had to state my income to get married in Thailand, and many amphurs won't accept the stamp from some Embassies.  I'm not sure how this applies to Singaporeans, or if he could marry her in his country with less trouble than it takes in Thailand, now.  It is possible more amphurs would be amenable to a Thai/Singapore marriage, than marriages to a Westerner.

Didn't have any trouble 7 years ago in Bangkok.

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Didn't have any trouble 7 years ago in Bangkok.

It was much easier just 2 to 3 years ago.  When I started the process, I was using "how to" information from before they began to make things more difficult, and was caught off-guard.  After going amphur to amphur and being turned down (had all the paperwork, MFA certified, etc), I finally had to pay a marriage-agent who had a connection at an amphoe.  I kept a copy of all the required documentation, to ensure I could prove everything was done correctly.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:54 PM, See Will said:

Don't play smart mate, you report him and the story turns on you because YOU bribed HIM. Simple as that..

There are rules and if you don't follow them (even unknowingly) then i would say its a very kind move that you got helped.

How many times you can enter per year I don't know but what I know is that there is a limit.

Beside an unregistered marriage is as good as tits on a boar, hence I can only recommend to make it official and see that you get the right visa.

I am now 15 years official married and never had any problems

since 5 years I have a retirement visa either.. 

I agree totally. This guy doesn't have a clue of whom he is fighting against, for me it's a golden rule in Thailand of never ever getting into any kind of fight with police or officials, you always end up losing at the end.