Two Vietnamese men arrested for allegedly pickpocketing German tourist in Bangkok mall

Jonathan Fairfield

8 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

A relatively petty crime that happens hundreds of times a day.......So why has Big Joke got into the photo op again. you would think he had better things to do since his promotion.

Why not. He wants people to know he is to top Cop. Good on him. If you were promoted to the best sex matching you would want to be on the front pages. Get real.

Hey, he is one, (how do we say, SMART ASS.) he could be planning to get into the voting for the next Thai President. He has done what he said he would do. Good on him. People will trust him on his merits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

A relatively petty crime that happens hundreds of times a day

I don't know what is 'petty' about 87,000 baht being stolen. Should be classified as breaking and entering.

On the other hand, its foolish to be carrying that much money walking around in a crowed shopping mall.  

Hope the BIB are able to retrieve the stolen money and return it.

LeoTex

13 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

A relatively petty crime that happens hundreds of times a day.......So why has Big Joke got into the photo op again. you would think he had better things to do since his promotion.

Maybe hes there to encourage good police work ?

Its not  the first time Ive seen criticism of a proactive Thai on TV  .... some sad sacks are never happy !

12 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I was not using the word petty to describe something as not important, trivial, nor irrelevant to the victims but rather as the English definition of the term 'petty crime', as described in the Collins English Dictionary........

petty crime in British

(ˈpɛtɪ kraɪm)

noun
minor crimes such as theft, trespassing etc
He committed petty crime such as minor shoplifting.
a small crime such as minor theft, trespassing etc

87.000  baht may not be grand larceny but it is surely above trespassing and stealing 2 or 3 as opposed to stripping an orchard which might well net 87,000 baht.  Such an amount would be considered a serious matter to the person being deprived of his livelihood or his holiday entertainment budget.  Silly man for having it all in his pocket in a mall or on the street.   Keep it in the hotel safe or bank it into your credit or debit card. 

29 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

87.000  baht may not be grand larceny but it is surely above trespassing and stealing 2 or 3 as opposed to stripping an orchard which might well net 87,000 baht.  Such an amount would be considered a serious matter to the person being deprived of his livelihood or his holiday entertainment budget.  Silly man for having it all in his pocket in a mall or on the street.   Keep it in the hotel safe or bank it into your credit or debit card. 

In the US, the equivalent of a petty crime is a misdemeanor, depending on the state it can be as little as $1000 stolen to be considered a felony.  This case is not actually petty due to the amount stolen, and considering they were working as a team it is actually an organized crime, that could mean a doubled penalty in Thai law.

13 hours ago, CLW said:

Who carries 2,300 Euro in cash? Even if it is the whole budget for a holiday I would keep something in a safe place and not carry around.
Or did the thiefs steal his card?

Obviously, someone who has E2,300. Perhaps he had just arrived and carried it in with him; perhaps he was going to buy something. There are many reasons to carry cash.

11 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

In the US, the equivalent of a petty crime is a misdemeanor, depending on the state it can be as little as $1000 stolen to be considered a felony.  This case is not actually petty due to the amount stolen, and considering they were working as a team it is actually an organized crime, that could mean a doubled penalty in Thai law.

Good!

On 10/7/2018 at 1:26 PM, AhFarangJa said:

My point, Sir, was why is the top policeman in immigration getting involved in small time crime like this one. I doubt you would see the head of the Metropolitan police in London having his picture taken with someone arrested for stealing an atm card, or the top cop in New York being photographed with a car thief. I would have thought he had more important things to do with his time. Of course I realise here that it is all about photo ops, and being seen.

I agree the term “Petty” was correctly used. Petty Theft vs. Grand Theft. Wasn’t off topic per say, something that was observed.

When I saw the picture I thought why’s he involved strikes me to be a bit odd.

Seemed odd 12 Police (maybe more) in the station and cameras rolling. 

Misery loves company...... great song

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 11:40 AM, PEE TEE said:

I see you have a thing about Thais .in my opinion more foreigners are the ones who do the crimes . like stealing and pickpockets.  you are a guest in their country please don't knock them . 

Yes and only Burmese people rape and murder on kho Tao