British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:
1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Never use SWIFT transfer. Takes 3 to 5 days and costs me 500 baht.

I didn't have any viable alternatives as I wasn't sending money to myself, somebody else was sending it to me. It only takes 1-2 days in my experience though, certainly not 3-5.

I SWIFT money in. My overseas bank charges nothing for the service and the last wire took 21.5 hours. It's never more than 2 days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I  have transferred money back without a problem, as have many others, and I could go back home anytime I choose, still have 90% of my monetary assets in an Aussie bank. So wrong on both counts.

How do you do that? I've never transferred money back, but once I tried but I couldn't do it online. Do you have to fill out a special form to prove the money came from overseas? Surely the reference on the bank statement that the money came in from overseas should be enough, but it doesn't seem to be.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

I SWIFT money in. My overseas bank charges nothing for the service and the last wire took 21.5 hours. It's never more than 2 days.

Can I ask which bank ? Australian ?

1 hour ago, stewartthailand said:

The alternative is to pay in 65,000 baht per month into my Thai bank account. // 

I just don't see how this could be acceptable ??

If so, someone with only 65'000 baht could get his Retirement Extension by just putting it in and removing it from his account every month. :tongue:

Like a "65'000B during 1 year" requirement, certainly easier than a "800'000B during 3 months" one. :whistling:

No way it will happen!... IMHO.

20 minutes ago, Runamile said:

The last couple of entries seem to say it all. The Thais will not accept British Bank Statements. The British won't supply consular letters henceforward. Net result of the actions of both authorities is to force us to whack 65kBaht a month into a Thai bank account for the convenience of those authorities - there's no legal reason for any of the funds to be in Thailand.

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this in the last 1000 posts, but 65k deposited into an account once a month will not help new applicants without a year of depositing history, or any of us who have previously used income letters and not deposited 65k per month for at least a year. Depositing 65k per month for a couple of months is rather meaningless when trying to prove a yearly income of over 800k.

12 minutes ago, tropo said:

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this in the last 1000 posts, but 65k deposited into an account once a month will not help new applicants without a year of depositing history, or any of us who have previously used income letters and not deposited 65k per month for at least a year. Depositing 65k per month for a couple of months is rather meaningless when trying to prove a yearly income of over 800k.

It doesnt help anyone I have deposited an average of 65k per month over a 12 month period sometimes more sometimes less depending on the exchange rate but averaging out to meet the 65k..But until Immigration accept the Use of Bank Book / Statements the transactions are futile.

Edited by Expattaff1308

19 minutes ago, tropo said:

I have done a SWIFT transfer from my UK bank on numerous occasions. Quickest 3 days. Mostly 5 days. Cost=£9.60.

Using the method I described, 5 minutes from leaving my UK bank to being shown in my Thai bank.

Cost=£0

4 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

can anyone summarise the 1000+ responses to this?

Yes.....Its very similar to the talked about needing medical insurance to visit or live in Thailand....Its one big cluster-f*** ....

Edited by fforest1

Just now, Expattaff1308 said:

I have deposited an average of 65k per month over a 12 month period but until Immigration accept the Use of Bank Book / Statements the transactions are futile.

And even then, it would be shown as a transfer from your UK account to a Thai account. Not proof of income.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

It doesnt help anyone I have deposited an average of 65k per month over a 12 month period sometimes more sometimes less depending on the exchange rate but averaging out to meet the 65k..But until Immigration accept the Use of Bank Book / Statements the transactions are futile.

I realise this has not happened yet, but it's the suggestion of the British Embassy, isn't it?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I just don't see how this could be acceptable ??

If so, someone with only 65'000 baht could get his Retirement Extension by just putting it in and removing it from his account every month. :tongue:

Like a "65'000B during 1 year" requirement, certainly easier than a "800'000B during 3 months" one. :whistling:

No way it will happen!... IMHO.

Putting the money in either monthly or yearly and then spending is sort of the main point, its supposed to be spent, its the money you live off. In theory the money should come in on pay-day and be spent within the next month. 

Yes, you are right, depending on the definition of income, you could take it out of the ATM on Monday and deposit it back as income on Tuesday.

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

And even then, it would be shown as a transfer from your UK account to a Thai account. Not proof of income.

Thats another yet to clarified issue, does income need to be from outside Thailand, or what is the definition of income, I use Australian income letter and have only ever declared an amount, not where it came from etc.

I know expats that make their income from Thai stock market and Thai rental properties.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I have done a SWIFT transfer from my UK bank on numerous occasions. Quickest 3 days. Mostly 5 days. Cost=£9.60.

Using the method I described, 5 minutes from leaving my UK bank to being shown in my Thai bank.

Cost=£0

I have no idea of what method you described, but free SWIFT'ing from my account and waiting a day is good enough for me. Different banks will have different options, so your method (whatever it is) may not be available to all.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Putting the money in either monthly or yearly and then spending is sort of the main point, its supposed to be spent, its the money you live off. In theory the money should come in on pay-day and be spent within the next month. 

Yes, you are right, depending on the definition of income, you could take it out of the ATM on Monday and deposit it back as income on

Thats another yet to clarified issue, does income need to be from outside Thailand, or what is the definition of income, I use Australian income letter and have only ever declared an amount, not where it came from etc.

I know expats that make their income from Thai stock market and Thai rental properties.

In contrast, the US 'Income Letter' states the funds 'declared' are from 'sources within the United States.'

The letter is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Correct I get my state Pension by direct from the DWP to Kasikorn and I bring over my other pension monthly (amount depending on need & exchange rate) sometimes more sometimes less but over the year it would average out to 65k

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Realistically, until the service stops in December, then allowing a few months for the validity of said letter, the Thai I.O. has around 6 months to formulate and publish its requirements going forward as a result of this decision being made/announced by the British Embassy.  

Until an announcement is made everything else is just speculation. (IMHO)

Why would the Thai IO do anything other than reiterate that the "money in the bank" addresses all issues raised here? Up to you to tell them that you don't trust Thai banks, and... go.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

BE is writing and signing the letter. Wouldn't that be liability for the contents of the letter.

IMO, and I am not a lawyer, this simply states that they have received and viewed a letter from the pension people stating the pension amount so signing it simply verifies this? 

• Like 2

So,,,i'm on a Non O and want to extend based on marriage,,,,i cant apply until the last 30 days of my 90 day stamp, which is early December ( before the deadline date of the 12th), do I...

A) apply for letter of income the 'old way' by showing 40k in a uk bank account, then use it to apply in the original way

or

B) apply without a letter of income early December showing only 2 months of income transferred into a thai account ( as its only 2 months before I need to apply)

or

C)  do another visa run, and wait for a full 3 months of transfers from uk to thai accounts before applying for an extension?

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Realistically, until the service stops in December, then allowing a few months for the validity of said letter, the Thai I.O. has around 6 months to formulate and publish its requirements going forward as a result of this decision being made/announced by the British Embassy.  

Until an announcement is made everything else is just speculation. (IMHO)

Except today our IO told us 28th Dec would be the last day to submit an Income letter from the BE.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Its not my place to suggest or guess anything, I would rather wait for what is stated as required in the absence of the letter from the Embassy being available.

Funds to be deposited in a Thai bank, either 40 or 65K monthly, then bank statements as proof of income according to the BE.

I guess they'd accept 400,000 or 800,000 as an annual figure, but that would be logical thinking.

Anyone told Immigration yet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, David Walden said:

Yes Malaysia and more with their https://www.mm2h.com   their MM2H Visa. (my Malaysian 2 nd Home Visa.)   But it's for 10 years, you get to pray 5 times a day.  You do need a bit of money but you can come and go as often as you like and buy a car Tax free every 10 years and many other things.  You will be treated like one of the locals but you will have to look around a bit to find a bottle shop...not many. 

The privilege, at least for new MM2H visa holders, to buy a car tax-free was eliminated in October 2017

1 hour ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

If one is over 50, Malaysia requires a fixed deposit in a Malaysian bank of MYR 150,000 (USD 36,118 or THB 1,189,358) AND a monthly income of MYR 10,000 (USD 2,408 or THB 79,240)

That's for the elite only then .  So what about other types of visas for tourists who want to stay long term?  

• Like 1

Does anyone know what nationals of countries with no embassy in Thailand do if they wish to use the income method of financial proof for their extension?
That's a great question but usually such nations have a designated embassy in another country. I suppose if they couldn't get service from an embassy then income methods would be out.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, balo said:

That's for the elite only then .  So what about other types of visas for tourists who want to stay long term?  

If you're referring to Malaysia, so far as I know there aren't any long-stay type visas available to tourists; for most tourists, the only one available is a visa waiver on arrival, good for 90 days and a single entry.

I've seen anecdotal evidence of folks leaving and being allowed to re-enter with minimal scrutiny but I'd expect, like Thailand, that that would not be something to be relied upon for any significant period of time.

If you're referring to other countries, Indonesia has a retirement visa doesn't have a fixed deposit requirement and the monthly income amount is low and is quite liberal, but if one reads the fine print, Indonesia tacks on a couple of conditions that at first glance seem insignificant but once one takes a hard look at them appear, to me at least, to open s Pandora's box; for example, there is a minimum house purchase amount or house rental amount which would likely present a burden to folks having difficulty meeting Thailand's fixed deposit or monthly income requirements, the British embassy's 'liars' letters' notwithstanding.

As well, the retirement visa also requires the holder to agree to employee a maid at a certain, relatively low, monthly minimum wage; At first glance not a big issue - I'd simply pay her not to show up. However, I expect the visa holder would also have to make social insurance, health insurance payments, etc.

And Indonesia taxes retirees who meet the requirements of tax residency on all worldwide income and it appears that a pension, at least one from sources other than a government, is not exempt; at first glance, Indonesia's tax rates based on lower taxable incomes and tax due are not onerous, but if one exceeds those thresholds, the bite is severe, even by U.S. standards.

There's always the PI!

• Like 1