British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

1 hour ago, PAWNEESE said:

I WAS sympathetic to the Brit Embassy when they declared they can not and will not guarantees income claims are correct. Seemed logical but ....thinking about it more though  .... I was wrong.

They could just carry on saying we cant guarantee accuracy  .. keep providing the lettsrs written as "Mr x says he x income and he has provided docs .. etc"  

Then let Thailand accept or reject that wording.  Dont do anything or change anything. 

Let Thai Immigration do the stabbing in the back .. not those supposed to be on our side do it.

They could say .. we will not change the letter format or guarantee anything .. now YOU do what you want.

They have as the saying goes "thrown us under the bus"  Thrown a strop and said we aint playing any more .. Or more accurately we are going to not be on the side of our citizens.

Other embassys have a way of doing it and continueing it seems.  Being on the side of its citizens and helping them is what THEY claim to be one of the reasons they exist.

(London to Bkk): "Send a team to Indonesia to assist re Tsunami!"

(Bkk to London) "We can't, They're too busy writing 'letters to the headmaster!' "  

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I suppose another way would be to invest 500,000 into the Thailand elite card and get 5 years worry free visa .it does not mention anywhere that the elite card holder has to provide proof of income or 800,000 in the bank it’s an expensive way but it stops you worrying about having funds for the next 5 years !

Actually provided you leave and return to Thailand before Elite Visa expires you can actually get up to 6 years as you automatically get 1 year extension when you re-enter Thailand.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, New beginnings said:

Actually provided you leave and return to Thailand before Elite Visa expires you can actually get up to 6 years as you automatically get 1 year extension when you re-enter Thailand.

11 minutes ago, New beginnings said:

That’s even better 6 years for the price of 5 trouble is as my wife is English it would cost me 800,000 for two people ☹️

6 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

That’s even better 6 years for the price of 5 trouble is as my wife is English it would cost me 800,000 for two people ☹️

Wrong , if you legally married she can becomes dependant visa holder from you , or else you shift the dates from you and wife and use the same 800 K on different application dates

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, david555 said:

Wrong , if you legally married she can becomes dependant visa holder from you , or else you shift the dates from you and wife and use the same 800 K on different application dates

I think you will find Crazycopite is actually referring to the Thai Elite Visa giving 6 years of hassle free travel rather than the 800k baht yearly extension renewal requiring annual seasoning.

Edited by New beginnings

7 minutes ago, New beginnings said:

I think you will find Crazycopite is actually referring to the Thai Elite Visa giving 6 years of hassle free travel rather than the 800k baht yearly extension renewal requiring annual seasoning.

His line ,hence my understanding..

That’s even better 6 years for the price of 5 trouble is as my wife is English it would cost me 800,000 for two people  

1 minute ago, richiejom said:

I started this below, is it worth petitioning parliament? https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/230120/sponsors/new?token=DK30K4e4lQKtLa3JO0h8

It needs 5 people to sign to go live 'Reinstate Pension/Income Proof Letter at Bangkok UK Embassy'

Reinstate Pension/Income Letters at Bangkok British Embassy

As of the 12th of December 2018 British Citizens can no longer request a proof of income letter required to obtain a Retirement or Extension based on Marriage visa in Thailand

Other Countries Embassy's have an option to sign an affidavit that your income is true.   

The British Embassy has stated that this is because the Thai Immigration require proof that they cannot provide yet the current income letter already covers the embassy legally.  

The British Embassy has left us to resolve this with Thai immigration

The Thai immigration has not made any announcement and still requests the letter. Failing this retired or married Brits may be forced to transfer between £9-18,000 to a Thai bank as proof

petition.png

It's impossible for them to look at and put there name too peoples financial information in the way Thailand are asking. It's never going to happen with using them hundreds of hours manpower and people needing to sign disclosure orders to allow the information to be released.

7 minutes ago, richiejom said:

I started this below, is it worth petitioning parliament? https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/230120/sponsors/new?token=DK30K4e4lQKtLa3JO0h8

It needs 5 people to sign to go live 'Reinstate Pension/Income Proof Letter at Bangkok UK Embassy'

As of the 12th of December 2018 British Citizens can no longer request a proof of income letter required to obtain a Retirement or Extension based on Marriage visa in Thailand

Other Countries Embassy's have an option to sign an affidavit that your income is true.   

The British Embassy has stated that this is because the Thai Immigration require proof that they cannot provide yet the current income letter already covers the embassy legally.  

The Thai immigration has not made any announcement and still requests the letter. Failing this retired or married Brits may be forced to transfer between £9-18,000 to a Thai bank as proof

petition.png

Just signed !!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richiejom said:

So why are they not providing us with an alternative like other embassy's have? 

We'll find out when they review the petition anyway, it only requires 2 more people to sign

Nobody has any idea what the other Embassy's are doing yet. No Embassy can or will guarantee what you tell them. This enquiry as such, has been going on a while and this I suspect, is the start of it. The UK is simply the first to say that they just cannot comply with what Thailand is asking for in the way of guarantees of financial information.
Lets see what transpires over the next month or so. I suspect the UK won't be the one and only that say they cannot comply. I posted a link above which may help to understand where they are with it.

29 minutes ago, richiejom said:

petition.png

Thanks for this, I have signed it already ????

• Like 2

Nobody has any idea what the other Embassy's are doing yet. No Embassy can or will guarantee what you tell them. This enquiry as such, has been going on a while and this I suspect, is the start of it. The UK is simply the first to say that they just cannot comply with what Thailand is asking for in the way of guarantees of financial information.
Lets see what transpires over the next month or so. I suspect the UK won't be the one and only that say they cannot comply. I posted a link above which may help to understand where they are with it.
We know as of today that the British embassy is the only embassy that has taken this action.

There was a report here saying the U. S. has added new language to their document saying they don't take responsibility for the accuracy of the statement.

We know in Chiang Mai that immigration is requesting further evidence of claims made on the letters from Americans. But important points they are still requiring the letters and still accepting and approving legitimate applications from Americans.

Talking about income based applications of course. 800k applications don't use an embassy letter.

Its a really good question why the British can't add wording as the US embassy has which allows their nationals to continue to make applications with the understanding they may need to provide supporting evidence directly to immigration.

I have another thought which will make people groan but here goes. It is a burden for Thai immigration to examine the income evidence. They may need more staff to handle the extra work. Perhaps they should add a surcharge fee for the income based applications?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFAIK, the Thai banks will only issue a letter confirming you have an account and stating your current balance as the writing of the letter.

Beyond that, the banks will issue a certificated statement, and they usually charge you a couple hundred baht for that, showing all the transactions in your account over a period of time. Basically the same as what your bank book would show. Except, they do a printout on bank paperwork and stamp it.

That is not quite true. If like me you only update your bank book once in a blue moon, unlike a bank statement you only get a summary entry. It doesn't show what happened when. Otherwise as you say.

Been to do mine this morning, two and a half hours for the bank statement and then 20 mins at immigration to hand in docs for retirement extension(combination) and re-entry. No one available to sign so collect passport tomorrow.

37 minutes ago, richiejom said:

So why are they not providing us with an alternative like other embassy's have? 

We'll find out when they review the petition anyway, it only requires 2 more people to sign

I always thought the Thais were an impatient nation, you have proved me wrong.

Until the dust settles you cannot see properly what is going on.

Nobody has any idea what the other Embassy's are doing yet. No Embassy can or will guarantee what you tell them. This enquiry as such, has been going on a while and this I suspect, is the start of it. The UK is simply the first to say that they just cannot comply with what Thailand is asking for in the way of guarantees of financial information.
Lets see what transpires over the next month or so. I suspect the UK won't be the one and only that say they cannot comply. I posted a link above which may help to understand where they are with it.

I think we all know they cannot comply ... but Brit Embassy have taken an action that means big problems for its own citizens. THEY could easily keep doing what they have been doing for decades. Nothing more. Nothing less.  Thailand not ordering them to stop providing letters on existing basis are they ?

Then tell Thailand to tell Brits their income letters not acceptable.  But the embassy is not fighting our corner .. its saying ok WE
will screw up our citizens. Not saying you can decline the letters if you wish.

It not effect me. Got money but income method to keep visa essential for people with ties here and none in UK. Family etc. Let Thailand uproot them not Britain take action to force it.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Most evidence should go thro on the nod without verification. I submit Letters from The DWP (State Pension) and My CSP (Civil Service Pension) I then attach them to my Pension Letter for Immigration.

Surely the Embassy or Imm don't think that the DWP or Civil Service Pensions would falsify figures to meet my needs for the Thai Immigration.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PAWNEESE said:

Nobody has any idea what the other Embassy's are doing yet. No Embassy can or will guarantee what you tell them. This enquiry as such, has been going on a while and this I suspect, is the start of it. The UK is simply the first to say that they just cannot comply with what Thailand is asking for in the way of guarantees of financial information.
Lets see what transpires over the next month or so. I suspect the UK won't be the one and only that say they cannot comply. I posted a link above which may help to understand where they are with it.

I think we all know they cannot comply ... but Brit Embassy have taken an action that means big problems for its own citizens. THEY could easily keep doing what they have been doing for decades. Nothing more. Nothing less.  Thailand not ordering them to stop providing letters on existing basis are they ?

Then tell Thailand to tell Brits their income letters not acceptable.  But the embassy is not fighting our corner .. its saying ok WE

It not effect me. Got money but income method to keep visa essential for people with ties here and none in UK. Family etc. Let Thailand uproot them not Britain take action to force it.

All they need to do is carry out issuing the letters as before and let the Immigration decide what proof is or is not acceptable, much as they do when they occasionally ask those who submit statutory declarations to show proof.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

Most evidence should go thro on the nod without verification. I submit Letters from The DWP (State Pension) and My CSP (Civil Service Pension) I then attach them to my Pension Letter for Immigration.

Surely the Embassy or Imm don't think that the DWP or Civil Service Pensions would falsify figures to meet my needs for the Thai Immigration.

Exactly what i have been doing for the past 10 years with never a problem.

I suppose that it's technically possible for such documents to be forged but it doesn't seem very likely!

• Like 1

But the embassy is not fighting our corner .. its saying ok WE

Exactly - they just rolled over

Let Imm decide whats acceptable as proof or not. Like I posted earlier can you honestly see the DWP and other Pension Providers or Banks altering Statements etc etc just to satisfy our needs to meet the Imm criteria?...and that is what the Embassy should be saying to Immigration.

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 2

Actually we do have an idea what the other embassies are doing. Sweet FA

best to just stick to the facts and those are the facts unless you have inside info
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is not quite true. If like me you only update your bank book once in a blue moon, unlike a bank statement you only get a summary entry. It doesn't show what happened when. Otherwise as you say.

Yes, I have the same issue as you, in that I rarely use or update my bank books. And so in talking with my bank staff, I learned that they each have a set amount of transactions, up to 20 or so, that their their update machines will print out every transaction. But if the number of unprinted transactions since the last printed update is larger than the bank's limit, then then the update machine merely gives you a one line status as of that day, and not any of the many transactions that may have preceeded it. To me it's just stupid, but that's the way the Thai bank systems work.

[edited, the more I recalled, I think CIMB lately told me their system at least was based on number of unprinted transactions, not a period of time].

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 10/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, Spidey said:

This hasn't been my experience.

I have a single method of transferring monies from my UK account to my Thai account.

I have a Halifax Clarity CC which incurs zero foreign charges. Whenever my Thai account is getting low, I go to my local branch of BKK Bank and withdraw the required amount (typically 70k baht) on my CC. 60k is then deposited into my BKK bank account and 10k goes into my wallet. Not only is it free and instant (SWIFT transfer take 3-5 days and costs £9.60) but I get the Visa exchange rate on the day. I've checked this a number of times and found the rate as good as, if not better than TT money exchanges and always beats BKK Bank's rate by a margin. It also has the added advantage that, probably because the BKK Bank uses a chip and pin machine to make the transaction, my UK bank treats this as a purchase rather than a cash withdrawal. Therefore, if I pay the CC balance in a timely manner, I incur no CC charges.

Maybe but if you make a straightforward SWIFT transfer from the UK to Thailand and the money is converted into THB by the UK bank, you will get a terrible rate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, I have the same issue as you, in that I rarely use or update my bank books. And so in talking with my bank staff, I learned that they each have a set amount of time during which their update machines will print out every transaction, a couple of weeks to a month or something like that. And if the update interval is any longer, then the update machine merely gives you a one line status as of that day, and not any of the many transactions that may have preceeded it. To me it's just stupid, but that's the way the Thai bank systems work.

That's not stupid, that's pathetic

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It's impossible for them to look at and put there name too peoples financial information in the way Thailand are asking. It's never going to happen with using them hundreds of hours manpower and people needing to sign disclosure orders to allow the information to be released.

They seem to have managed just fine for the past 10 years that I've been getting them, and my guess is that there has been a decline in the number of UK retirees during recent years.

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, I have the same issue as you, in that I rarely use or update my bank books. And so in talking with my bank staff, I learned that they each have a set amount of time during which their update machines will print out every transaction, a couple of weeks to a month or something like that. And if the update interval is any longer, then the update machine merely gives you a one line status as of that day, and not any of the many transactions that may have preceeded it. To me it's just stupid, but that's the way the Thai bank systems work.

Yep, that's the way it works and why I never bother to update my bank book. To make matters even worse, I'd have to visit my home branch quite often to get a new bank book printed as they would quickly fill up if I regularly updated. I have no idea why I need a bank book for an ATM linked savings account. It's a waste of paper.

• Like 1