British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

1 minute ago, jimn said:

I get that and someone (may have been you) posted that before. But the fact is that The British Embassy has posted a statement saying that monthly income of 65k has to be proved via a Thai bank account. So this is going to crop up as an issue that needs clarifying. I dont believe for 1 minute that the embassy will issue the statement without any prior disscussions with Immigration. Where they choose to comment remains to be seen but it will be an issue that needs clarification.

Interesting. Personally I would bet that they have NOT received any such kind of official buy in from Thai immigration. Income letters are required for income based applications unless and until Thai immigration formally announces exceptions. 

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think it is a knee jerk reaction to something by them. It could be a problem with the higher ups in the UK telling them not to do them any more. You would think they could start allowing people to do a affirmation so they don't have to verify it.

I cannot comment more until more info is available.

Appreciate that thanks. 

I’m sure many people are waiting for your informed updates. 

Thanks again 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Either, Immigration will simply say NO, no consulate letter, no income method for you. Or, between now and then, will end up accepting some kind of alternate accommodation for Brits in terms of acceptable documentation showing monthly income.

You really think that Immigration could do a special rule for a few people coming from a small island far far away? :unsure:. Please be serious. :tongue:

I agree with the many members who already said that it will very probably be 800k or nothing, even if source of problems for a few people.

Some inflammatory posts and the replies have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

2 hours ago, galt67 said:

Commenters have mentioned using 'rental income from Thai properties', for example, as at least(?) part of their income thus meeting the threshold. Clearly, legally, this does NOT.

Why are some members always trying to find problems when there is none? :unsure:

There is nothing wrong or illegal in buying condos in Thailand and contracting with a Thai rental company who will take in charge the full rental work. Your only "work" is to check your bank account every month :smile:

I don't see why people doing so should not be authorised to use this income as proof of revenues for their extension. Until today it was no problem.

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Everything has changed.  I dont use a Thai bank account, so how do I prove I transferred money here?  Well I'm not dead yet,  and I manage to pay my rent and utilities, so I guess I must get living expenses from somewhere. 

How on earth can you live here and not use a Thai bank account. 

Yes as a tourist this is possible. 

Bring on the new lawa, let's get the quality visitors that Thailand deserves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozmeldo said:

All they care about is you have all your money seasoned and it's the correct amount.

No it isn't. As Peterw42 says below. I have the 800g's in a fixed term account. Allowed in the rules but they insist on seeing a ordinary account book showing transactions over the last 12 months as well.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Some immigration offices will actually question you if appears you are not spending it, they presume you must be working.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Why are some members always trying to find problems when there is none? :unsure:

There is nothing wrong or illegal in buying condos in Thailand and contracting with a Thai rental company who will take in charge the full rental work. Your only "work" is to check your bank account every month :smile:

I don't see why people doing so should not be authorised to use this income as proof of revenues for their extension. Until today it was no problem.

While you may not 'see', I am referencing the Thai Imm Regs which require the income to be foreign sourced. And, potentially, 'provable' depending on the IO.

The US 'income affidavit', for example, states 'sources in the United States.' (attached)

1 minute ago, blackhorse said:

There are not any new laws!

Yes there are. The ones made up by the officer you use. Every year they seem to interpret the rules differently to the year before. No 2 years ever seem to be the same.

47 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Aren't you married to a Thai like me?  switch to marriage visa its just 9000 sterling in the account then

I may end up doing that. Other option is to get the income letter from the embassy before Dec 12th and hope that Thai imigration honours it in late April. Its normally 6 months but with the fall out from this you never know.

5 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

There is only one small hitch.. There are not any new laws!

Either supply a link or stop spreading nonsense.

This is purely between the brits and there embassy

The embassy has acted for legal reasons. 

Therefore they are abiding by the laws that are in place. 

There must have been changes for them to act and soon to follow are the other embassies. 

• Like 1

There must have been changes for them to act and soon to follow are the other embassies. 

The embassy can NOT Change immigration law!

They can change internal policy.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

Now where is your link to thai immigration backing up your statement... Nope didn't think so.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, galt67 said:

While you may not 'see', I am referencing the Thai Imm Regs which require the income to be foreign sourced. And, potentially, 'provable' depending on the IO.

Source please ?

For me the official rules are from the Police Order 327/2557 - basis for extension of stay

and for Extension of Stay in the case of Retirement, see 2.22:

• (3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or
  • (4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date

There is nothing about foreign source...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

They interpret the rules as they see fit. Take the 'Bank Letter' as an example. I believe the law says it must be obtained up to 7 days in advance.  My office makes us get it on the day of application. Are you or I going to tell them they are wrong?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

When are farangs going to wake up. Thailand doesn't want us here. They want tourists who they believe spend more than long term residents. I know that to be not true but it's what they believe.

Can you provide a link please or is it just another conspiracy theory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Source please ?

For me the official rules are from the Police Order 327/2557 - basis for extension of stay

and for Extension of Stay in the case of Retirement, see 2.22:

• (3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or
  • (4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date

Fair point.

I was quoting from the 'US Embassy Bangok site':

must be able to provide proof of a pension or other regular income from a source outside of Thailand

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/thai-visas-americans/

And the American 'income affidavit' states the sworn amount is from 'sources in the United States'.

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

How do reach that nonsensical conclusion from a decision made by the British Foreign office?

I wasn't referring to the Foreign office I was referring to the way the Thais make us jump through hoops to remain here. I have 3 kids, do you think the Thai government gives a damn about them if I failed to come up with the requirement to stay here? Are there any appeal courts in Thailand to fight deportation? 

40 minutes ago, blackhorse said:
44 minutes ago, VYCM said:

The embassy can NOT Change immigration law!

They can change internal policy.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

Now where is your link to thai immigration backing up your statement... Nope didn't think so.

Please read my post and understand before replying, if you cannot read english i will try my best to translate to your native language.

I mentioned nothing about the embassy changing any laws. 

33 minutes ago, vogie said:
41 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

When are farangs going to wake up. Thailand doesn't want us here. They want tourists who they believe spend more than long term residents. I know that to be not true but it's what they believe.

Can you provide a link please or is it just another conspiracy theory.

Doesn't want us here, please explain.

they dont want deadbeats here, makes sense to me.

• Like 2