British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Yes, the concept of 'commonwealth' would have to be explained to IO, the  British queen is boss so there is the British link and they love royalty

The BE statement is that they do not provide the service of a statutory declaration.  Look at the BE Website in Washington DC.  One of the services they do provide is that of a Statutory Dec.  So- apparently it is still a service that a BE CAN provide if so inclined.  There may be other BE Embassies that also provide it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Yes, the concept of 'commonwealth' would have to be explained to IO, the  British queen is boss so there is the British link and they love royalty

Forget it, if it wasn't issued in Thailand they would never accept it!

3 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The BE statement is that they do not provide the service of a statutory declaration.  Look at the BE Website in Washington DC.  One of the services they do provide is that of a Statutory Dec.  So- apparently it is still a service that a BE CAN provide if so inclined.  There may be other BE Embassies that also provide it. 

good thinking batman, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, all close possibilities, have to search and then ask IO if this is acceptable.

19 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Perhaps if the application costs for extensions were altered so that the application for retirement extensions were say 50,000 baht then that in itself may be a deterrent for those attempting to cheat, whilst allowing the extension due to marriage to remain as is.  This which would not impact those married with children, whom together with their families actually contribute to the future good of Thailand rather than the profits of beer bars in many cases perhaps often frequented by single retirees judging by many posts on TV.

What a total crock of <deleted>  I was married to a Thai for 15.5 years until she died unexpectedly at the age of 50 3.5 years ago.  I have been using the retirement extension since 2009 mainly because, income wise, I qualify and it is a much easier process that requires only one visit... If you think that I didn't and don't contribute to the future good of Thailand you're welcome to come and talk to the members of the Farmers' Coop that I started and take pictures of the 3 John Deere Combines that I imported from the US.  I would like to go to a beer bar once in a while, but where I liver there aren't any and any drinking is usually done in the Gazebo in front of my house with no dancing girls.  <deleted>

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, wayned said:

What a total crock of <deleted>  I was married to a Thai for 15.5 years until she died unexpectedly at the age of 50 3.5 years ago.  I have been using the retirement extension since 2009 mainly because, income wise, I qualify and it is a much easier process that requires only one visit... If you think that I didn't and don't contribute to the future good of Thailand you're welcome to come and talk to the members of the Farmers' Coop that I started and take pictures of the 3 John Deere Combines that I imported from the US.  I would like to go to a beer bar once in a while, but where I liver there aren't any and any drinking is usually done in the Gazebo in front of my house with no dancing girls.  <deleted>

You've quoted the wrong person. Esso49 said that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

You've quoted the wrong person. Esso49 said that.

Sorry, I copied it from the quote that you referenced from Esso 49 and when it came up it said that you said it and I didn't catch it.  TV software gurus still have a little to work on. But my answer stands!

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:43 PM, Shoeless Joe said:

Thai immigration will never accept foreign documents as main proof of revenues (but they may ask to see them)

Surely, The British Embassy's letters are 'foreign documents'. They are produced in English, on British sovereign territory (yes, that's what an embassy is) and sign off by a British national.

27 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

ood thinking batman, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, all close possibilities, have to search and then ask IO if this is acceptable.

Check out the BE Website in Hanoi Vietnam- they do Stat Decs as well as other Affirmations and have templates.  They ask for proof of citizenship and address. It seems a possible solution if Thai imm would accept this.

Just now, Thaidream said:

Check out the BE Website in Hanoi Vietnam- they do Stat Decs as well as other Affirmations and have templates.  They ask for proof of citizenship and address. It seems a possible solution if Thai imm would accept this.

Aaaaaaah, the 'if' again, they might not even notice it's from Vietnam and 'if' it is a British stat dec and since they will know about the bloody mindedness of BE Bangkok it is possible that it would be accepted, only way is to ask IO first.

They stopped offering those services at the end of 2017 as part of a cost-cutting exercise

And now they've sold the embassy building -- and probably the ambassador's quarters that went along with it. Ok, not-so-great Britain, why not just recall the ambassador -- that would further save some money, particularly since he doens't seem to be gainfully employed for the benefit of your citizens. And, for the rental of his new quarters -- is that a short time hotel? -- a few more quid saved.

I'm really sorry, my British friends. You guys are fantastic. But your Foreign Service sure sucks. Good luck.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

This is a link to a page from the BE website in March 2017. At that time, they offered these services.

image.png.f8cc789b091b37876f41bf592f0b7f8a.png

They stopped offering those services at the end of 2017 as part of a cost-cutting exercise. They cut any services which could be offered elsewhere.  If you ask them for those services, they redirect you to this list of lawyers in Thailand.  So it looks like their position is that the lawyers on that list can provide all of the above services.

There are so many questions regarding this issue, it's hard to believe that they will not make another statement or give another interview before they stop issuing the letters.

not hard to believe at all

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimGant said:

And now they've sold the embassy building -- and probably the ambassador's quarters that went along with it. Ok, not-so-great Britain, why not just recall the ambassador -- that would further save some money, particularly since he doens't seem to be gainfully employed for the benefit of your citizens. And, for the rental of his new quarters -- is that a short time hotel? -- a few more quid saved.

I'm really sorry, my British friends. You guys are fantastic. But your Foreign Service sure sucks. Good luck.

Yep. And the embassy went for £420 million. I wonder how much they've saved by cutting the notarial services. 

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

not hard to believe at all

Actually, you're right.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Indeed,   'There is not one wave, but marks the grave of one of our English dead.'

and what do you get for it? as one wise old British colleague said to me when I was a young apprentice :-

When the country flourishes you have to work all the overtime God sends and get taxed to the hilt.

In bad times you are unemployed existing on a pittance

In war you are sent over the top to protect those making the weapons to maim and kill you.

"It's not ours to question why,  but to do or die"     Lord Tennyson

The response from a native New Yorker:   "Forget About It! "

Just now, Thaidream said:

"It's not ours to question why,  but to do or die"     Lord Tennyson

The response from a native New Yorker:   "Forget About It! "

you do the dying, I'll be the coward still alive behind the wall, I'm on my side.

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

It appears they are finally admitting that in future Brit. citizens will only have the 800k bht in Thai bank route ☹️.

I received a similar, although less detailed, response a few days ago.

"Thank you for your email.

Following a meeting with Thai Immigration where they confirmed they believed we were verifying the income of British Nationals living in Thailand, and expected us to do so, a decision was made to cease providing income/pension letters as we are unable to fulfil Immigration’s requirement, as we cannot verify income of British Nationals."

Ya, but they seem to have left out the MAY timeframe (5 months ago) part!!!!!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

I think the "outside Thailand" approach is likely grasping at straws.... But who knows....

• Like 2

I got my income letter yesterday from BE. I used bank account, P60 and pension statement originals scanned in electronically from UK so I could sent to BE online.

I am going to immigration tomorrow for O visa conversion from VE - are print out's acceptable or do they need to see the originals that need to be sent from UK?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spambot said:

I got my income letter yesterday from BE. I used bank account, P60 and pension statement originals scanned in electronically from UK so I could sent to BE online.

I am going to immigration tomorrow for O visa conversion from VE - are print out's acceptable or do they need to see the originals that need to be sent from UK?

And as this thread is about the BE stopping certification of income,  what are you plans for next year when you will not be able to get it from the BE ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, spambot said:

Most immigration offices will not ask to see any backup proof for the income letter. If asked for they would accept the printouts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DRG said:

Under English law, Solicitors are also Commissioners for Oaths. I wonder if the same is true of Thai Lawyers in Thailand. I recently used a local lawyer to do my Proof of Life certificate for my UK state pension. I presented my passport and my completed proof of life form. She added her identification as a lawyer, countersigned my signature and added her Company Seal. It seemed like a Stat Dec to me. She speaks and writes excellent English.

If no one has tried before, perhaps we should ask a few lawyers to approach Immigration and see if they could take over from the BE. I imagine that the extra customers and income would be welcome. 

I did put forward the suggestion that a Thai Notary Public could issue/sign a letter confirming income etc, but it was lost in the maelstrom of replies aimed at the BE.

IMO it is an option, but then again...………...

• Like 1