British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

21 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

It’s “written in stone “ in the form of a notice ! NOT Issuing proof of pension income !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sandstone perhaps, I can imagine, 'After discussions with the TI it has been decided not to cancel the income letters as previously announced.

3 hours ago, richiejom said:

On a side note does anyone know if the Savannakhet option is still unchanged in Laos... could be a handy backup option for married Brits as you get a 1 year multi-entry based on marriage there without proof of income.  Do any visa agents do this visa run?

No changes to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Savannakhet.

There are no visa run companies making the trip to there. You have to it on your own. Many topics about it on this forum.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Just got this, interesting she says TI don't refer to the letter on their website:

Dear Mr ......

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to learn that you are unhappy with the announcement that we intend to withdraw the pension letter service in Thailand from 1 January 2019.  I appreciate the difficulties that can accompany such a change in services.

The British Embassy in Bangkok currently issues a pension letter as a supporting document for British nationals applying for a Thai retirement or marriage visa application or extension of stay.  The Thai authorities have confirmed that they want the British Embassy to verify the income of British nationals which we are unable to do. We would refer such requests to the issuing authority. Therefore, the current letter does not fulfil the Thai authorities’ requirements so we need to stop issuing it so it is not misinterpreted as verification.

When withdrawing a service we do look at what other options are available to the customer to assist them in meeting the requirements of the receiving authority.  There is an alternative for customers to demonstrate that they meet the financial requirement for their retirement or marriage visa by holding a Thai bank account showing the minimum funds needed.  

Thai Immigrations own website states the minimum funds required for each visa type and makes no mention of a letter from an embassy being used as proof of income.

To assist customers, our Embassy in Bangkok has published details on their website of the change in service, what option is available to customers and what those requirements are.  Further details can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-embassy-bangkok-to-stop-certification-of-income-letters

Kind Regards

Stacey

Deputising Vice Consul

British Embassy Bangkok

They want the BRITISH EMBASSY to verify...... not the embassies per se. What have they done to p1ss of TI?

No mention that the TI will change the system of verification just the unrealistic insistence on the rules and regulations, ignoring the directive for the embassy letter, nor do they say they are in discussions with TI regarding the regulations, one beer or two it's up to you, thanks BE, what a useless pile of ship.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

There must however be a directive concerning the embassy letter for it to be so uniformly used.

Somewhere in Thai buried in an office in the 9th pile on the left of the room because they don't have enough filling cabinets!, al la the work visa extension room in the old Suan Plu office on the second floor.  But, to my amazement, they always could find my file!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

There must however be a directive concerning the embassy letter for it to be so uniformly used.

Probably one from a couple of decades ago (or more) when they started doing extensions that required proof of income.

1 minute ago, wayned said:

Since all or most Embassies issue an income letter in some form or another, if they are proer;y organized they should be able to go to the archived file for "income letters" and all of the communication and directives that caused them to generate the letter should be available.  I guess that that would be asking too much as it didn't happen on the current vice consuls watch!

I was just about to write the same thing

1 hour ago, richiejom said:

Just got this, interesting she says TI don't refer to the letter on their website:

Dear Mr ......

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to learn that you are unhappy with the announcement that we intend to withdraw the pension letter service in Thailand from 1 January 2019.  I appreciate the difficulties that can accompany such a change in services.

The British Embassy in Bangkok currently issues a pension letter as a supporting document for British nationals applying for a Thai retirement or marriage visa application or extension of stay.  The Thai authorities have confirmed that they want the British Embassy to verify the income of British nationals which we are unable to do. We would refer such requests to the issuing authority. Therefore, the current letter does not fulfil the Thai authorities’ requirements so we need to stop issuing it so it is not misinterpreted as verification.

When withdrawing a service we do look at what other options are available to the customer to assist them in meeting the requirements of the receiving authority.  There is an alternative for customers to demonstrate that they meet the financial requirement for their retirement or marriage visa by holding a Thai bank account showing the minimum funds needed.  

Thai Immigrations own website states the minimum funds required for each visa type and makes no mention of a letter from an embassy being used as proof of income.

To assist customers, our Embassy in Bangkok has published details on their website of the change in service, what option is available to customers and what those requirements are.  Further details can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-embassy-bangkok-to-stop-certification-of-income-letters

Kind Regards

Stacey

Deputising Vice Consul

British Embassy Bangkok

I read the information on their website and they say either 800,000 or 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account OR 65,000 or 40,000 baht depending on what extension you are aiming for.

They also quote this link but it applies to a retirement extension only.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22 translated to English

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22 original in Thai

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am not depressed about it but TBH the UK embassy has always been crap even going back to the 1990s when I first came here. They always seemed to look down on their own country people and slowly got rid of the real purpose in life, which of course is helping ALL the UK people and not just the rich and self important.

Ha!!! I have yet to find ANY British government agency ANYWHERE that is remotely concerned for its citizens, the brexiteers want their country back, they should be careful what they wish for, it is the EU that has so far held the government in check from giving us Victorian Britain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daveyh said:

Yup ..... you got that right mate! The embassy here do not give a toss about us retired folk living here, although we both have worked & paid tax to the UK government all our working life ........ 

Sorry, but your tax pounds went into buying man-hole covers in Halifax and Ipswich, a sewerage farm near Bodmin and paying the wages of Traffic Wardens in Solihull. Unfortunately, you didn't earn enough to contribute to any wages of any member of the Diplomatic service.

4 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

The 3 and 7 are similar, as are the 4 and the 5, but how do you confuse the 2 with a 6 ??

still looks like a 6 to me but I didn't zoom in. Whatever, seems like BJ's crackdown is over with overstayers and he's probably lost interest in verification as well, their span of interest doesn't last long, so the other embassies who have kept their cool and said nothing were right. Next crackdown and center of interest will be ladyboys or something else where he can shine, A PM in 5 years no doubt.

22 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

still looks like a 6 to me but I didn't zoom in. Whatever, seems like BJ's crackdown is over with overstayers and he's probably lost interest in verification as well, their span of interest doesn't last long, so the other embassies who have kept their cool and said nothing were right. Next crackdown and center of interest will be ladyboys or something else where he can shine, A PM in 5 years no doubt.

The verification meetings with the BE happened months before BJ was appointed to Immigration.  But don't let me spoil a good story, you'll forget about it soon anyway as I don't imagine your span of interest is very long. 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The verification meetings with the BE happened months before BJ was appointed to Immigration.  But don't let me spoil a good story, you'll forget about it soon anyway as I don't imagine your span of interest is very long. 

yes but nothing happened until now, on his watch BE felt the need to act after having done nothing since May.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

yes but nothing happened until now, on his watch BE felt the need to act after having done nothing since May.

I would imagine they were going at full speed ahead since May knowing how quick governments work.  How quick do you think they can get things done?  If the decision was made in May it would take till September to get the memo typed.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Now reactions on the Flemish Belgian and Holland fora :

One can resume in :

" Sad for a lot of British & Americans, luckily we are not concerned "

same for the Germans but let's not rejoice too soon, things can change quickly, I can understand IO liking the simplicity of the letter but in the end they may opt for one system, everybody has to use the Thai bank method, so wait until December 2019 before party time and see if they still accept the letters. 

• Like 1

^

Sure one never know what can happen. 

There are a lot of French people living in Pattaya/Jomtien. 

They have a club ( Ensemble) which sent weekly news to all their members. 

Not a word about the British/American situation. 

Pretty sure they have no idea what's going on.