British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

On 11/1/2018 at 2:55 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

I just emailed Stacey Filer at the BE and got a very prompt response to my query regarding these letters.

Her CYA reply was according to "Thai Law" the letters will be accepted for up to 6 months after they stop accepting applications for the letter on December 12th.

OeJ

In view of the thread re. Phuket Immigration, it would probably be a good idea for the woman from the BE who spoke to Pattaya News (?) to come to Phuket and talk to their Immigration staff to explain 'the rules' ????????.

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2018 at 6:49 PM, ubonjoe said:

I don't see it in the post you linked to. Here is the download of Immigration directive for income letters.pdf

No link there either (?), but if the OP on the 'Phuket' thread is right - the embassy letter doesn't even work NOW (on Phuket), unless the supporting documents are from ONLY  govt. pension/s!

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

No link there either (?), but if the OP on the 'Phuket' thread is right - the embassy letter doesn't even work NOW (on Phuket), unless the supporting documents are from ONLY  govt. pension/s!

It's not that they rejected the Embassy letter- the applicant could not provide a guaranteed income flow.  Then it was determined that Phuket would accept  a Government Pension but unsure about military pensions. Of course-that makes no sense because all military are paid by a government- so a military pension is a government pension. And what about  a retiree who worked for a Corporation for 40 years and  has a guaranteed annuity for life.  Phuket's interpretation is not even logical and it is easily pointed out. 

Who does the head of Phuket Immigration think pay's his pension when he gets it. Since he is a government employee- I would have to bet it was the Thai Government.

1 hour ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I only keep between 300 & 400K in my Thai bank so I wouldn't even qualify for a marriage visa should that scenario arise.

I doubt anything like that will happen- but they may ask for proof of where you income comes from. In fact- even if one has  the Bank letter with a 800K deposit they could ask for proof of Income .

If the worst case scenario happened- you could obtain a 60 day extension married to a Thai and then bring in some added monies or a trip to Savanakhet and get a 1 year Multi Entry 'O' Visa without any financials. Stay positive!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneeyedJohn said:

It shouldn't bother me but I just can't help thinking when I go to immigration probably in late December with proof of income letter in hand , that they will blurt out that an extension of stay based on retirement is only available if one can show 800K in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to the application.

I only keep between 300 & 400K in my Thai bank so I wouldn't even qualify for a marriage visa should that scenario arise.

Yep.............. you are screwed.

Than again, a whole host of other things (including the sky falling in) could happen by then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

It's not that they rejected the Embassy letter- the applicant could not provide a guaranteed income flow.  Then it was determined that Phuket would accept  a Government Pension but unsure about military pensions. Of course-that makes no sense because all military are paid by a government- so a military pension is a government pension. And what about  a retiree who worked for a Corporation for 40 years and  has a guaranteed annuity for life.  Phuket's interpretation is not even logical and it is easily pointed out. 

Who does the head of Phuket Immigration think pay's his pension when he gets it. Since he is a government employee- I would have to bet it was the Thai Government.

"Who does the head of Phuket Immigration think pay's his pension when he gets it"

More likely the Thai mafia will be paying his pension !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Yep.............. you are screwed.

Than again, a whole host of other things (including the sky falling in) could happen by then.

Something will hopefully change or alter, or there will be a lot of people going back to their own countries.

9 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

Something will hopefully change or alter, or there will be a lot of people going back to their own countries.

I think that it is at the point of we will have to just wait and see what happens.   So far as I know the USE and BE are the only ones that have said that they are discontinuing the letter.  If they are the only two Embassies that are doing this and Thai immigration doesn't get involved, I think that we are in a World of crap.  Unless the other Embassies follow suit and some kind of team is formed between the Embassies and Immigration to come up with a worlable solution nothing will happen.  The USE said in their FACT sheet:

The U.S. Embassy and Consulate General will work closely with Thai immigration officials
during the transition period to minimize any confusion.

That didn't say that they will be working with Immigration to come up with a solution

Basically the USE's FACT SHEET is an indication that they really don't give a crap since it doesn't affect their 3 year terms in Bangkok and tells all of the US expats her to:

FORNICATE OFF EXPATS

Only the first word has 4 letters.  i thought about writing to the ambassador but the spot is vacant.  One of Trumpty Dumpty's over 40 positions that have not been filled,, most likely due to the lack of personnel available from fox news like his new appointment for US Ambassador to the UN>

• Like 1

Liars figure and figures lie.  Cruel statistics about social security and retirement in USA:

Are Britain and Australia in better shape? 

At present, the average retiree gets $1,422 a month in Social Security benefits. But because recipients will be getting a 2.8% cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) next year, that figure will rise to $1,461 a month. This means that the average senior will get $17,532 in benefits for the year. And while that's certainly better than nothing, it's hardly enough to live on.

In fact, if you were to set aside a modest $300 a month over a 30-year period, and invest that money at an average annual 7% return (which is actually a few percentage points below the stock market's average), you'd wind up with $340,000 to your name. If you were to then plan on withdrawing about 4% of your nest egg each year in retirement, which many financial advisors recommend doing, you'd boost your annual income by $13,600 per year. And that, combined with your Social Security benefits, could do the trick in helping you maintain a reasonably desirable standard of living.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018/10/16/heres-the-average-social-security-benefit-for-2019.aspx

$17,352 + $13,600 = $30,952 before taxes and you would be taxed on 85% of SS and pay about $120 for medicare a month

Edited by esqy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, esqy said:

Liars figure and figures lie.  Cruel statistics about social security and retirement in USA:

Are Britain and Australia in better shape? 

At present, the average retiree gets $1,422 a month in Social Security benefits. But because recipients will be getting a 2.8% cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) next year, that figure will rise to $1,461 a month. This means that the average senior will get $17,532 in benefits for the year. And while that's certainly better than nothing, it's hardly enough to live on.

In fact, if you were to set aside a modest $300 a month over a 30-year period, and invest that money at an average annual 7% return (which is actually a few percentage points below the stock market's average), you'd wind up with $340,000 to your name. If you were to then plan on withdrawing about 4% of your nest egg each year in retirement, which many financial advisors recommend doing, you'd boost your annual income by $13,600 per year. And that, combined with your Social Security benefits, could do the trick in helping you maintain a reasonably desirable standard of living.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018/10/16/heres-the-average-social-security-benefit-for-2019.aspx

$17,352 + $13,600 = $30,952 before taxes and you would be taxed on 85% of SS and pay about $120 for medicare a month

British basic State Pension is 155GBP/wk (671 or 28,500bt pcm).

Aussie basic SP is a little more, c. 40k bt I understand.

Whilst I applaud your example of saving $300 for the past 30 years to help supplement the BSP, you need to recognize that 30 years ago, most people were probably earning not much more than that in total.... and in 30 years time $300 will probably be worth diddly squat.  

But I agree, that anyone with half a brain, should be looking to make some savings provision for their retirement, and even more so as future state (and many company)pensions are looking in dire straits.   

Prachinburi update I called to do my 90day report and mentioned about the UK government stopping issuing pension, they say they were not aware it and I need to speak to the UK embassy. They gave me the requirements for the visa renewal, so waste of time really.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

My marriage extension is due in April, so I will be looking to get my BE income letter soon, the worry I have is that my passport expires in November 2019 so will be looking to renew the passport before I go to immigration in April. Will there be any problems with the passport number not tallying with the passport number on the income letter?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

My marriage extension is due in April, so I will be looking to get my BE income letter soon, the worry I have is that my passport expires in November 2019 so will be looking to renew the passport before I go to immigration in April. Will there be any problems with the passport number not tallying with the passport number on the income letter?

I don't know the answer but if it was me I would renew the passport now and get the letter before 12 Dec. Remember you do not get the 9 months added on anymore.

Edited by pontious
add
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

Could well be!

I'd apply for a new passport now, even at the cost of losing almost a years validity.

Takes 3 weeks, so time to do it before Dec 12th.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Could well be!

I'd apply for a new passport now, even at the cost of losing almost a years validity.

KeyVisa have quoted two weeks for a passport renewal, so should have enough time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Could well be!

Is the 12th of Dec the last day of issue of the income letter, the last day of them receiving the letter or both? Thanks

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Is the 12th of Dec the last day of issue of the income letter, the last day of them receiving the letter or both? Thanks

According to the notice on page 1 of this topic, they will accept applications up to 12 December and will not issue any letters from 1 January.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vogie said:

I went last month to Phuket immigration for my retirement extension.  I had a letter from BE re income declaration.  The letter stated that I was a 'He' not a 'she'.  Also my address had changed but it did not seem to be a problem.

• Like 1

If u get some jumped up little squirt in immigration who thinks he knows the rules, then ur in for a hard time. Like the one I got a couple of years back who took a dislike to the size of my photos, a few millimetres off, made me go and get some more so that I could come back later and join a queue some 20 or so people long, again !

5 hours ago, colinchaffers said:

By the way Prachinburi will only accept embassy letter for up to 3 months, but would prefer less.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So, if they are still not prepared to accept an Embassy letter which is 6 months old in accordance with an IB directive issued in 2013, it doesn't augur well that they would be prepared to accept proof of 65k minimum monthly transfers into a Thai bank account any time soon, despite any further IB directive sanctioning these which might emerge!

Actually it's the Immigration Officers in the offices that do your extensions that know what is required, not the twits and twerps at the Embassies who tell you, waving the income affidavit in your face,  that you don't need the letter and only have to show proof of monthly payments, either 40000 baht/month for marriage or 65000 baht/month for retirement.  That ids because they have had meetings with middle level twits and twerps from immigration that really don't know what is required by the Immigration Department.  They are the ones that don't know their a** from a hole in the ground>
Imo..the sooner that the top thai immigration kiddies clarify exactly what's required re the different financial methods of obtaining marriage/retirement extensions the better.
I also hope that EXPLICIT instructions re the above eill be sent to every Imm Office in the country.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Imo..the sooner that the top thai immigration kiddies clarify exactly what's required re the different financial methods of obtaining marriage/retirement extensions the better.
I also hope that EXPLICIT instructions re the above eill be sent to every Imm Office in the country.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Be careful, I don't think that they have legalized cannabis in Thailand yet!

• Like 1