British Embassy statement on income letters: Officials knew about problems in May and say that US nationals will also be affected

webfact

5 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

The answer to this is simple, too simple actually. 

Thai Immigration needs to adhere to their own published rules on the topic:

either 800k baht in a Thai bank account seasoned for 3 months

-or-

proof of 65K baht per month being deposited in a Thai bank account

-or-

a combination of deposits on account + income deposited to a Thai bank account

No where in the text does it state anything about having an income affidavit from your home country's consulate. It states that if you can proof 65k baht per month being deposited into a Thai bank account, you qualify. Now we just have to convince Thai immigration to follow their own published rules. Good luck with that. 

Follow their own published rules. :giggle:

computer says no.jpg

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, poohy said:

Thanks oh Great British embassy for throwing us under the bus!

the fact you have known since May does in no way help you!

complete and utter wasters 

Now if the British Embassy are not "Verification Experts"   which I never thought they were anyway.  Why have they taken 52 pounds from me each of the last 6 years, and issued me with a document which claims to be official verification of my income?.  They then allow me to produce this unverified document to the Thai Immigration Police as genuine.   Guess who would come out worse in that scenario.

Plus I have just recieved my latest scrap of paper from the embassy and will have to produce it again next week.   Deep Joy!

What have the British Embassy ever done for us!!!!!

14 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You can barely open a bank account now without a work permit. 

Took my mate to the Bangkok Bank in the Emporium, explained that he needs a bank account for his retirement visa to pay the 800k into (he's minted so no issues) and was told no, need to have work permit. I argued that he was retired and is not working LOL. Was told cannot open bank account without work permit. 

He did it in Pattaya instead. 

I am on my 7th bank in Kanchanaburi,  All say exactly the same thing. That I need a work Visa.  I went to the Crime Supression Unit and they said that a bank cannot refuse me an account.   I went back to several banks.  It made no difference.   I am currently on a Marriage visa.  

21 minutes ago, Varrius said:

I am on my 7th bank in Kanchanaburi,  All say exactly the same thing. That I need a work Visa.  I went to the Crime Supression Unit and they said that a bank cannot refuse me an account.   I went back to several banks.  It made no difference.   I am currently on a Marriage visa.  

Think it has always been disgressional to the manager of the individual branch.

No law about it, that I know of, I could be wrong. ? 

Banks refusing money, is a bit strange. TIT.

Edited by stanleycoin

15 minutes ago, Varrius said:

Now if the British Embassy are not "Verification Experts"   which I never thought they were anyway.  Why have they taken 52 pounds from me each of the last 6 years, and issued me with a document which claims to be official verification of my income?.  They then allow me to produce this unverified document to the Thai Immigration Police as genuine.   Guess who would come out worse in that scenario.

Plus I have just recieved my latest scrap of paper from the embassy and will have to produce it again next week.   Deep Joy!

What have the British Embassy ever done for us!!!!!

Financial procedures are tightening now such that what may have been acceptable in the past are no longer. These are the knock-on effects of the financial crisis 10+ years ago.

56 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

it maybe more expensive transferring but its a lot safer than sitting in a thai bank... had a friend who had his 800k disappear... thats a fact!! 

Bet his wife or girl friend nicked it. :shock1::giggle:

Edited by stanleycoin

6 hours ago, Issanjohn said:

You don’t have to lock up 800,000 Baht here you could just go by the minimum monthly income requirement which is only 65,000 Baht for retirement visas and only 40,000 Baht a month for marriage visas I know I always use my monthly income verification.  

Exactly how many months worth of monthly Thai bank deposits of 65, 000 are needed?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

-or-

-or-

No where in the text does it state anything about having an income affidavit from your home country's consulate. It states that if you can proof 65k baht per month being deposited into a Thai bank account, you qualify. Now we just have to convince Thai immigration to follow their own published rules. Good luck with that. 

Looking at the Thailand embassy website regards financial qualifications for retirement extension, it says either 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank account for 3 months or proof of monthly income of at least 65,000 Baht . Doesn't say 65,000 has to be or deposited in Thai bank account.

Yesterday, I received my Embassy letter, stating that I had shown them pension statements and P60s up to and over the required amount, which I shall take to Khon Kaen Immigration today. The British Embassy did not include any note saying that the service is ceasing! How discourteous is that! If, as the Embassy says, Immigration will accept Thai bank statements showing that I deposit more than 65000 baht each month, why have I been paying them 52GBP for the past 5 years for a useless piece of paper???

Sent from my X98 Plus II (C2D6) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, logres212 said:

Looking at the Thailand embassy website regards financial qualifications for retirement extension, it says either 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank account for 3 months or proof of monthly income of at least 65,000 Baht . Doesn't say 65,000 has to be or deposited in Thai bank account.

You are correct. The income methods are about showing evidence of the income via embassy income letter. There is no rule requiring depositing all or some of the claimed income INTO THAILAND. It's something many people have been confused about for years. If they required the full import, believe me, we would KNOW IT! That would be a big deal. THEY DON'T. 

Sometimes officers will demand direct evidence to support the claims in the income letters. The evidence is about the income, not a requiring of full annual import of the claimed funds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaamGin said:

-or-

-or-

It says no such thing! There is no such Thai immigration rule about the claimed income needing to be deposited in a Thai bank.

People should stop MAKING STUFF UP. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

It says no such thing! There is no such Thai immigration rule about the claimed income needing to be deposited in a Thai bank.

How does statements of income into a bank account in another country convince a Thai immigration officer that you have sufficient income to live in Thailand? The purpose of the regulation is to assure Thai immigration that you have sufficient income, coming into Thailand, to meet the minimum requirements to be approved for a visa...

You want to split hairs, I am not playing your game... 

5 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

How does statements of income into a bank account in another country convince a Thai immigration officer that you have sufficient income to live in Thailand? The purpose of the regulation is to assure Thai immigration that you have sufficient income, coming into Thailand, to meet the minimum requirements to be approved for a visa...

You want to split hairs, I am not playing your game... 

I don't care what game you are playing.

This is not a nitpick at all. You're pushing FALSE INFORMATION of a very major kind.

It would be a BIG DEAL if Thai immigration required full import of claimed income into Thailand.

THEY DO NOT!

That is a fact.

I have looked at retirement visa regulations of many countries and they all have different features.

Some of them in fact DO require full import of claimed income.

Most do not.

THAILAND DOES NOT and that is a FACT.

IF Thailand decided to change their policy and become one of the nations that did require full import of claimed income, it would be a massive big deal.

Massively more significant than one embassy stopping issuing income letters.

BEFORE if and when that major change might happen, let us please stop broadcasting FALSE INFORMATION of changes that have NOT HAPPENED. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, webfact said:

For a marriage visa, the amounts are at least 400,000 THB in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, 

For Marriage Visa it is 2 Months not three. At least in Hua Hin it is. Or is that just for renewal?

16 hours ago, poohy said:

Thanks oh Great British embassy for throwing us under the bus!

the fact you have known since May does in no way help you!

complete and utter wasters 

I don't understand what all the animosity is for.  For years now, many people have been using the British and US (and other) embassies to get a letter proving an income that actually doesn't exist.  So basically these embassies have been abused by so many people who want to get a retirement visa extension without actually qualifying for it.

The fact that so many people have been doing this and therefore abusing this system, has ultimately spoilt it for those honest retirees who do actually have the income.

If you want to blame someone, then blame all the abusers of the system.  Don't blame the system.

Furthermore, if you do qualify for a retirement visa, there are other ways to do it.  Like for example having money in the bank, or if you have a pension - get bank statements and proof of income.  Stop breaking the law.

Besides, I think the British (and other) embassies may have been pressured to do this by the Thai authorities anyway.

For those of us who have kids in Thailand and go back to US yearly, it seems a straight Non-O multiple entry is the way to go, every 3 mos, do a border crossing. I'm not retired yet but will be so next year and all this is quite confusing.

One thing doesn't make sense...……….. If the 800,000 is required to be deposited into Thai bank, then why isn't the monthly deposit also required to be deposited into Thai Bank. I hear what is being said, but still don't understand the logic.

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't care what game you are playing.

This is not a nitpick at all. You're pushing FALSE INFORMATION of a very major kind.

It would be a BIG DEAL if Thai immigration required full import of claimed income into Thailand.

THEY DO NOT!

That is a fact.

I have looked at retirement visa regulations of many countries and they all have different features.

Some of them in fact DO require full import of claimed income.

Most do not.

THAILAND DOES NOT and that is a FACT.

IF Thailand decided to change their policy and become one of the nations that did require full import of claimed income, it would be a massive big deal.

Massively more significant than one embassy stopping issuing income letters.

BEFORE if and when that major change might happen, let us please stop broadcasting FALSE INFORMATION of changes that have NOT HAPPENED. 

The requirement is 800k in a Thai bank account, seasoned for 3 months -or- 65k baht per month of income -or- a combination of the two... The regulation is to assure that you have sufficient income COMING INTO THAILAND either by bank balance or monthly income. If you divide 800,000 by 12 you get 66,667 baht per month, which is the intent of the regulation, proof of sufficient income coming INTO THAILAND to support your lifestyle. If you assert that this is not the intent of the regulation, you are gaming the system.

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Especially the British Embassy with their BS pronouncements, I think!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NaamGin said:

The requirement is 800k in a Thai bank account, seasoned for 3 months -or- 65k baht per month of income -or- a combination of the two... The regulation is to assure that you have sufficient income COMING INTO THAILAND either by bank balance or monthly income. If you divide 800,000 by 12 you get 66,667 baht per month, which is the intent of the regulation, proof of sufficient income coming INTO THAILAND to support your lifestyle. If you assert that this is not the intent of the regulation, you are gaming the system.

You're philosophizing about the logical intentions of the Thai government.

I'm talking about FACTS.

Like I said when looking at different nation's retirement programs (most don't have any) a major thing to look at is whether the required income on income based applications (most only have that and have no bank account option) require full import of the claimed income OR NOT.

Thailand does not. That is a fact. 100 percent FACT.

You can play mind games about what they really mean but I am telling you the FACTS which you can believe or not, but that doesn't change their policy. 

Only Thai immigration can change their policy.

• Like 1

If the photo of the British flag shown in the poster was supplied by the British Embassy, it just goes to show how useless they are. The flag shown is a typical knock off of the British flag with the red cross printed in the wrong position.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kannot said:

https://www.thai-elite.com/  20 years

1  million  would  keep most of the ole dodderers  here until they expire I do the 400k in a  bank  account married to Thai maybe more weddings in order and then a  clampdown on those next.

I dont like anyone snooping  into where my  money comes from and if they start that too  much Ill switch to the THai Visa  Elite 20 year as at 1000000 its a   damn good  deal.

Folks  living here and who cant find a  million really should do some more  planning, its  just not that much anymore, bet the original Elites are having a laugh anyway.

Program gets  cancelled you get a partial refund.

Lesser  years available  5yrs 500k, no so much a bargain but if  you have a Wife or  just want to stay it aint so bad.

Its 2ml not 1ml for 20yrs. Not such a good deal... most of the other benefits are fluff. Imo. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, SkyNets said:

So just get a print out from your Thai bank showing your pension payments. Whats the problem, unless you have been lying.....

How do you persuade a Thai bank to separate income data from the  rest of the account?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Only Thai immigration can change their policy.

Indeed. It is IMHO the height of arrogance on the part of the British Embassy to think that they can lord it over the Immigration Bureau. But, there again, such displays of arrogance on the part of my "beloved" government back in Blighty are nothing new. For example they insist on dual nationals changing the names in their Thai passports to match those in their British passports, never vice versa!

• Like 1