The week that was in Thailand news: Jeez! Must pack and take a plane and get me to Blighty once again!

rooster59

10 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Well said, overherebc. Distinctly "I'm all right Jack - look at me; how clever I am at obtaining Permanent Residence".

I'm pleased for you rooster - pleased that at least one of us Brits is going to be OK when the new rules take effect.

But you don't have to be so <deleted> smug about it and we definitely don't need your patronising, sneering and insultingly, crass comments.

However. you jolly well 'pop off' to good old Blighty. Enjoy yourself and then everyone here can read on your return, your condescending and sneering comments about "The land of our birth"!

By the way. One of my pensions is from 26 years served in the Royal Navy. You appear not to have served your country 'of birth' but you may wish to know that it is only recently that the end of the Falklands War was commemorated. Whatever your thoughts regarding Thatcher - Great Britain lost dozens of patriotic and brave members of the Armed forces. 'Down South' during that conflict.

You sir. haven't earned the right to criticise us pensioners and Thailand certainly hasn't earned the right to tax my Armed Forces pension either!

While I understand your sensitivity regarding Roosters lack of military service (Malvina's really?) please remember that not everyone has had the privilege or opportunity of serving their country and if he has been here for nearly 40 years then maybe he has a right to "crow" a little? Don't worry, when he has to buy food label'd "halal", no matter where he goes in the UK, don't you think it might take some of the shine off his visit?

10 hours ago, Bundooman said:

12 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Well said, overherebc. Distinctly "I'm all right Jack - look at me; how clever I am at obtaining Permanent Residence".

I'm pleased for you rooster - pleased that at least one of us Brits is going to be OK when the new rules take effect.

But you don't have to be so <deleted> smug about it and we definitely don't need your patronising, sneering and insultingly, crass comments.

However. you jolly well 'pop off' to good old Blighty. Enjoy yourself and then everyone here can read on your return, your condescending and sneering comments about "The land of our birth"!

By the way. One of my pensions is from 26 years served in the Royal Navy. You appear not to have served your country 'of birth' but you may wish to know that it is only recently that the end of the Falklands War was commemorated. Whatever your thoughts regarding Thatcher - Great Britain lost dozens of patriotic and brave members of the Armed forces. 'Down South' during that conflict.

You sir. haven't earned the right to criticise us pensioners and Thailand certainly hasn't earned the right to tax my Armed Forces pension either!

I wholeheartedly concur.

I used to enjoy most of these posts, but there is just so much in this one really bothers and angers me that I have to respond.

The lack of understanding of, and empathy for, the plight of thousands of expatriates who rely on their embassy to support them strikes me as a “I’m alright Jack” attitude. I have a pension from the time I served as a soldier and, combined with the state pension and other tiny employment pensions, can just about scrape through. I have very little hope of getting ฿800,000. So no thanks to your patronising and condescending attitude.

The Embassy spokesperson on the radio said she processes up to 260 applications per month, so that’s over 3000 people whose continued stay could be in question.

Everyone who lives here contributes to the economy, both locally and nationally. Due to the rules currently in place, they can expect nothing in return. Why should you, simply by being granted the favour of working here, expect to live by other rules?

As far as pensioners working in Thai schools into their 80s, you have clearly misunderstood the meaning of retirement.

This is nothing less that insulting and inflammatory to the very people to whom it's directed.

Umm, Rooster, you seem to have upset a few people this week.  I enjoy your weekly post, but I have to agree that this week, maybe you have erred in judgement.  However, I wish you a fantastic holiday in 'blighty', maybe you will get to understand why so many of us wish to live outside it, here and in many other countries, on this visit.  Good luck in the Scrabble tournament.

8 hours ago, TPI said:

While I understand your sensitivity regarding Roosters lack of military service (Malvina's really?) please remember that not everyone has had the privilege or opportunity of serving their country and if he has been here for nearly 40 years then maybe he has a right to "crow" a little? Don't worry, when he has to buy food label'd "halal", no matter where he goes in the UK, don't you think it might take some of the shine off his visit?

May I correct you please. Your perception of my 'sensitivity' stems from Roosters total lack of sensitivity on a number of points in his post.

1. His suggestion that UK pensioners should be taxed by Thailand on their pensions  - really?

2. His flippant remarks regarding the Falklands conflict by referring to them as 'The Malvinas'

3. While I concede that you are politely defending Rooster's apparent avoidance of military service - his unnecessary remarks highlight the fact that he arrived in Thailand just as the Falklands kicked off.

4. Rooster's offensive remarks inferring that the rest of us British pensioners somehow deserved to have this new irritation of discontinuation of the Income letter placed upon us.

Other than that - I agree with you.

I usually get about half way through your verbal diarrhea before I give up. This week I could only take the first few paragraphs of your bloviating before packing it in. Next column will get 0% of my time. You really are a smug bar steward.

8 hours ago, TPI said:

... Don't worry, when he has to buy food label'd "halal", no matter where he goes in the UK, don't you think it might take some of the shine off his visit?

It obviously does yours.

Having said that, never seen a halal fish and chips, plowman's lunch, bacon sandwich, pint of Caffrey's or nip of The Famous Grouse yet.

Of course, your experience may differ.

In your article you complain that despite paying millions in tax while working in Thailand you are not entitled to a pension in retirement.

You might be surprised to learn that Thailand is not the only country where this occurs.

During my working life in Australia I paid substantial amounts of both personal and company tax and collected for free on behalf of the government the GST ( VAT ).

In retirement, due to the fact that the bar on who can receive the aged pension has been lowered I receive zero pension whether I reside in Australia or elsewhere.

I have several friends in Sydney who are in a similar position and certainly could not be described as wealthy.

So Mr Rooster whilst you may feel agreived at not receiving a pension imagine how you would feel in this situation if you were a citizen of the country as am I and my friends.

" I'd tax the pensions in Thailand to pay for their stay and introduce some reciprocal arrangements for the expats bearing in mind Thais need to learn English and English culture to settle in the UK. Why shouldn't pensioners - or anyone else who wants to settle here for that matter - not be obliged to learn a bit more Thai than "gin khao" or "thawrai" and a tad more cultural awareness than taking your shoes off at a temple?

No problem about a compulsory learning Thai - I don't understand how people manage without it, but the suggestion that expat pensions might be taxed here is ridiculous. UK and Thailand have a double taxation agreement - tax here or tax there but not both. As our pensions are taxed at source in the UK there is no reason to consider it. Mind you, if they were only taxed here we might be better off!

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Having said that, never seen a halal fish and chips

Somebody explain a Halal cod. Do they kill it by slitting its throat after a prayer? I think most sea fish caught are either frozen to death, or just left to asphixiate. And as for a Halal potato..........the mind boggles. 

I had an old friend who left the UK when he was young, and he lived in Thailand

in his later years and died there 3 years ago. He had sold his England house

to a fine Arab family as the rest of the neighbourhood had already been bought up

by that part of the World. He said he got out before a Mosque was built quite nearby.

I do understand that not all of England or the UK has became like this, but I do

understand why my friend and his Scottish friends moved to Thailand for the long

term. So Rooster have a great visit to Jolly old England, and good luck on the

tournament.  Good Luck to all the UKers on Brexit as well.

Geezer

On 10/13/2018 at 7:52 PM, overherebc said:

Distinct lack of sympathy for some of the older members of TV who might have upcoming problems because of the poor exchange rate that may or may not get better after Brexit combined with th BE rules that may or not change.

Your anecdote on the embassy didn't quite negate your apparent 'laughing up your sleeve' at those who don't have PR.

I will read your weekly posts with a slightly different take from now on.

Frankly I don't see the point of his turgid column. The resentment expressed in other comments at his sneering complacent tone is justified. But above all he is so intensely dull.

As a Brit who now has Thai citizenship (now Thai British) I don't have any visa problems here. I have loads of British mates who are retired or who use the marriage extension to remain here. I feel desperately sorry for them bearing in mind the position of the British embassy. All have forged lives here & support wives & kids & some have businesses. Im not impressed with the actions of the British embassy or your lack of sympathy Mr Rooster.

And you can bet your bottom Dollar that his next column won't even refer to the humongous cock up he has made with his comments.

There are probably many more members of TVF who feel just as  angry and let down by his sneering crowing remarks about his PR status with absolutely no thought for his fellow man but due to apathy just cannot muster the energy to show their disgust.

I believe a full and frank apology is in order.

On 10/15/2018 at 10:49 AM, wgdanson said:

Somebody explain a Halal cod. Do they kill it by slitting its throat after a prayer? I think most sea fish caught are either frozen to death, or just left to asphixiate. And as for a Halal potato..........the mind boggles. 

Imagine what they they would have to do with a haggis?

Mr. Rooster is very British, despite his protestations of Thainess and hating dogs. Know a man by the things he hates. I would guess a foreigner doesn't think twice about it. For example, I hate nothing, eccept unnecessary cruelty and discourtesy. That probably makes me British. Athough, I could be very cruel if necessary, or discourteous. It all depends on the situation. Core values and all that.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:08 AM, NanLaew said:

It obviously does yours.

Having said that, never seen a halal fish and chips, plowman's lunch, bacon sandwich, pint of Caffrey's or nip of The Famous Grouse yet.

Of course, your experience may differ.

Can you still buy a bacon sandwich? 

41 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Can you still buy a bacon sandwich? 

Some chain hotels no longer put bacon or pork sausage on the breakfast menu. I kid you not. I expect the full monty, bacon egg sausage black pudding tomato and beans.

I asked where the bacon and sausage was and was told we don't serve it in case we insult some people. I told them they were insulting me by not serving it and they would no longer see me or as many people as could tell in the future.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Some chain hotels no longer put bacon or pork sausage on the breakfast menu. I kid you not. I expect the full monty, bacon egg sausage black pudding tomato and beans.

I asked where the bacon and sausage was and was told we don't serve it in case we insult some people. I told them they were insulting me by not serving it and they would no longer see me or as many people as could tell in the future.

Yep - - PC BS.

Australia is now getting as bad, the erosion of our existing way of life. 

20 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Yep - - PC BS.

Australia is now getting as bad, the erosion of our existing way of life. 

Last night of a UK holiday and flying from Aberdeen we arrived trying to find a hotel. 

The weather turned bad cancelling helicopters to the rigs and a big seminar was extended so the oil companies were block booking rooms.

We managed to find the last room in the holiday inn express. Next morning got the no bacon or pork sausage situation.

Archived