What are these buggers (Stamps from 711)

theghizmo

I leave my dog at the bar across the road with the girls when I buy somethimg and give the stickers to to them for looking after her. they get enough a day to buy something like a soft drink or a snack.

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Never heard of those and not young - do remember S&H Green Stamps "a line of trading stamps popular in the United States from the 1930s until the late 1980s."

Edit:  OK found them UK item for a few years ago.  "Green Shield Stamps was a British sales promotion scheme that rewarded shoppers with stamps that could be used to buy gifts from a catalogue or from any ...
Key people‎: ‎Richard Tompkins‎, Founding chai...    Headquarters‎: ‎United Kingdom
Founded‎: ‎1958"

green-shield-stamps2.jpg

20 hours ago, theghizmo said:

So, basically it's garbage. Thanks!

They are the same as Cash.  Usually, 1-2 baht each.  Just give them to the cashier when you buy anything and she will give you cash credit for them.

• Like 1

They are MONEY! They can be used for purchases at the register. The 1 is 1 baht...3 is 3 baht and so on. Use them for a bottle of water or a snack. Or as previously mentioned, they can be saved up to buy crap from the posters on the window. If not your thing, then give them to a Thai friend or a beggar. It will make them happy. :biggrin:

(GF says you got about ฿24 there now!)

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

green-shield-stamps2.jpg

My old mate in England worked for the Green Shield outfit. My Best Man speech at his wedding was how amazed I was at what you could get for Green Shield stamps. He and his wife although a few miles away are still good friends of mine. She forgave me, obviously????

• Haha 2

Although they are obviously worth something, they are a bloody nuisance, never enough to get anything, and they get damp and sticky in the wallet - messy. 

So when I get my receipt and change, I say "Mai Ow, khrap," and give them back to the cashier.

It's nothing short of amazing when a lazy, bored and disinterested cashier suddenly perks up and becomes friendly and attentive. As I am not a 'hansum man' they must be worth collecting........!

(Even the boys)

Edited by Grusa
Added observation
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 2:52 PM, ukrules said:

They used them in the UK, I remember them from the 70's.

Yes called green shield stamps, my dad had a business and they used to buy them in big books to give to customers, that's how the loyalty schemes we have now like Tesco club card started out.

On 10/13/2018 at 8:48 PM, lopburi3 said:

Never heard of those and not young - do remember S&H Green Stamps "a line of trading stamps popular in the United States from the 1930s until the late 1980s."

it's a Saturday morning and young tutsi notices that his mom has got the shoe box out fulla loose green stamps and some pasting books and it don't look good...and as he tries to sneak out the kitchen door 'HEY! ye little bugger, come over here and help me with these stamps...' 'aw mom we got little league practice and the coach gets mad if we turn up late...' 'siddown, shaddap and get on them stamps...'

and then tutsi's dad darkens the escape route with his 6'3" 200lb bulk and sez menacingly 'yew been upsettin' yer mother again ye little bugger???'

a gloriously dysfunctional Pasadena, California childhood in the late 50s...

little buggers indeed...

17 hours ago, HHTel said:

I remember Green Shield Stamps.  You could buy some quite expensive products given enough books.  You could even buy a car!  No kidding.  By the time they went down the pan, retailers were offering twenty fold stamps, especially at petrol stations.  Weekends were spent sticking them into books!

And as said, the 7/11 stamps can be used as cash.  The last campaign gave me 300+ baht to spend at the shop!

My first job for a company (I was on summer break) was for Blue Chip stamps. I think they were a precursor to Green Shield. I had to rush around in the warehouse to pick the stuff off shelves. The manager was an above average a--hole who periodically would call us into his office and show us a drawer full of applications to get us to sweat more. This while he sat at his desk and admired his manicured nails with clear nail polish. A talented motivator and a truly wonderful experience. Thanks for bringing up these memories. : (  5555

5 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

it's a Saturday morning and young tutsi notices that his mom has got the shoe box out fulla loose green stamps and some pasting books and it don't look good...and as he tries to sneak out the kitchen door 'HEY! ye little bugger, come over here and help me with these stamps...' 'aw mom we got little league practice and the coach gets mad if we turn up late...' 'siddown, shaddap and get on them stamps...'

and then tutsi's dad darkens the escape route with his 6'3" 200lb bulk and sez menacingly 'yew been upsettin' yer mother again ye little bugger???'

a gloriously dysfunctional Pasadena, California childhood in the late 50s...

little buggers indeed...

You really should find a publisher.  Your yarns are always worth an extra read.  Mine was a much more conservative NH location but still strikes a bell.

• Like 1

Wife saves those stamps, we have actually got a couple of good things with them, a half decent motorbike helmet, a picnic table and esky. Probably spending 20,000 baht to get a 1,000 baht helmet but wife loves the idea of something for nothing.

On 10/13/2018 at 8:03 PM, ukrules said:

You can save them up and buy cheap crap from their catalogue with them.

Just file them away in the garbage.

File them away in the garbage??????

You can use them as cash, so you'd almost literally be throwing money away by tossing them.

Yes they can be traded for weird gifts, but that's not their only use.

1 hour ago, ChesneyHawkes said:

You can use them as cash, so you'd almost literally be throwing money away by tossing them.

You should see what I've done with some low value spare coins in the past. I've literally thrown them away before and that was in Europe.

Edited by ukrules

I give them to other customers or to the staff who stick them on a charity board. Maybe Im throwing a way 3 baht but now is the time in my life when I cant keep track of stamps. God knows how many coins I have in my free Malee Juice glass (buy three juices, get a free glass, like I really needed it)....even when I pull out 5bs for the MC dudes, 1bs for the water machine and 10bs for the laundry, its like an eternal fountain of change that keeps growing. I even have little satangy things....if Im overwhelmed with coins, how am I going to keep track of stamps in my sweaty pockets...

On 10/13/2018 at 8:48 PM, lopburi3 said:

Edit:  OK found them UK item for a few years ago.  "Green Shield Stamps was a British sales promotion scheme that rewarded shoppers with stamps that could be used to buy gifts from a catalogue or from any ...
Key people‎: ‎Richard Tompkins‎, Founding chai...    Headquarters‎: ‎United Kingdom
Founded‎: ‎1958"

I remember Green Stamps. Also a Legal Eagle friend making a comment about an old Law. Enticement of Sales by Deed of Gift. Thought at the time they make up a law for laws sake.

On 10/16/2018 at 4:51 PM, ukrules said:

You should see what I've done with some low value spare coins in the past. I've literally thrown them away before and that was in Europe.

Don't toss coins away in Thailand. The image on the coin should explain why, hence the reason I find Thais a lot more proactive picking up coins when they hear them drop to the ground than we are in the west.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChesneyHawkes said:

Don't toss coins away in Thailand. The image on the coin should explain why, hence the reason I find Thais a lot more proactive picking up coins when they hear them drop to the ground than we are in the west.

Right, see the highlighted part of my post :

image.png.67c1b901f81e480a1f68b94213123e67.png