What are these buggers (Stamps from 711)

theghizmo

I sometimes just give them as change at next purchase.

I can't remember having got one of the 3 Baht stamps (on the lower left in the pic).

In the shops there are usually boards where you can stick them as donation (to temples?).

5 minutes ago, theghizmo said:

So, basically it's garbage. Thanks!

No, as written I used them as change at 7/11.

There is just one mystery: they expire after some time until a next "campaign" starts.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you're old enough to remember 'green shield stamps', similar thing. 

Never heard of those and not young - do remember S&H Green Stamps "a line of trading stamps popular in the United States from the 1930s until the late 1980s."

Edit:  OK found them UK item for a few years ago.  "Green Shield Stamps was a British sales promotion scheme that rewarded shoppers with stamps that could be used to buy gifts from a catalogue or from any ...
Key people‎: ‎Richard Tompkins‎, Founding chai...    Headquarters‎: ‎United Kingdom
Founded‎: ‎1958"

Edited by lopburi3

1 minute ago, JaiMaai said:

they have the cash value printed on them

And that they print "3" as Thai numeral is to baffle foreigners :biggrin:

That I can not remember having seen these might be due to the little amounts that I shop at 7/11 (hardly more than 200 Baht).

1 minute ago, JaiMaai said:

As khunbenq has said, they have the cash value printed on them, so you can spend them....

Oh yeah, I think I've seen those as well.

They seem to change them every now and again, the woman I live with ordered some crap from the catalogue using these before. I think some can only be used to order the cheap rubbish they sell, others like cash for a limited time, something like that.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Never heard of those and not young - do remember S&H Green Stamps "a line of trading stamps popular in the United States from the 1930s until the late 1980s."

They used them in the UK, I remember them from the 70's.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

They used them in the UK, I remember them from the 70's.

Should have known - found with Google.  Seem to be a bit younger than the US version.  I started my foreign country life at age 18 so never got hooked on them.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Edit:  OK found them UK item for a few years ago.  "Green Shield Stamps was a British sales promotion scheme that rewarded shoppers with stamps that could be used to buy gifts from a catalogue or from any ...
Key people‎: ‎Richard Tompkins‎, Founding chai...    Headquarters‎: ‎United Kingdom
Founded‎: ‎1958"

I remember taking little printed ration coupons to the grocery store after WWII to get some staples, potatoes, milk, etc. Yes I am  old.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

on the 7/11 checkout desk are little books to stick the stamps in.

You get to exchange the full books for gifts, usually on the shelf behind the cashier, or cash.

If you're old enough to remember 'green shield stamps', similar thing. 

I'm old enough. I saved enough to acquire a petrol driven lawn mower. I did a lot of mileage.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

You can save them up and buy cheap crap from their catalogue with them.

Just file them away in the garbage.

You can use them as thai baht, just cash em in , no have to be saved or catalogued

Edited by Nice Boyd
  • Like 1

I remember Green Shield Stamps.  You could buy some quite expensive products given enough books.  You could even buy a car!  No kidding.  By the time they went down the pan, retailers were offering twenty fold stamps, especially at petrol stations.  Weekends were spent sticking them into books!

And as said, the 7/11 stamps can be used as cash.  The last campaign gave me 300+ baht to spend at the shop!

Edited by HHTel
  • Like 1

They are "promotional" stickers.

For some promotions, you collect the stamps and can use them as cash on future purchases.

For other promotions, you collect the stamps and can redeem them for certain items they promote now and then.

For example, a few years ago the g/f collected enough to get us a "Winnie the Pooh" garbage can with a foot lever-actuated lid.

Another time, I collected enough to get an insulated "Hello Kitty" cooler which was actually kind of handy. It was big enough to stick 3-4 kilos of seafood in it along with a couple bags of ice and a couple of sodas. Sturdier and longer lasting than the usual styrofoam coolers.

Great for when we make trips "up country" to visit the relatives.

Usually by the check outs they will have a small booklet that you put the stamps in (remove the paper backing and stick them in the booklet). That booklet will usually have pics of the different items available and how many stamps you need to redeem them.

Looking at the flyer for the latest promotion, I'd say you'd pretty much have to live in a 7-11 (and do all your drinking and bar-fining in it as well) in order to collect enough stamps to make it worthwhile.

For example, one of the cheaper redeemable items is a padded stool that has a lockable lid for only 709 baht worth of "M Stamps".

Take into consideration that I think they give you 1 stamp for every 100 baht spent, it will take awhile to get there. Like having to spend 70,900 baht (cigs and booze not included, probably some other items don't count as well). I think I have 22 stamps from the latest promotion so far but I don't go to 7-11 a lot.

Most people probably don't bother with the stamps at all and I'm sure on a few occasions the staff have simply kept the stamps (probably to give to a friend to redeem).

This is basically the same idea as what Big C and Foodland do on occasion, but those places generally have nicer redeemable items. (I'm really liking the Vivo frying pans I got from the last Big C promotion. Itching to try the casserole pot and the steamer soon too. Much better than the cheap crap cookware that normally stocks the shelves.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, theghizmo said:

One mans garbage is another mans treasure. L????  I leave them laying somewhere a cleaning lady might pick up. If they pickup bottles to make money they'll pickup those stamps, you'll make someone's day.

• Like 2

The gf says the items in the current promo are no good ..... but she still insists on collecting the stamps ! After last year’s campaign we got 8 sets of Tupperware type containers and 4 ice bucket/ cooler things, which are at least useful even if we did not need so many! 

18 hours ago, theghizmo said:

What are these?

7-Eleven loyalty stamps that you can collect in a small folder (ask for one), and with a certain amount of stamps, before the promotion ends, you can buy something with a discount, or change the stamp for something, your probably don't need.

Alternatively you can give the value of the stamps to charity. By the wall next to the entrance door – or somewhere in that area, otherwise ask – you find a poster for stamps. Place the stamps there. You might notice that some are crossed out, that mean they have already been converted to charity-money...????

414)crop_w20170930_151204_7-11-stamp.jpg.9875225058e4e3ef3c4fc0198ca21a0c.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, theghizmo said:

actually they're not. No need book or anything. They have a value printed on them (1 or 2 thb). You can pay with them when you buy anything next time. So if you buy something for 110thb and have stamps to the value of 10thb you pay 100+ the stamps

• Like 1