Legal tourists and expats will feel the benefit under "Big Joke" - he's the real deal

webfact

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's misleading. The letters are required for income method applications. 

Not by Law. Not by Police Order. Just by a simple Immigration internal rule... that could be changed tomorrow if required.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caine said:

Can’t even get all Thai immigration offices to sing from the same hymn sheet, and play by the rules. What does that take? a few phone calls now that is a big joke.

Agree like trying to do 90 days reports on line,that some IO refuse to do and getting a certificate of residence that they also refuse to do,

• Sad 1

This is from

Immigration Act B.E. 2522

Section 7 : The Immigration Commission shall have power and duty to :

6. Permit aliens to enter into and take up residence on the Kingdom under Section 43 Para 1 and to fix regulations for display of the aliens financial status under Section 43 Para 2.

The Immigration Commission has the power to set the regulations in regard to the aliens financial status which is the regulations regarding the 400,000/800,000baht bank account and also the 65,000/40,000baht income status which is why it is the same at all offices because it is regulations as laid down by the Immigration Act.

So it is written law as all regulations are in every country in the world has them and the Immigration Commission can change the regulations at any time they wish.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

So it is written law as all regulations are in every country in the world has them and the Immigration Commission can change the regulations at any time they wish.

What is written in the law is what is in the Police Order No 327/2557 at section 2.22.

That includes amounts (800/400, 65/40) and options (bank, incomes, combo).

That does not include the rule that the proof must be an Embassy Letter...

BTW, changing this Police Order is a complicated and looong process. Last change was in 2013.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Time will tell, though to expect one man to single handedly clean up Thailand is asking a bit much.

I will take him seriously when he starts getting people like the Red Bull "Boss" back to face justice.

+1...Definitely agree.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

Some on topic examples would be good...

Just before yingluck left office the thaivisa news was that ex-pats would be able to send in their visa renewals at 7-11 and do their 90 day report from a phone app.  That must have been about 30 days before she left suddenly.  I thought both were excellent ideas.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

At 2.22 it says 'evidence of having income' and Immigration then has the right and purview to determine what they will accept as necessary-and-sufficient to so determine.

15 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Yes, I see benefits of random visa/passport raids on hotels, bars and condos frequented by expats and tourists conducted with absolutely no probable or even reasonable cause.  Who writes this propagandist crap for Thai Rath?

Yes, I see the benefit also great way to weed out some bad apples.

Reasonable or probable cause?  It is not your country and the law says they have the right to do it.

Obey the laws/rules no problem.

What has the biggest joke ever done to benefit the people of Thailand? What has he ever done to benefit ex-pats? What does he know about immigration, and what qualifies him for this important position?

What has he ever done to prove he is not another corrupt policeman? Not much in my opinion. The world knows how corrupt the Dark Tao investigation was. And his complicity suggests he is bought and paid for.

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What has the biggest joke ever done to benefit the people of Thailand? What has he ever done to benefit ex-pats? What does he know about immigration, and what qualifies him for this important position?

What has he ever done to prove he is not another corrupt policeman? Not much in my opinion. The world knows how corrupt the Dark Tao investigation was. And his complicity suggests he is bought and paid for.

Promotion indicates that may well be the case. Seems to be a poster boy for the junta and must have been pissing off the cops that are actually doing the arrests for yet another photo op for BJ.

BS! The only thing us legal people will experience is more scrutiny, hassles and the presumption of being illegal until we prove otherwise. Higher hurdles and flaming hoops to jump over and through. The old adage "a few bad apples" without fail spoils it for the rest. :coffee1:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Reasonable or probable cause?  It is not your country and the law says they have the right to do it.

I hope a team of immigration turn up at your place and check you out, taking photos. as they did to me, then you might change your tune !

• Like 1

The biggest joke was promoted from a high ranking collection officer, to a high ranking immigration officer. Without any experience in the latter. Rather typical of this administration, where talent and merit are never, ever a consideration for an appointment. Way to go little P. Moving Thailand backwards at a breath taking and staggering pace.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dontoearth said:

Just before yingluck left office the thaivisa news was that ex-pats would be able to send in their visa renewals at 7-11 and do their 90 day report from a phone app.  That must have been about 30 days before she left suddenly.  I thought both were excellent ideas.

And you think yingluck designed that?  Did it happen? No. Was it ever likely to happen? No.

Joke of the century.

Next example please.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dontoearth said:

That was fake news spread by someone on facebook.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Psychic said:

Big Joke announces that foreigners married to Thai citizens who have faithfully observed the laws of the country for years, if not decades will no longer be treated as potential criminals.

"A foreigner supporting Thai people financially, having a legal marriage to a Thai citizen, having to report every 90 days is a massive waste of government resources.

Further having a foreigner deported from the country because he falls marginally short of the financial requirements while having millions of baht in property serves neither the interests of the foreigner or his Thai dependents.

It is ludicrous to expend so much government resources on this.

We will, going forward, grant some sort of permanent status to those foreigners who have proven over the years to have contributed to the Thai economy and the Thai people."

"Big Joke"

Don't get, someone having wishful thing, or is this a real quote?

Don't see him having concerns about us, good foreign husbands and dads, while he is watching himself on TV.. 

I reckon he is just one more w....r.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

That was fake news spread by someone on facebook.

As far as I recall, it was an April 1st joke. (that you can do your 90 day report at 7-Eleven). ThaiVisa does come out with funny articles on that date every year.

Edited by lkv

10 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

What is written in the law is what is in the Police Order No 327/2557 at section 2.22.

That includes amounts (800/400, 65/40) and options (bank, incomes, combo).

BTW, changing this Police Order is a complicated and looong process. Last change was in 2013

You are quite right. 

Meeting the Financial Requirements for a Retirement Visa:

Financial Requirements are as follows:

• Bank Account showing THB 800,000
  • Monthly income of at least THB 65,000
  • Combination (Bank Account + Income x 12 = THB 800,000)

Up to oneself how to prove it   and make Immigration office happy I  suppose  ?!?

12 hours ago, Russell17au said:

There is enough of them on here that are trying to change the Thai Immigration laws to suit them selves now how hard would it be to put the word out and get something organized. If the Brits do not get off their backsides and get their mess sorted out then Thailand will be finished because if the Brits get Thailand to change the laws just for them then who will be next to want the laws changed and then who after them, Thailand must stand its ground and not change their laws to suit any other country. Britain don't change their laws to suit Thailand or any other country.

I was responding to your post.

I am not asking Thailand to change. The problem belongs to the British embassy and they have to sort it out.

It would be great if Immigration could sort out a standard set of rules that apply to ALL expats, whatever their nationality, and that those rules are standardised in EVERY Immigration office across the country.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sorry, you have zero knowledge of Thai government and civil rights.  Following WW2, Thailand made great efforts to democratize its government.  During the Vietnam War, the government was strongly anti-communist.  While democracy has failed with regard to military-led coups, all of its Constitutions have continued a pattern of upholding civil rights and privacy.  With respect to privacy, the Thai Constitutions are far stronger than the US.  The US Constitution didn't mention privacy.  Privacy did not become a protected right until Griswald v. Connecticut (1965), and we know that Justice Kavanaugh is going to do everything in his power to eliminate privacy as a constitutional right, as he believes in authoritianism.

BTW - this is a proper arrest.

Immigration looks up who has overstayed, and their enforcement division tracks down the suspected overstayer.  That is the way the law should be enforced, ID the overstayer through immigration records, and locate the suspect, arrest him, allow him to exit and be blacklisted, or hold him in detention for trial.  Random raids only give Thailand a bad reputation. 

Edited by zaphod reborn

17 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Many apologies for being an authoritian apologist ( what ever that means)

I rather like living here- I live in a developing country- it’s corrupt - probably much less than Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, China , Myanmar , Laos etc etc .

I do not like Western comparisons - in the city I used to live in - there is 1 camera for every 14 people - you are tracked by number plate throughout the entire country- George Orwell would turn in his grave . 

You say Expats don’t feel safe- this country is totally safer then any Western country.

As I suggested - anyone been raided? Hotels , condos raided? Of course not. If people swim about in the putrid swamp of brothels, drugs, beer bars, massage, exploitation of the poor population- maybe that's par for the course and expect some hassle from the police 

My condo, which has very large office and residential towers was raided two years ago.  There is a picture and warning of the raid in all of the elevator cars.  They targeted Indian nationals suspected of overstaying their 60 day tourist visas, as the condo prohibits short-term stays booked through BnB.

I hope I feel the benefit.  It's been six years of providing stacks of duplicate paperwork to prove that I'm (NS), married.  It's so easy to not follow the rules (as I know handfuls of'm), but so difficult to follow them.  Thanks for those who make it difficult all the while complain about Thailand.