"Foreigners throw trash too, you know!" - Thais reject notion they are solely to blame

webfact

49 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Difference is, the Flippers unlike thais dont blame it on the Foreigners

Actually, they do, hence the comparison. I have seen reams of arguments on Facebook where they deny it vehemently. 

To the point they will complain about a party that has hired people to pick up its trash after, while ignoring the fact that the garbage from the local families and their visiting hangers on remains on the beach 200 meters away around the point. 

Denial is not uniquely Thai, just ask the guy next to you with a combover. 

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Its a new Hub

Hub of the Facepalm. :jap:

Ps  Thais should just blame the Chinese

that will get them back real quick !!!!!!!! :cheesy:

Not far wrong, Thailand 'disposes'  plastic and electrical waste from China, all for a cost of course.  They dont do a very good job of it

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

I suppose thats why Jomtien beach is relatively clean most of the time but once its a thai holiday, the rubbish is unbelievable....saw a girl in a restaurant yesterday picking her nose and rolling her bogies....dirty unclean nation

Remember all the garbage at the palace after the funeral , no more to be said really that is how much they really think of Thailand

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I to have big fun "cleaning up" the beaches in Spain or South of France with my metal detector !!???? ...always find lot's of coins and other funny stuff on the beaches in EU.

Was not such a good catch in Thailand however as people seem richer and only seem to carry currency notes, as very few coins were found on the beach at Phuket ! ????

I knew a Spanish man that did the same he often found treasure on the beach, best i see was a gold watch.

Ive only seen one metal detector in Thailand and was a westerner

Also once in Ibiza some young dutch teens were going around swimming pools diving to the bottom finding money from drunk brits, easy money lol

I think that most of the rubbish washed up on beaches comes from boats at sea, and not necessarily all Thai vessels.
I lived near a fishing village. Sometimrs they would just empty their bins in the sea. Other times they would use a plastic bag for their rubbish and walk up and throw the bags in the sea. It did make me wonder the logic that they made their money from the sea but also use it as a rubbish bin. When I was young in Australia people threw rubbish everywhere but they had very effective TV campaigns and is better now. Too logical a solution for Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

5 hours ago, seajae said:

wife's office is at the local port, I often go down to say hi during the day and watch those fishing. Its not unusual to see mum and dad rock up with their rods and several bags of household rubbish. The rubbish gets thrown into the water on the inside shallows of the jetty then they take their rods and start fishing on the other side, rubbish is simply thrown where ever they want, thais have no respect for their country as can be seen by all the crap they throw on the streets, gutters and any waterways. Its also seen when they do it overseas when on tours, they do what ever is easiest for them.

Sadly, I must agree with your post. On my very first trip to Thailand, I recall asking my gf of the time, "why is there heaps of garbage beside most homes?".

So logically, when out in public, they do the same thing.

The government desires to increase tourism. A strict, long term educational campaign and garbage collection/recycling program would eventually boost tourism. I have met persons in my home country, who when they become aware that I travel to Thailand, comment about how dirty the country is.

It would have been ideal to include such a campaign in the junta 20 year plan. That's about how long it will take to be successful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmynewbie said:

Ive only seen one metal detector in Thailand and was a westerner

I own a metal detector and have used it a few times in Thailand. It's good exercise. I also pick up trash . 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, balo said:

Thais complaining about farangs should look outside their house first and they will spot their own pile of trash. Any soi in Thailand can be worse than a tourist beach. 

As i said earlier they left the palace trashed after the funeral and do on birthdays, they are a disgrace.

Many need more mirrors to see the real problem

11 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Oh come on,i have seen large groups of Thai's all sit down to eat and leave all the foam/plastic box's cup and plastic cutlery in a big heap under a tree,not many foreigners do that.

Go to the Gold Coast as see what some of the pigs leave in the parks after a long day of picnicing, bloody disgusting the amount of trash left for the council to pick up. I was amazed last time i was there at what the grubs were leaving.

On second thoughts its a tourist area, so its probably the foreigners or refugees being grubs.

15 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

This is the year 2018 not 1918.... other nations have machines that start cleaning the beach at day break and are usually finished in good time for people to enjoy a clean beach for the day... thats one man (operator) and one machine (pending on length / size of beach).  It's not rocket science and you cant tell me these local councils don't have enough cash in their kitty to buy such equipment. 

Exactly , sure they would make money buying them too, nice fat brown envelopes, but would they work..

There has been some docu's in the UK on recently about plastic, there are also machines that clean the rivers they collect rubbish as they float along

Edited by jimmynewbie

11 hours ago, HooHaa said:

Denial is not uniquely Thai, just ask the guy next to you with a combover. 

The combover is not denial. It's positive action to fix a problem. doing nothing would be denial that there is a problem in the first place. Maybe a wrong action choice. I would recommend a transplant. 

Go see Dr DAMNKERNG

if you want your hair back.  I recommend him. 

The issue is not Thais or foreigners throwing garbage on the beach or road but whether there is a gov system in place to operationally manage and enforce a proper waste management system?

in 19 years here, I have not seen one and there is daily evidence that an effective one doesn’t exists....

• Confused 1