Police Station asking condo management for a list of all foreigners living there+passport copy?

My friend is living in a building where some police officers came in the main office and asking condo management to submit a list of all foreigners living in the building plus a copy of their passports by end of the month.

Now, there a sign in every elevators asking all foreigners to come in, register and submit a copy of passport...

What are your thoughts? ????  Personally I don't have any issues with this but is this legal first?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes it’s legal. 

How do you know this? Did you call his local immigration office?

@OP: Could be legal, if you want to be sure you can call the respective immigration office (or police station) and ask if they really made this request.

Edited by jackdd
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

@OP: Could be legal, if you want to be sure you can call the respective immigration office (or police station) and ask if they really made this request.

Given the reporting laws, why would you think that it would be unlawful for the police to request information of foreigners in their area!

The local police station are supposed to keep a record of every foreigner living in their area. Under the law we (the foreigners) are supposed to report to the local police station within 24 hours of arrival, but it's not enforced. These days immigration are supposed to regularly update the local police with a list of expats living in their area. The local police have been more active -- albeit inconstantly -- in updating their records since the Bangkok bombing. And no doubt some stations will be trying to impress BJ, or cover the backsides.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

I have just left Koh Samui Immigration Office this morning and saw a notice on their wall, informing all accommodation rental owners that they are obliged to submit a copy of Guests Passports together with info on their stay.  So yes it is legal.

4 minutes ago, Ulic said:

I shake my head. Immigration has at least 150 photocopies of the information page of my passport already from numerous residence certificates, extensions of stays etc...ect...etc...I have no idea how one more passport photocopy will help them. Mother nature must be furious with Thailand thinking about the millions of trees cut and processed into paper for these bullshit requirements.

Think there is someone making big money on recycled paper. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I have two residences: own a condo in Jomtien and lease one in Bangkok. Will this sort of checking up lead to any problems? I imagine a few others might be in similar circumstances..

You will need to submit it to both of those condo offices a copy of your passport and copy of lease agreement. That's the notice that my condo is asking for all peeps living in the building. It's not just foreigners but they request that for Thai peeps too. 

Edited by bbi1

37 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

You will need to submit it to both of those condo offices a copy of your passport and copy of lease agreement. That's the notice that my condo is asking for all peeps living in the building. It's not just foreigners but they request that for Thai peeps too. 

peeps ????

Edited by BobTH
  • Confused 1

Yes it is legal. In fact where I live in Isaan I was told to report to the local police station and register my accommodation address and passport details. These details were also on record at our Immigration Office for visa purposes. All Thai hotels I have used also copy my passport when checking in and this is placed on record for police and immigration inspection if required. It is the law. 

2 hours ago, stgrhe said:

Well, as always there are many interesting replies. There is actually no obligation for a condo management to keep passport copies or, for that matter, report aliens staying in the condominium using the TM30 form. In a condominium that obligation belongs to the respective condo owner. 

This is what the Immigration Act states on the subject matter.

"Section 38: The house–master, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified."

So when my Kid comes to visit I have to submit a TM30?

How can I request the police to visit my condo. Is there a task force that can be contacted. Many condos in pattaya have been taken over with hotel.com airbnb holiday guests. Doubt if any of then has a completed tm30.. The illegal hotel owner taking cash in the carpark and taking it straight out of the country. Well done to the police for finally taking action. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, samsensam said:

my condo has a copy of my passport and has to record and submit details of all foreigners living here to the police, it has been happening it for years, as i'm here legally i have absolutely no issue with this. i believe it is common practice and maybe a legal requirement for condo owners to do this? a friend who owns a guest house told me guest houses and hotels have to record and submit details of guests to the police every night.

Common practice in any country I've ever visited or lived in.

8 minutes ago, Kenscot said:

How can I request the police to visit my condo. Is there a task force that can be contacted. Many condos in pattaya have been taken over with hotel.com airbnb holiday guests. Doubt if any of then has a completed tm30.. The illegal hotel owner taking cash in the carpark and taking it straight out of the country. Well done to the police for finally taking action. 

I was under the impression that subletting/AirBnb is illegal in Thailand. Does anyone know if this is indeed correct?

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

So when my Kid comes to visit I have to submit a TM30?

Someone is supposed to report them. If you are the property owner, or house-master (unlikely), or possessor of the property then it’s down to you. But not all offices enforce this law.

Begs a question why are holiday makers allowed to declare they will be staying in a private residential condominium at the point of entry. Obviously friends and family can be given appropriate documents to support their visit. When my family visits I make juristic aware giving passport copies etc. As soon as possible I also complete a tm30 at jomtiem immigration although sometimes difficult depending on arriving times. Tiredness of traveller and meeting immigration opening hours. Never had any real problems. It is the ones that flaunt condo rules and thai laws that need to worry...rightly so