Dengue fever cases over 50,000 in 2018 in Thailand. Is there seriously no vaccination for this yet?

BigWillyBurns

Mods, I posted this in the Medical forum by mistake. As I'll be a tourist in Thailand I'd rather post it here. Thanks.

From here - https://thethaiger.com/news/national/dengue-fever-cases-over-50000-in-2018

Guys, seriously. What the hell? How do I - as an overthinker - do Thailand without worrying myself to sleep every night when there?

Precautions

• Deet (50% or more)
  • Dettol soap (hated by mossies apparently)
  • long trousers/jeans after sunset
  • Keep fan beside bed
  • Spray clothes in Permethrin

What else?

Singapore seem to have got Dengue well under control. Why can't the Thai government be more vigilant in this too?

Article here .....

**"Thailand health officials say the number of people requiring treatment for dengue fever has already topped the 50,000 mark in the first eight months of 2018.

According to the Ministry of Health’s Bureau of Epidemiology, a total of 50,079 cases have been reported from the 77 provinces by August 27, of whom 65 died from complications related to the disease.

The areas where you are most likely to contract dengue include Phuket, Nakorn Pathom, Phichit, Maehongsorn and Krabi.

Dengue fever is an infectious disease carried by mosquitoes in mostly tropical regions around the world. Dengue used to be called “break-bone fever” because it often causes severe joint and muscle pain that patient’s describe feels like bones are breaking.

People contract the dengue virus from the bite of an infectious Aedes mosquito – you can’t get dengue from another human.

The Ministry of Health says there are three types of dengue fever which, in order of less severe to most, are: the typical uncomplicated dengue fever, dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHS) and dengue shock syndrome (DSS).

The World Health Organisation estimates there may be 50–100 million dengue infections worldwide every year.

However, new research from the University of Oxford and the Wellcome Trust suggests that the number is more likely to be 390 million dengue infections per year worldwide"**

My wife has a 6 rai banana, lemon, mango orchard where I help her cut and lift big stems of bananas. With some tall surrounding trees and overhead banana leaf there is a lot of shade. Going there without full arm and leg coverage would be a very high risk activity due to the huge number of Aedes mosquito's. Sure, the local authority sprays the village but there is no way they can spray the whole countryside. Singapore being not much more than a big town doesn't have quite the same problem. The other factor is poverty, with many country Thais in poor housing with no window nets and poor fitting doors. They get bitten in their sleep which I believe is the main cause of dengue. If they all slept under good nets it could help reduce the problem. 

6 hours ago, manchega said:

you are correct to be afraid of the mozzies, they are after the number killer of humans, which in itself not a bad thing.  We could do with a population reduction, but those mozzies are pretty inefficient in spreading fatal diseases,  get them little buggers driving would be a good plan

You volunteering to be at the front of the purge line? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are right in a strange way..

Where would the world have been without the 'vomito'?

..and no..I am not going to be the first to volunteer..????

I witnessed a  rather strange phenomenon in Thailand-from time to time members of my family (wife,stepson and daughter)all developed a sort of quartain ague..either malaria or something close too it..

All other Thais in the village  had this too..I guess that living on the marshy banks of a big river would do that to you.I used to call it (unscientifically) the Yellow Jack. 

Depends where the op is staying to how big the risk is. If I'm in a mosquito area then i put repellent on from the knee down, that is usually fine. Occasionally they bite through your clothes.

The worst places are often outside by plant pots, which collect water and mosquitoes. Some hotel staff are so thick they don't realise they are breeding them, but even if you tell them they feign interest and do nothing.

Check your room for mosquitoes, go on the hunt before dusk

How? Aren't they tiny?

The little fookers hide till you switch off the lights usually I thought?

Well what i do is, spray in hand, i go to the places they like to hide, on bags, clothes, on my bicycle, give them a shake, then they make a move and i spray them, feels good. Funny little things, they don't bite every day, its when the female is ovulating, so she is sizing things up bitch until its time

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2018 at 1:07 PM, londonthai said:

there is vaccination dengvaxia available in thailand from 2017. Only for people living in the tropics for a minimum 9 years or those after confirmed dengue

According to the information I have read on several different medical websites, it is not recommended for almost anyone unless you've already had dengue. It's also not recommended for people over 45 as its efficacy diminishes the older the patient and once you're over 45 the risks outweigh the benefits.

Here's the conclusion given on one of them:

In conclusion, let us repeat our recommendation again

We DO NOT recommend the use of dengue vaccine in travelers visiting Thailand. For those who live/work in Thailand (the expat), we also do not recommend. However if you have already get dengue infection in the past, you may be eligible to get the vaccine. 

Here's a link to the full article:

Dengue vaccine info

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

On 10/22/2018 at 2:20 PM, BigWillyBurns said:

The little fookers hide till you switch off the lights usually I thought?

As mentioned in Simoh1490`s post the mosquitos that carry the dengue-virus are active during daytime, especially around sunrise/sunset.  The ones in the night can potentially transmit malaria (afaik).

"Is there seriously no vaccination for this yet?"

Yes there is vaccinations but they are far from being effective.  Four different strains.  Current clinical trials: "It was 42.3 percent efficient in tackling serotype 2, one of the viral disease’s four strains, compared to 35 percent in a previous Asian trial on some 10,000 children, a relatively weak rate that has puzzled scientists."
But there is blood in the water and the bio-tech sharks circle: "On the long run, the global market for dengue vaccines, which is presently valued at close to US$ 250 Mn, will soar vigorously to rake in US$ 1,250.6 Mn revenues by the end of 2027."

Where there is money involved, a vaccine with appear to fill the void.  Well, for those with the money to afford it that is.  Everyone else?  Economic Darwinism my dear chap.  Those with the money live to breed.

There is an approved vaccine that came out in 2016, by Sanofi. Dengue is a wildcard that can kill. As a fourth year medical student in the Philippines, I helped to look after, wards full of Dengue fever sufferers in Manila. Too many died. Children, teens, older people, people with compromised immune systems. Take Dengue very seriously. Learn the symptoms and signs. Take all precautions available. (as opposed to listening to those trivializing the threat above who are speaking out of their bum).

Edited by Cactus99
  • Like 1

There is an approved vaccine that came out in 2016, by Sanofi. Dengue is a wildcard that can kill. As a fourth year medical student in the Philippines, I helped to look after, wards worth of Dengue fever sufferers. Too many died. Children, teens, older people, people with compromised immune systems. Take Dengue very seriously. Learn the symptoms and signs. Take all precautions available.

Mosquitos love dark/black surfaces. I close up my apartment before dusk, and spray their hiding places.

Apparently mosquitos are attracted to some blood groups more than others. When my GF and I are sleeping, they invariably home in on her, and leave me alone.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:36 PM, manchega said:

you are correct to be afraid of the mozzies, they are after the number killer of humans, which in itself not a bad thing.  We could do with a population reduction, but those mozzies are pretty inefficient in spreading fatal diseases,  get them little buggers driving would be a good plan

take those precaustions above, but only bother with deet in the jungle areas,

citronella will be fine otherwise same goes for permethrin

We could do with a population reduction,  Yeah, in particularly Walking Street, Soi 6, Boyz Town, Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy and Pat Pong come to mind.

• Haha 1

To be fair to the OP when I was first arrived in Thailand I was paranoid of the mosquitos. Visiting my misses place in the country the first time I had to use a umbrella because the mosquitos were so thick hovering above your head.  The good news since joining this forum its now on the bottom of my list of things to worry about whilst in Thailand.  Ahh the good ol days when ignorance was bliss in the land of smiles.

I just spent 3 days and 2 nights in the hospital with an IV in my arm. Dengue Fever ain't no joke. It started out slowly. Sluggish feeling and then comes a fever and then off to the hospital. I received a shot for yellow fever when I set off to Africa but I was not and still not aware of anything to immunize against Dengue Fever. Just be mindful of those little critters.  

I got the mild form in September and dealth with it with vitamin c and pain killers prescribed bottle for the cough. Did not stay in hospital. Took a while to get over it properly, about 3 weeks with a relapse. Must have got bitten in KampangPhet beside the river but cant be sure.

Glad to be over it, it felt like pneumonia with a severe flu.

Not all cases as in mine, are reported.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:59 AM, BigWillyBurns said:

Singapore seem to have got Dengue well under control. Why can't the Thai government be more vigilant in this too?

This is comparing apples and oranges.

Singapore is a highly organised city state, Thailand has a population of nearly 70 million in various urban environments, climates and a country twice the size of the UK with neighbours who are relatively very poor.

• Thanks 1

Dengue thrives in an URBAN environment and likes lots of people close together. It doesn't require a lot of water.

The vaccine so far has encountered some problems...it may increase severity of the illness in some circumstances ... as their are several strains of Dengue it is very difficult to get a "one shot fits all" vaccine that is effective.

The best thing to do is protect yourself....it helps to understand how the disease is transmitted and the natural history of the vector mozzies...... it seems most on this thread are not aware. Google it!

PS The only way to be sure you have Dengue is with a blood test that is correctly carried out.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

This is comparing apples and oranges.
Singapore is a highly organised city state, Thailand has a population of nearly 70 million in various urban environments, climates and a country twice the size of the UK with neighbours who are relatively very poor.
I read that in my area of Pattaya where a number of people got Dengue the spraying programme wasn't carried out properly, no further detail was offered but lets guess money was used elsewhere