Outdoor electrical sockets

KittenKong

I have an electrical socket on my balcony. Inevitably whoever fitted it used the very cheapest indoor type, and equally inevitably the plastic has simply disintegrated after only a decade or so. So I would like to fit a replacement that has a reasonable chance of lasting longer than I will.

Thai Watsudu have them, but at an eye-watering 480B each. Seems ridiculous for a bit of plastic.

Has anyone seen a robust outdoor product at a sensible price here? I can get these for 220B (equiv) in the UK, including individual delivery by post and VAT at 20%. Dont really see why one with a suitable Thai-style socket should cost more that a couple of hundred Baht here, though I am accustomed to most things being way overpriced of course. ☹️

314hDnDhO3L.jpg

50 minutes ago, Notagain said:

How do you keep any rain or water out of those ?

I don't, they do the keeping water out job when the covers are closed. ????

the top ones are under a 2.5 meter roof, the bottom ones have a water proof seal.

neither are designed to keep water out when something is connected, in the same way the OP's example isn't 

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

neither are designed to keep water out when something is connected, in the same way the OP's example isn't 

That isn't a priority for me as the socket is only used occasionally when it's dry. It's more the type of plastic used that is important. I dont want to have to replace it every few years.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That isn't a priority for me as the socket is only used occasionally when it's dry. It's more the type of plastic used that is important. I dont want to have to replace it every few years.

That's a simple fix, just paint them, as it's the UV that breaks down the plastic.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

...Has anyone seen a robust outdoor product at a sensible price here? I can get these for 220B (equiv) in the UK, including individual delivery by post and VAT...

In a low-cost department store in Switzerland, this type of outdoor electrical socket would cost the equivalent of about THB 1,000.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G-HJ3raV9NyTX9crT_UgsTf6r0lO6XUY/view?usp=drivesdk

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

In a low-cost department store in Switzerland, this type of outdoor electrical socket would cost the equivalent of about THB 1,000.

You can pay that for them in the UK too, but you can also find much cheaper as I mentioned.

I dare say the Zurich gnomes can easily afford 1000B anyway.

Here is seems unreasonable to pay an average day's wages for a simple electrical socket that must cost all of 20B to make.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That's a simple fix, just paint them, as it's the UV that breaks down the plastic.

That's a preventative solution, yes. Not much good for my existing socket though as it has completely disintegrated. Also one would need to repaint every few years. I'd rather just get a solid replacement that will last for 30 years and be done with it.

That's a preventative solution, yes. Not much good for my existing socket though as it has completely disintegrated. Also one would need to repaint every few years. I'd rather just get a solid replacement that will last for 30 years and be done with it.
Can anything be bought with that expected lifespan nowadays? Those days are long gone.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, baansgr said:

That's closer to what I was expecting and is a much more sensible price. It's UK format and so wont take Thai plugs without an adaptor, but I could live with that. But it doesnt seem to have the receptacle part and seems to be designed more for flush mounting. I need the screw-on surface mounted type.

8 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Can anything be bought with that expected lifespan nowadays? Those days are long gone.....

The right sort of plastic should last that long (barring accidents). The problem here is that the spec is usually pared down to the cheapest minimum, and so everything falls apart quickly.

57 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The problem here is that the spec is usually pared down to the cheapest minimum, and so everything falls apart quickly.

What do you expect in a tropical climate ? Products sold here are for what the general population can afford. You know that from reading your other posts, so why complain so much. If you want a quality product pay for it.

28 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Products sold here are for what the general population can afford.

Not really. The spec is pared down but the prices stay very high. Even rubbish here isn't cheap.

28 minutes ago, Notagain said:

If you want a quality product pay for it.

I'm prepared to. But I'm not prepared to pay stupid prices.

23 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

But I'm not prepared to pay stupid prices.

Then buy the cheap one and replace every couple of years. Whats your point ???? You think a merchant is going to sell you a quality product at a cheap price just because you are too cheap to pay for it ?

5 hours ago, Notagain said:

Whats your point ????

The point is that prices here can vary wildly from one store to another. So maybe some other board member has seen these items for a more sensible price. Hence my question.

Failing that I'll just get someone to bring me one from the UK, or get one myself on my next trip. 90% of my things came from there anyway, due to the silly prices here.

35 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Have you tried the big DIY place just past The Ambasador on the opposite side. 

Not yet, though I think we have one of those nearer town. I will probably try Baan and Beyond and Home Pro and Boonwhatsit this week as they are all fairly near each other.

I was just surprised that Thai Watsudu was so expensive for these sockets as usually it's on the cheaper side and so tends to be my first port of call.

57 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Not yet, though I think we have one of those nearer town. I will probably try Baan and Beyond and Home Pro and Boonwhatsit this week as they are all fairly near each other.

I was just surprised that Thai Watsudu was so expensive for these sockets as usually it's on the cheaper side and so tends to be my first port of call.

I know that story, $5 worth of gas to save $2.

Local electricians supply store and pick up a quality Bticino Idrobox socket outlet approx 350-400 B

idrobox.jpg.2daa11523e0f871016588003cc74cdad.jpg

6 hours ago, maxpower said:

I know that story, $5 worth of gas to save $2.

I go past those three shops once a week anyway, that's not a problem. Plus if I do manage to find a better/cheaper place the knowledge will be useful (and free) for the future.

And as I'm retired I have plenty of time available for that sort of thing.

6 hours ago, maxpower said:

Local electricians supply store and pick up a quality Bticino Idrobox socket outlet approx 350-400 B

That's what they had in Thai Watsudu, but £10 for a wall socket seems completely ridiculous to me.

Archived