residence certificate for license renewal

lexilis

(Yes I have looked over the pinned topic on license renewal and could not find an answer to this)

Regarding the requirement for a "residence certificate" for renewing the five-year license, would a copy of the house lease plus a copy of the owners house book be sufficient? I do not recall getting a "residence certificate" five years ago.

The driving license dept is quite fussy. I think it's standard procedure that they need one.

I had mine renewed last month and they requested for one.

They don't have the time to look at your house lease and that's non-standard document anyway.

They need something standard like the government residence cert.

When I went to change my address in my bike's registration book, they requested for one too.

I had to wait four ridiculous long weeks for my residence cert. Don't know whether they have improved on the waiting time after Big Joke went there.

Edited by EricTh

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

I had to wait four ridiculous long weeks for my residence cert. Don't know whether they have improved on the waiting time after Big Joke went there.

Wow!..you get it in Soi 5 Jomtien on the spot.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, johng said:

Jomtien charge 300 baht and you have the certificate in about 20 minutes...rather good service but no good at all for residents of Chaingmai.

Thanks. And what documentation does Jomtien Immigration require before issuing resident certificate?

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

They need something standard like the government residence cert.

When I went to change my address in my bike's registration book, they requested for one too.

If you have a 'Yellow Book', no need for the residence cert.

1 hour ago, johng said:

Jomtien charge 300 baht and you have the certificate in about 20 minutes...rather good service but no good at all for residents of Chaingmai.

Here in Chiang Mai Immigration assume locals have a bit more time and money on thier hands... :coffee1:

OP

Where are you?

I did the whole process of renewing my  5 yr license last Friday - but last was at Jomtien immigration  / Chonburi transportation office .

I can give you all the information- and what to expect. 

Yes a residence certificate is required . 

I paid 500 baht in Samui and 600 baht in Udon Thani for this document.

I can never get a receipt for my payments so am not sure if these charges are "legal" or they will come under BJ's TIP's classification and in future will be free ?

I went to Chang Wattana last week for one. Got given a slip to come back for the certificate in a months time. Advised that there was zero cost for the service. Needed copies of passport bio page, current visa pages and, entry/departure card copy, original arrival date stamp photocopy and a copy of wifes blue book showing condo address. They only processed it because I report for 90 day stays there. Alledgedly according to them, they are phasing the service out.

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

OP

Where are you?

I did the whole process of renewing my  5 yr license last Friday - but last was at Jomtien immigration  / Chonburi transportation office .

I can give you all the information- and what to expect. 

Yes a residence certificate is required . 

I'd appreciate that Information.

OP here. That's great that getting this certificate is easy and quick in Jomtien and wherever but this is Chiang Mai. Everyone who lives here already knows that Immigration is a disaster and everything is much more difficult here. I have now heard in several places that it takes about a month to get this certificate if you do it yourself and the "fee" is about 700 Bt. My visa service (which takes care of retirement visa renewal) can get it in about 6 days for a price of 1700 Bt. (the service fee is 1000 Bt.). That's the way I will go.

54 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

I paid 500 baht in Samui and 600 baht in Udon Thani for this document.

I can never get a receipt for my payments so am not sure if these charges are "legal" or they will come under BJ's TIP's classification and in future will be free ?

how long can you hold your breath for ?

I realize this is CM forum. I tired to renew my driver license at Chieng Wattana. I don't have any kind of "book", be it blue or yellow. They needed a receipt of 90 day report. Without that, no chance to get residence certificate. Believe me I checked.

Since I travel a lot, and cross the border many times within the 90 days, I think I have only done a 90 day report one time in 20 years. Final result: impossible to get residence certificate without receipt of 90 day report, therefore impossible to get driver license. I have one year visa, but illegal to drive go figure.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lexilis said:

OP here. That's great that getting this certificate is easy and quick in Jomtien and wherever but this is Chiang Mai. Everyone who lives here already knows that Immigration is a disaster and everything is much more difficult here. I have now heard in several places that it takes about a month to get this certificate if you do it yourself and the "fee" is about 700 Bt. My visa service (which takes care of retirement visa renewal) can get it in about 6 days for a price of 1700 Bt. (the service fee is 1000 Bt.). That's the way I will go.

I think some of these visa agents go through the back door to get it prioritized.

That's why those who DIY have to wait 1 month which used to be 2 weeks last year.

I just can't believe they can only process 10-20 certs per day when it takes only 10 minutes to verify and print each cert which is just one paper.

I've met the lady doing the residence cert and she isn't polite at all. She had another assistant but she's a newbie who gave wrong info to me .

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, lexilis said:

Perhaps you should consider another agent.This one is obviously a rip off. The normal 'fee' for this cert is 500 baht.

55 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

I realize this is CM forum. I tired to renew my driver license at Chieng Wattana. I don't have any kind of "book", be it blue or yellow. They needed a receipt of 90 day report. Without that, no chance to get residence certificate. Believe me I checked.

Since I travel a lot, and cross the border many times within the 90 days, I think I have only done a 90 day report one time in 20 years. Final result: impossible to get residence certificate without receipt of 90 day report, therefore impossible to get driver license. I have one year visa, but illegal to drive go figure.

If USA citizen can get residence certificate at USA embassy. Cost 50 dollars. 

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

If USA citizen can get residence certificate at USA embassy. Cost 50 dollars. 

Question: I went to get a certificate at the US Embassy this week.  Does it require translation and

if so does it require the Ministry of Foreign Affairs verification too?  Planning to use it

for license renewal (already have 5 year license).

Edited by expat_4_life

Attention Attention. As of 0900 this morning Immigration office at Jomtien will not issue any more Residents Certificate. I was told to go LTD and sort it out with them. 

I have confirmed with 2 other sources this morning. A visa agent and a person that does licenses. Both confirmed the same information. 

Licence lady said maybe it will be sorted by next week. 

22 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Question: I went to get a certificate at the US Embassy this week.  Does it require translation and

if so does it require the Ministry of Foreign Affairs verification too?  Planning to use it

for license renewal (already have 5 year license).

No it does not require translation.  I used one three years ago to get my two year license and another one to open a bank account. 

• Like 1

Attention Attention. As of 0900 this morning Immigration office at Jomtien will not issue any more Residents Certificate. I was told to go LTD and sort it out with them. 
I have confirmed with 2 other sources this morning. A visa agent and a person that does licenses. Both confirmed the same information. 
Licence lady said maybe it will be sorted by next week. 
Have you posted this in the Pattaya forum too ?
Dont know what the LTD (DLT) would except instead of a certificate as a person using residence certificate is unlikely to have a yellow book (which Pattaya DLT dont except anyway) or a work permit..

This will also effect persons buying/selling vehicles and trying to open bank accounts too ! !

If somebody is on tourist visa, are they able to sell their vehicle without residence cert?

Let's say in the past, they were residence but decided to move out of Thailand but their vehicles need to be sold.