Where can I get a 240v to 120v invertor

glockdoc

I need a 1500 watt peak invertor  to  step down from 240-110v for a Blendtec blender I brought from the US. 

1500 watts peak seems to be the problem.  I can find lower powers, but do not want to burn up the motor in a $500USD blender. Blendtec can swap the circuit board out to 240v.....for another 15,000b. LOL

Anyway, to avoid answers from folks that don't actually read the post ( nooooo, not on this forum....)........

1500 Watt 240v stepdown to 110v. 

Thank you in advance!

JC

It is a step-down TRANSFORMER you need. Many sound  equipment companies use them if using US amplifiers in UK or here. Don't know about prices but they will be available in more than 1500 watts. God, I bet that makes a smooth smoothie !

An Inverter converts AC/DC or DC/AC so you don't want that. A 240/120 Stepdown Transformer will reduce the voltage, but you problem will be that US power is 120V 60hz whereas the rest of the world is 220/240V 50Hz this means that you may also require a frequency converter as your appliances motor will be designed and wound for 60Hz. (20% faster)

1 hour ago, BoganInParasite said:

Got mine via Lazada. Brand is Singway. Has a switch to either step up or step down the voltage and a lot of warnings not to get that wrong. I was after a step down for a printer, Sony TV and Webber electric BBQ all purchased in the USA. Works a treat.

Found one in lazada, 265 baht. Search for electric transformer.

13 hours ago, Oink said:

An Inverter converts AC/DC or DC/AC so you don't want that. A 240/120 Stepdown Transformer will reduce the voltage, but you problem will be that US power is 120V 60hz whereas the rest of the world is 220/240V 50Hz this means that you may also require a frequency converter as your appliances motor will be designed and wound for 60Hz. (20% faster)

You could check the label, it may be 120V 50/60hz.........if so, it will work on a transformer just fine, if only 120V 60hz, it will work, but burn up slooooowly over a period of time..........

My wife brought our 1300 watt Ninja Blender with us because we couldn't find a 240v version.  We bought some of those small step down transformers you plug in that said they could handle 1500 watt.  They fried almost instantly.

Trust me get one of these 2000 watt models:

http://siamneonline.com/eng/products.php?cat_id=9&sub_id=24

10 hours ago, rwill said:

My wife brought our 1300 watt Ninja Blender with us because we couldn't find a 240v version.  We bought some of those small step down transformers you plug in that said they could handle 1500 watt.  They fried almost instantly.

Trust me get one of these 2000 watt models:

http://siamneonline.com/eng/products.php?cat_id=9&sub_id=24

There s no price on their website...maybe for the price of the stepdown transformer  you could buy a perfectly reasonable "brand new with warranty" 220v 50hz blender from Tesco or Big C  ????

2 hours ago, johng said:

There s no price on their website...maybe for the price of the stepdown transformer  you could buy a perfectly reasonable "brand new with warranty" 220v 50hz blender from Tesco or Big C  ????

Agreed: No use outside the US. Bin it and get a new one for 1,200 Baht.

Sell it on ebay on your next trip home.

18 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You could check the label, it may be 120V 50/60hz.........if so, it will work on a transformer just fine, if only 120V 60hz, it will work, but burn up slooooowly over a period of time..........

It's a blender and by nature a short-cycle appliance so the Hz difference won't make a hill of beans difference. Now if it was an always-on appliance like a fan motor on some other appliance, then it will eventually fry. Inductive electrical loads (motors and compressors) don't like 50Hz when built for 60 Hz and vice versa.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's a blender and by nature a short-cycle appliance so the Hz difference won't make a hill of beans difference. Now if it was an always-on appliance like a fan motor on some other appliance, then it will eventually fry. Inductive electrical loads (motors and compressors) don't like 50Hz when built for 60 Hz and vice versa.

????????????  it will run slower, and any programming ability will be sketchy, he should watch for the smoke..............it took a year to run down my US Fridge, by them I got my moneys worth........since hem I always buy 50/60 wether I step up or step down.

Blendtec blog:  https://www.blendtec.com/blogs/news/can-i-use-my-blendtec-blender-in-other-countries

"... countries often differ in power frequency (50–60 hertz, this usually doesn't affect our blenders) ..."  You might want to contact Blendec about your specific model.  If it uses a universal wound electric motor, they are less sensitive to frequency.  I have an old sewing machine here in the US and I think the motor is rated from 40 - 70 Hz or thereabouts.  My old Makita corded drill will run on DC or AC, as will some angle grinders. 

As far as a transformer, I'd go double on the wattage, just for the inrush current.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Sacrilege!

I mean, where do you get the smoke from? I mean without plugging it into 220V?

Yeah, yeah I know. But I was living in a gated community in Phoenix and nothing else was allowed. It's here with me in Thailand now and since it is likely to be hungry for power and might burn out the step down transformer, I've got a project in mind to convert it to a charcoal burner. There is a few videos on YouTube of folks doing that to electric BBQs.

7 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

????????????  it will run slower, and any programming ability will be sketchy, he should watch for the smoke..............it took a year to run down my US Fridge, by them I got my moneys worth........since hem I always buy 50/60 wether I step up or step down.

Imperceptibly slower.

Programming circuits and logic are voltage dependent not frequency dependent. No effect.

A fridge is a high duty-cycle device. Good that you eked a year out of it though, mostly depends on the build of the motors and ventilation. Excess heat caused by frequency mismatches can be wicked away through larger metal castings, solid contacts with other heat-sinking meterials and a decent air flow. Imported US-made RV air-conditioners only lasted a couple of months in Australia on the correct voltage but wrong frequency.

Luckily, more and more appliances and electronics are 50/60 Hz these days. If any item is 60Hz only, it's probably a fossil already.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived