Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

It seems to me to be a minor problem.

The average US monthly social security over $1400; which is over B46K.

Enough for any American married to a Thai to meet the B40k/mo requirement.

If not married to a Thai; you'll have to amass almost $7k/B230k to make the requirement.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rama said:

No problem meeting income requirements but won't put 800k in a Thai bank. 1 Year visa at airport in Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh City....Wait until Pattaya and Chiang Mai start emptying out. Thais will be up in arms over lost business.

They won't be reducing the income requirements whatever happens.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

There's a much overlooked addendum to the Police Order where foreigners who have been here longer on consecutive extensions or are between 55 and 60 years old, get a break on how much they need to show, either lump sum or monthly income either of which is in a Thai bank account in their name.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been
consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following
criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids
maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have
a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000
(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual
fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less
than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000

So, under (a) they'll be 80 years old now and under (b) they'll be a minimum of 75 years old.

Doesn't help most people, I suspect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

They won't be reducing the income requirements whatever happens.

I'm surprised they have never increased requirements, the same figures have been in place for close to 20 years now!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rama said:

No problem meeting income requirements but won't put 800k in a Thai bank. 1 Year visa at airport in Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh City....Wait until Pattaya and Chiang Mai start emptying out. Thais will be up in arms over lost business.

I am leaning in this direction as well. I can easily do the deposit, but why stay where I am not wanted? Take my money and my pension and check out somewhere else.

Regarding the 65,000 monthly income...

1.) Does that need to be shown as originating from outside of Thailand, via some verifiable paper trail?

a.) Say a single, or multiple, FTT transaction?

b.) Or can I make ATM withdrawal(s) from a U.S. bank, and then deposit cash? If so do I need to save the ATM slips?

2.) Does this 65,000 need to be shown for the previous 12 months? Or 6 months?

3.) Do I have to spend down this 65,000 each month to show I am using it for living expenses?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

It seems to me to be a minor problem.

The average US monthly social security over $1400; which is over B46K.

Enough for any American married to a Thai to meet the B40k/mo requirement.

If not married to a Thai; you'll have to amass almost $7k/B230k to make the requirement.

How easy would it be to verify the US social security payment?

24 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Because they've admitted that they haven't really been verifying anything. If they were actually verifying income claims they wouldn't have had to stop issuing the letters.

They've (BE) never 'verified' anything.   They supplied a letter statement that the applicant had shown them documentation that indicated that they had xxxx income.    There was also a disclaimer in the letter.   Now, TI want verification which would make Consuls culpable should that information prove to be incorrect or false.   I'm sure that the legal departments in all embassies have/will deliberate very carefully over this.

16 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

I just received a notarized affidavit last week and intend to use it after this weekend. Will immigration still accept for now ?

Thanks

As far as is known, yes. People have extended in the last few days with them with no problem and there has been no official announcement of a change from Thai Immigration. Also, the US Embassy site indicates that TI will continue to honor letters for their 6 month validity period.

2 minutes ago, Rama said:

What lost business? Here's how many of us were here in 2010. With all the economic crashes and recoveries, I seriously doubt there's been any notable surges of the well-heeled from anywhere 'way over there' except maybe more Burmese.

farangs2010.thumb.png.b560e85f02ccf4e9b8ba520fca876af3.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rama said:

Nope. If it happens it'll be gradual and the common Thai will have no idea why.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, certacito said:

It has nothing to do with bringing capital in and why is it a "scummy move" for Thai Immigration to say that the income needs verifying? Or are you saying that the US embassy are being scummy because you want them to perform a job/duty that they are totally incapable of doing?

Have to agree that they would be incapable of doing income verification; especially, seeing more than half of the embassy staff are locals. They would not have access to information needed to do the verification(s).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rama said:

Agreed. Many millionaires in Chaing Mai and Pattaya. Old scousers with 2m baht to their names.

We could all leave tomorrow and the economy wouldnt budge a cm. Besides, if it's a national imperative who cares?

No matter how bad YOU perceive the policy. Perhaps even it's empirically bad financially - it may still have sound other reasons and objectives.

I'll get your hat...

Edited by Number 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, certacito said:

It has nothing to do with bringing capital in and why is it a "scummy move" for Thai Immigration to say that the income needs verifying? Or are you saying that the US embassy are being scummy because you want them to perform a job/duty that they are totally incapable of doing?

The British government requires 3 MILLION baht for a long stay visa, so I guess the Thais are saying, what's sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander. So suck it up and put the small amount of money in

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Regarding the 65,000 monthly income...

1.) Does that need to be shown as originating from outside of Thailand, via some verifiable paper trail?

a.) Say a single, or multiple, FTT transaction?

b.) Or can I make ATM withdrawal(s) from a U.S. bank, and then deposit cash? If so do I need to save the ATM slips?

2.) Does this 65,000 need to be shown for the previous 12 months? Or 6 months?

3.) Do I have to spend down this 65,000 each month to show I am using it for living expenses?

#3 - definitely not though they would likely expect to see some withdrawals taking place, otherwise  they might question how you are financing your life here. Likewise it is not necessary to fully expend 800K a year for those who use that method.

#2 - unclear at this point. What has been said by the Embassies seems to imply monthly but we have heard nothing form Thai Immigration itself.

#3 - In the past not needed to show origin but we really do not know what the new regs will be. I would advise saving all ATM receipts for now as a precaution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeOKitches said:

How are they screwed? ????They can still get an Income Affidavit notarized NOW, and it's still good for 6 months after issuance. It's all in black and white (see attachment). If they get it next month November 2018, it'll be good until April 2019. People who have to renew in January and February 2019 will still be covered. 

USEmbassyIncomeAffidavit.jpg

Traditionally immigration has wanted a certificate within 30 days of renewal. If immigration will honor for six months that's great, but I have not seen that statement from Thai Immigration, and I've noticed the Thai gov changes it's mind nimbly ???? 

Time will tell.

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Pretty easy if you filter it through a Thai bank.

No, what I mean is can you get an official document from social security verifying what your income is that you are receiving from them?

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As far as is known, yes. People have extended in the last few days with them with no problem and there has been no official announcement of a change from Thai Immigration. Also, the US Embassy site indicates that TI will continue to honor letters for their 6 month validity period.

Yes, they Embasssies have been reasonable in allowing all reasonable people up to 2 months to get the letters and Thai Immigration even more reasonable in allowing up to 6 months to use them.

Meanwhile, all the unreasonable people are frantically googling the likes of "Vietnam as a retirement venue"... among others.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Fred31 said:

he British government requires 3 MILLION baht for a long stay visa,

Only 3 million baht? Or is it 3 million pound? Many European countries will require 300K-500K Euro (invested not put in a passive savings account). US requires 500K USD

7 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

No, what I mean is can you get an official document from social security verifying what your income is that you are receiving from them?

my Social Security Securely access information from your Social Security record, including earnings history and estimates of your retirement, disability and ...

3 hours ago, ianf said:

How appalling. For those of us with GENUINE pension letters and statements...which is most of us... we are the ones getting damaged by this and yeah! I dont transfer everything to Thailand each month. a) because I visit UK and need some money there and (b) because it is easier to do in a lump and (c) because my wife earns she contributes to household expenses and I dont need 65000 here each month. Its appalling that you assume everyone except yourself is a cheat.

If you are married the requirement is 40000 not 65000. Or 400,000 lump sum,

According to the British Embassy, Thai immigration has never insisted on affadavits to extend a retirement visa.

As I understand their advice, this can be done simply by producing printout of a Thai bank account showing at least 90,000 baht paid in each month since the previous extension.  

The printout should be stamped and signed by a bank official and the relevant bankbook will also need to be produced. Presumably, this guidance will apply equally to retirees of all nationalities.

12 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Traditionally immigration has wanted a certificate within 30 days of renewal.

It has been officially 6 months since June of 2013 when immigration did a directive about it.

Have used them that are 3 or 4 months old without a problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1