Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

If they simply say Baht 800,000 or Baht 65,000 shown per month, that will leave a lot of people high and dry.

Like you I would especially like some clear guidelines on  the combination method since it would be the least "messy" method for me.

Not sure how lump sum OR regular income leaves anyone high and dry. What other ways are there to get your money?

The combination method isn't enshrined in any Police Order and is an 'option' offered by the Immigration Office. It can vary from office to office. I think a visit to the IO under who's jurisdiction you fall is required to see what they will or won't accept.

3 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

It is their typical 'knee-jerk' reaction to Big Jokes clamp down. Yes they want to stop the 'bad guys', but have not thought about the effect on us legit ones doing it properly as per their requirements!!

This predates the appointment of BJ by quite a few months.  But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. 

2 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

What really irritates me is how the agents keep cutting in front of people waiting in the numbered queue by just walking into the office with their applications. They should have to wait in line like the rest of us or there should be a separate agent to handle their applications

that made me nuts.....

As I have stated in other posts, I extended my visa last week here in Chiang Mai. In addition to my income affidavit (which I had already been told was insufficient to verify my income to immigration), I provided a copy of a one-page document indicating my US government pension and monthly amount I receive. Also provided a copy of my Thai bank account passbook showing the monthly deposits made since January. I was in and out of immigration with my visa extension and MEP in about 2 hours. I recognize that not everyone has the same situation I have, but if they do I think this won't be a big deal.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, oobar said:

This seasoned 800k has to arrive from out of the country, right?  In the case of someone who has several million baht in a Thai RMF or provident fund, money previously earned in Thailand, does that also mean one cannot simply cash out 800k for the deposit?

Nope..source is never checked....I brought mine over in 200k chunks.

2 hours ago, willwildy said:

Found verification on the Chiang Mai consulate site but it isn't all as dire as you are making it out to be. The thais are allowing people to renew/extend up to 3 months early, the consulate will be issuing affadavits till december 31st, and they are still good for 6 months. 

Can you give a link to that, I can't find it. Only a non specific reference to "early renewal" on the main US Embassy page.

Makes quite a difference as a 3 month early renewal window means anyone with renewal due up to Sept 30 can still get by this year on the usual Embassy letter.

Would seem to leave tsome of hose with an October renewal screwed though as far as income method goes.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

What's a "tame Thai lawyer", exactly?

If I was Thai immigration I wouldn't trust any Thai lawyer.  They openly  advertise their corrupt immigration services on line and the competition is fierce.  About Bt25,000 for a retirement visa and all will fall into place.  You don't need any money in a Thai bank account.  Well maybe for one day and well sort that out.  Shop around you may be able to get you retirement visa for Bt 18,000 it's all a joke.  Perhaps the current situation in Thailand is the start of fixing things but don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

Consular outreach in Phuket is provided by the American Citizen Services unit of the Consulate in Bangkok, so this will apply anywhere that they conduct outreach services (Pattaya, Phuket, etc). People thinking that the grass is greener elsewhere should look at what Malaysia requires. Applicants over 50 have to show liquid assets over RM350,000 ($83,842) , and a monthly income over RM10,000 ($2395.00). They must make a fixed deposit in a Malaysian bank of RM150,000 ($36,000). (Applicants who receive a government pension used to be exempted from making any fixed deposit although recently this exemption is no longer being given). A $5000 bond is also required to be posted. Whether this is refundable or not I don't know. Thailand has set the bar much, much lower for us. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I don't want to mess with the FBAR hassle. I also don't want to move 800,000 from America anymore because I'd do it thru the Bangkok Bank and my home banks don't know diddly about IACH, lucky that they can accomplish ACH regular. Gonna be a choice between devils you hate and those you don't know.

Well, start packing.

The FBAR is quite simple to deal with after you sort it one year. I list four accounts including my wife's account. The automated process is fast and consistent. The US government doesn't care about your xxxx xxx having some paltry 50k over here. They are looking for people with 50m.

Up to you

Edited by Number 6
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

I guess I must be in the minority because I go to USA for annual visit about the same time each year so I get a new O-A visa there every other year and just a re-entry permit here on the off years so I avoid the banking requirement here. Obviously timing is important to maximize benefit of re-entry permit.

i think they will be going after the agents next because many of them just put the 800,000 b in accounts for a short time for their customers so there is obvious collusion.  What really irritates me is how the agents keep cutting in front of people waiting in the numbered queue by just walking into the office with their applications. They should have to wait in line like the rest of us or there should be a separate agent to handle their applications.

Guess that is what I will be doing from now on. But, the retirement visa was very convenient. 

Thailand is a great hub for travel. Easy in and out, relax here. Then head out to other places to explore.

6 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

I guess I must be in the minority because I go to USA for annual visit about the same time each year so I get a new O-A visa there every other year and just a re-entry permit here on the off years so I avoid the banking requirement here. Obviously timing is important to maximize benefit of re-entry permit.

i think they will be going after the agents next because many of them just put the 800,000 b in accounts for a short time for their customers so there is obvious collusion.  What really irritates me is how the agents keep cutting in front of people waiting in the numbered queue by just walking into the office with their applications. They should have to wait in line like the rest of us or there should be a separate agent to handle their applications.

Good strategy, but I personally wouldn't do it at Kalorama, but LA always seemed to be smooth sailing...and actually answers the phone. 

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thai Police order 777/2551 hasn't changed thus Thai Immigration's requirements haven't changed.

Not exact.

Police order didn't change for 5 years now. True.

But requirements in Immigration Office changed several times.

Don't forget by example that the Embassy Letter is not in the law (not in Police Order),

it's an internal rule that TI make to apply the Police Order.

They can change these rules as they want, when they want.

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I don't want to mess with the FBAR hassle. I also don't want to move 800,000 from America anymore because I'd do it thru the Bangkok Bank and my home banks don't know diddly about IACH, lucky that they can accomplish ACH regular. Gonna be a choice between devils you hate and those you don't know.

FBAR is seriously easy. I do it online within 10 minutes.

Transferwise might be an alternative to ACH for banks that don't have it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

It's an absolute shame, someone who has 2000/2500$ every month could be a retiree in Thailand and certainly live decently,  now if this person does not have 25 000 $ in saving to put in a Thai bank he will be forced out? 

There's a much overlooked addendum to the Police Order where foreigners who have been here longer on consecutive extensions or are between 55 and 60 years old, get a break on how much they need to show, either lump sum or monthly income either of which is in a Thai bank account in their name.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been
consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following
criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids
maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have
a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000
(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual
fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less
than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Not sure how lump sum OR regular income leaves anyone high and dry. What other ways are there to get your money?

If you've read through even a fraction of the posts in this thread there are a lot of people who have sufficient income, can't come up the Baht 800,000 and can't meet the 65,000 per month deposits into an account.

I won't attempt to explain why many of those people would find those two options impossible or undesirable in their circumstances ... all you need to do is wade through all the posts that came before this one.

Keeping a balance of a few hundred thousand baht for three months before renewing, plus a lower per month deposit would work for many of them.

Edited by Suradit69

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The combination method isn't enshrined in any Police Order and is an 'option' offered by the Immigration Office. It can vary from office to office. I think a visit to the IO under who's jurisdiction you fall is required to see what they will or won't accept.

It is in the rescinded police order you posted about earlier. But it is the same in police order 327/2557.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than
Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The combination method isn't enshrined in any Police Order and is an 'option' offered by the Immigration Office.

wasnt that part of the Police order you quoted under 2.22 (5)? Im confused. It goes back to the issue, for Yanks, of verifying their social security government payments. $1700 social security is 56,000 baht today. So that means one would only need to maintain 150K in the bank, which IMHO is a bare minimum.

Maybe someone needs to contact SS in the Phils about how to get certified copies. Then again, would the Thais accept them?

2 minutes ago, Caine said:

They know something we don’t getting as much outside cash into Land of Scams as possible.  Are they going tits up then it’s thank you Velly much. Solly money all for Thailand. 

Oh dear God save us.

The Thai banking system is hands down the most solid of all developing nations. You'll see problems in China before Thailand. The only issue like every other country is internal debt.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Not exact.

Police order didn't change for 5 years now. True.

But requirements in Immigration Office changed several times.

Don't forget by example that the Embassy Letter is not in the law (not in Police Order),

it's an internal rule that TI make to apply the Police Order.

They can change these rules as they want, when they want.

But the minimum amounts and methods are in the Police Order AND are exactly what is accepted by ALL Immigration Offices.

The income letter option has gone.

The alternatives are clear... except for the combo method that some offices allowed. I would wager that they will kill that option slowly too. Lump sum OR regular income, just like the Police Order says. No embellishments and caveats.

The new broom is sweeping clean.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eggers said:

Contacted AUS embassy early this week & advised there are no planned changes to provision of Notary services, including witnessing of Stat Decs.. Stand to be corrected, but, both UK & US embassies, were verifying citizen's income, whereas AUS embassy only witnessing signing of Stat Dec; verifying signatory, NOT actual content....  

This is the exact reason why the British and US Embassies are stopping the service.

Just because the Aussie Embassy don't realise it yet doesn't mean they won't be affected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No problem meeting income requirements but won't put 800k in a Thai bank. 1 Year visa at airport in Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh City....Wait until Pattaya and Chiang Mai start emptying out. Thais will be up in arms over lost business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1