Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

I don't know why people want to think such....it's not like in the movies/TV shows where they pull up info even showing your underwear size in a few seconds.   And I'm sure the embassy has no one on staff which can tell where an income docs is fake or real just by looking at it.

Agreed!  Although I am willing to release my underwear size as long as Thai immigration will waive the 800K in the bank!

13 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Ah yes- a statement of fact  that makes perfect sense- may the blessings of Iskabible fall upon you  and yours and may your teeth NOT fallout before Thanksgiving.

Your reply makes no sense at all. Keep taking the tablets.

The US Embassy has no capability to check with the govt agencies that pay pensions such as the SSA, DFAS, etc....or financial companies that pay pensions/make payments....nor to check with the IRS to see what a person's tax return says.  I don't know why people want to think such....it's not like in the movies/TV shows where they pull up info even showing your underwear size in a few seconds.   And I'm sure the embassy has no one on staff which can tell whether an income doc is fake or real just by looking at it.

I didn’t say they did, nor do I think the could for any number of reasons, but the capability is there, so if it was something they wanted or were compelled to do, getting set up to provide certified copies of tax returns or any government payments would be relatively easy. Private sector and banks probably not.

I can't believe some of you folks are whining about a monthly SWIFT charge if that's what saves you from having to deposit 800K baht in a Thai bank.

But I just solved the dilemma about having to provide the onerous Thai Medical Certificate so -- if no extension via monthly FTT deposit in Thai bank by mid-2019 -- for me it's likely

UP UP and O-A!

• Like 1

My plan B is to get another OA from the LA Thai Consulate.  I did not think a medical exam which only checks the following was that Onerous:

free of the following diseases
LEPROSY TUBERCULOSIS (T.B.) ELEPHANTIASIS
DRUG ADDICTION THIRD STEP OF SYPHILIS

Thank you

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I did not think a medical exam which only checks ...

Well that's my comment and I'm sticking to it. The exam itself isn't maybe onerous -- finding some MD to do it in USA maybe is.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Thank you
Well that's my comment and I'm sticking to it. The exam itself isn't maybe onerous -- finding some MD to do it in USA maybe is.

Open up a dialogue with via emails with the LA consulate on whether a certificate from an on of the international hospitals in Thailand.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Open up a dialogue with via emails with the LA consulate on whether a certificate from an on of the international hospitals in Thailand.

Good luck getting LA to even open up your emails, no less respond.  They appear to have only one person handling Visa's there since he complains he is too busy with walk ins to process mail applications

Several years ago I did get DC to accept a medical certificate from BNH  since it was only two weeks old, but was told in the future it must be from a doctor in your home country, as it states in the instructions and on the form

Good luck getting LA to even open up your emails, no less respond.  They appear to have only one person handling Visa's there since he complains he is too busy with walk ins to process mail applications

Several years ago I did get DC to accept a medical certificate from BNH  since it was only two weeks old, but was told in the future it must be from a doctor in your home country, as it states in the instructions and on the form

Well they answered my emails and I got my non-o same day.

Went from LAX to the post office for a money order and on to the consulate to drop off the application. Dropped it off at 10:00, picked it up at 3:00.

EDIT: DC answers emails as well, I was going to try to use Atlanta (I was in TN) but Atlanta off was temporarily closed.

47 minutes ago, mogandave said:

finding some MD to do it in USA maybe is.

All immigration doctors in the US do it and every tiny village has one. You have to specifically request a physical exam without lab works. Otherwise they would think it is for USCIS and it is very extensive and costs more. Just tell the doctor that you need to get out of the country not get into the country. Your primary care physicians may also do it

In 2015 I applied for and received a non imm O-A from LA consulate. Drop off one day and pick up the next. I am a resident of CA and used their background check system and received the results with a few days. My family doctor filed out the medical form. $53

Total cost with Thai consulate fees, background checks, copies and notary, and medical statement was $381.

YMMV

The ultimate border run halfway around the world....round trip airline ticket costs....O-A Visa costs which requires police and medical clearances....possibly some hotel and rental car costs....hoping the consulate can do the Visa in same day or next day....etc....etc....etc.

Without being able to get an embassy income letter and if not willing/able to use the Bt800K deposit in a Thai bank extending a person's long term stay in Thailand sure has got onerous and expensive.

I'm sure some will say, "Well, I go back to the States every year anyway" trying to rationalize use of the half way around the world border run method, but for folks who infrequently return to the States or don't plan to ever return such a method probably rates a minus 1 on a scale from 1 to 10.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

The ultimate border run halfway around the world....round trip airline ticket costs....O-A Visa costs which requires police and medical clearances....possibly some hotel and rental car costs....hoping the consulate can do the Visa in same day or next day....etc....etc....etc.

Without being able to get an embassy income letter and if not willing/able to use the Bt800K deposit in a Thai bank extending a person's long term stay in Thailand sure has got onerous and expensive.

I'm sure some will say, "Well, I go back to the States every year anyway" trying to rationalize use of the half way around the world border run method, but for folks who infrequently return to the States or don't plan to ever return such a method probably rates a minus 1 on a scale from 1 to 10.

This is why everyone needs to tailor plans A,B & C to their individual needs.

At this point it we do not know that it will be significantly more difficult or costly.

All we know is that the consulate will no longer provide the letters. Everything beyond that is speculation.

• Like 1

This is from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website on O-A visas:

" A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission)."

But I still think that the O-A visa -- at least for me -- is a good 2nd choice if the 65K+ monthly income routine -- which for me would based on monthly FTT transfer -- doesn't pan out.

Edited by JLCrab

Personally I am crossing Thailand off my list. If I want to come back for a short time visit I will. Tourist visa only.

If you are an American citizen, and want to retire in a different country for better standard of living, and over all quality of life. Thailand is not the place to be IMO. 

It is filthy beyond belief.

It is not visa friendly.

Air quality is horrible several months of the year.

The scenery is not that good.

Too many tourists, it is out of control IMO.

Way too many negatives to consider Thailand for  a place to spend your money, or time here.

I say let them have the place to themselves. 

If you didn't come here and start a family, buy into property, then head out. 

Just chalk it up as an adventure, smile and leave.

10 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

This is why everyone needs to tailor plans A,B & C to their individual needs.

Yea...and I would make the half way around the world border run method as Plan Z as it's just a tough and expensive method unless you really do visit the States every year due to other reasons....and your visit location is like next door to one of the Thai consulates and getting your police & medical clearance are truly a piece of cake....and you are sure one of Murphy's Laws will never impact you although we all know Sh&t Happens.

• Like 1

Just now, mogandave said:

Well I think it safe to say that you will not be needing to verify your income.

Yep, I have gone back and forth trying to think of a reason to stay.

Just too many negatives. To consider Thailand as a second home.

My visa is up in March, and I have decided not to re-new it. 

I will go to a friendlier country that caters to expats,  for my second home.

Regards

Yea...and I would make the half way around the world border run method as Plan Z as it's just a tough and expensive method unless you really do visit the States every year due to other reasons....and your visit location is like next door to one of the Thai consulates and getting your police & medical clearance are truly a piece of cake....and you are sure one of Murphy's Laws will never impact you although we all know Sh&t Happens.

You would only have to go every other year, and the consulate is 20 minutes from LAX which is is pretty easy to work in as a layover anywhere in the states you want to visit.

I visit the Los Angels several times a year, but I will probably use the 400k method once my non-o runs out next Sept

Yep, I have gone back and forth trying to think of a reason to stay.
Just too many negatives. To consider Thailand as a second home.
My visa is up in March, and I have decided not to re-new it. 
I will go to a friendlier country that caters to expats,  for my second home.

Regards

So what do you think will be your next stop?

15 minutes ago, Pib said:

People who want to stay in Thailand need to open their eyes and see the big picture...

Its all visas in all classes they are making harder and harder to get...And from the looks of things its going to keep getting harder and harder.....So if your planning a long term future in Thailand,I sure hope your wealthy......

To add salt to a wound....The new visas they have come out with the O-X and the Smart visas are loaded with all kinds of bureaucratic requirements that make them pretty much useless...

They have already made life very very difficult for any one under 50 to stay here.....

(I was lucky to be able to live off back to back tourist visas when I was under 50....But let me tell you it was not cheap or fun making dozens visa runs to Lao and getting all the extensions for years....Not for Slackers..)

No visa seems to be safe except for maybe the elite visa..

I hope things change for the better soon I really do but I am not holding my breath...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, garyk said:

Dave, I have been traveling to Mexico and Colombia the last couple of years, and I really like it better than Thailand.

I hate talking about money, but if you have the funds Mexico is a wonderful place.

The countries are huge, and you are free to travel at will. I love that. 

The visa's are so expat friendly, a huge plus for me as i get older.

Medical care is first class.

Of course only my personal opinion, everyone is different.

Regards

Good luck with that.

Both Hepatitis filth holes.

Keep us updated about how wonderful they are....

42 minutes ago, JimGant said:

why not

Because I spend the 65K+ baht every month.

I have a pretty good feeling but no certainty that the monthly 65K+ FTT passbook entry is going to work for an income extension as on the current Police Order.

Will they accept as proof of income my monthly royalty statement from my share of interest in a sapphire mine on Madagascar? Probably not.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Good luck with that.

Both Hepatitis filth holes.

Keep us updated about how wonderful they are....

Where are you traveling too in Mexico and S.A.?

Personally I have found just the opposite.

Edited by garyk

Dave, I have been traveling to Mexico and Colombia the last couple of years, and I really like it better than Thailand.

I hate talking about money, but if you have the funds Mexico is a wonderful place.

The countries are huge, and you are free to travel at will. I love that. 
The visa's are so expat friendly, a huge plus for me as i get older.
Medical care is first class.

Of course only my personal opinion, everyone is different.

Regards

Where in Mexico? Been a number of places over years, but never thought I like living their. Used to fish the Baja quite a bit.

My wife is Thai and I don’t imagine she’d like it there and I have a boy in HS that makes it tough.

I like the US, had I not been transferred to Thailand for work I never would have lived here.