Best Free Antivirus

lungbing

I've been using Avast for a while now but recently the CPU useage has gone sky high and literally stops the computer dead for 30 seconds periodically.

I uninstalled it with their own tool in safe mode and downloaded Bitdefender, but that wouldn't load although it loaded one component

that appears useless and is not the antivirus part.

So Kaspersky is next and  appears to be doing the job, although is has flagged a couple of Thai Visa pages before I told it they were OK.

If that doesn't suite me, although it seems OK so far,  are there any recommendations?  I only want the basic antivirus, no bells or whistles.

2 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

I like Avira but it has comparability problems with programmes like malwarebytes.

Perhaps that's why I increasingly but suddenly get a seris of one baht size white circles up and down the left side of my scree, my mouse instantly goes to the bottom left corner then 7 or 8 documents, websites, file listings etc., dance all over my screen and increase and decrease in size, until I switch the notebook off. On restart seems to be all OK for a few hours or a few days. 

Suggestions please...

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Kaspersky Free is easy on resources, scores well in reviews; the Kaspersky AV without all the bloatware addons of the full Kaspersky Internet Security paid package.

Kaspersky is always a safe bet.

I use Kaspersky (paid, KIS) with malwarebyte (free) on top, they both run great together, only malwarebytes was able to detect and erase some "browser hijack" i had, KIS was totally blind.

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Perhaps that's why I increasingly but suddenly get a seris of one baht size white circles up and down the left side of my scree, my mouse instantly goes to the bottom left corner then 7 or 8 documents, websites, file listings etc., dance all over my screen and increase and decrease in size, until I switch the notebook off. On restart seems to be all OK for a few hours or a few days. 

Suggestions please...

Eeeeerrr seems like you got a virus or somebody's playing with your computer (trojan) ?

Did you try to install malwarebyte (free trial) and run a full scan ? If you can't or if it doesn't find anything try to do some "online" scans, here are some :

https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html

https://www.kaspersky.com/free-virus-scan

It's not really "online" since you need to download and install an app but it actually works (sometimes!).

29 minutes ago, petermik said:

Avoid kaspersky............free or otherwise :whistling:

As previously stated Windows Defender is as good,if not better,than most :thumbsup:

Why that ? Because it's a bad Russian communist software !? ????

I can understand a free version may not be as efficient as a paid one, but KIS (paid) has a good "long" reputation + high detection rate, but no AV is perfect.

I wouldn't use windows defender all alone, combined with an anti malware software and a good firewall (comodo) why not, all alone : no way

36 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

please don't anyone use any Norton products, many years ago I spent 4 hrs removing their software from a friend's computer. it's a nanny programme and takes over your computers resources.

Ahahah,

It's a miracle that Norton still exists today, after years and years and years of messing up with people's PCs.

19 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

please don't anyone use any Norton products, many years ago I spent 4 hrs removing their software from a friend's computer. it's a nanny programme and takes over your computers resources.

No it don't.....I've been using their product for many years.

Many times you can buy a license off Ebay at a fraction of the retail cost.  I've been doing that for years to renew my Norton Security (formerly known as Norton 360).  And the license is good for up to 10 devices (a.k.a.., has 10 seats per license...can load it on 10 devices).  I have it running on my three computer, I give a seat to my sister's computer in VA each year, and I run it on some of my Android devices.   The license is good for Windows and Android devices.   Works fine....has saved my butt a couple of times....problem free.  Your result may vary.

The best antivirus program is in the brain of the person sitting behind the keyboard. Use your brain when visiting sites and downloading stuff, clicking on suggested links and so on. 

I use fully updated windows 10, so that includes the windows defender. Ones a week I run malwarebytes free edition and / or superantispyware. My settings include not to accept third party cookies / popups. I can honestly say that I have never had anything happen to my laptops that couldn't be explained or was even remotely related to a virus. 

Maybe I have been lucky so far, but for sure I am careful.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 5:43 PM, marcusarelus said:

I bought Bitdefender last year and this year they asked me to renew so I started shopping and found it at a major discount.  I didn't know you could buy it at so much off retail.  And Bitdefender works fine for me.

+1

Bitdefender, 5 years, 1 PC, 10 GBP (13.58 USD)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...