The next bike...

Inexperienced rider here looking to upgrade.

I’ve been driving cars in Thailand for over 15 years, primarily in Bangkok, with visits all over Thailand - I’m fairly well versed in Thai traffic and the silly stuff. 

I’ve been riding a 155cc scooter around Bangkok for the past year and have found it extremely convenient and enjoyable.

I am now looking to ‘step up’ a little with a machine which is fairly city friendly but also ideal for a weekend trip away in a group. 

I’ve singled out the BMW G310GS, I’ve sat on it, it fits, I like it.

its a 313cc Cingle cylinder machine, good abs brembo brakes etc... nothing too powerful I think it’s 37hp.

I’m not used to gears on bikes having not ridden a geared bike for over 20 years. The dealership would be happy to give me lessons. 

Any advice & thoughts from the experienced hands? 

I'm still thinking of the bmw scooter...i really love the automatic gears and would never buy anything without it.

The problem with a 300cc is that you can't park it in the guarded parkinglot for big bikes since it has to be above 500cc....

My problem is that my new helmet don't fit in a scooter, i tried to new Forza but nope don't fit....(it's a jethelmet though)....

So í'm also searching for a new scooter now and still don't know what to buy but sure i need automatic gears...and not too big cause i like to cross in between cars.

• Like 1

How about a Honda NC750s ?Honda reliability/dealer back-up. No gears as DCT version is available and a good touring bike too.

It’s also got a’false’ tank’ that has a (Helmet) storage space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The lack of storage is an issue...

On my current scooter I’ve found it easy to nip out to the shops to grab groseries and carry them back under the seat, leaving the helmet under the seat is very convenient.

This lack of storage would be an inconvenience.

Regarding CC... I’d move up to bigger bikes if I felt the need. I don’t at the moment and would still use the G310GS around town - the 1200cc is a Goliath, no splitting the traffic on that.

The G310GS has wide handlebars which would impact the ability to split some of the tightest traffic, but having sat on it, it ‘seems’ like it would be ok splitting traffic. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Thian said:

The problem with a 300cc is that you can't park it in the guarded parkinglot for big bikes since it has to be above 500cc....

I never heard of that regulation. I park my 390cc regularly in the big bike parking, which is often 20B instead of 10B - I spend that extra money. ????

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have the KTM Duke 390, which is similar to the BMW you selected.

Great bike, lots of fun, but I wouldn't want to ride it for hours.

A one cylinder bike has vibrations. For a few kilometers and half an hour that's no problem.

But I remember my first trip to a place about 80km out of town. When I stopped the bike my hands were still vibrating - at least they felt like they were vibrating. Strange!

I wouldn't want to have that vibrating feeling for hours and this is why I would look for a multi cylinder bike for longer trips. 4 cylinders are for sure fine. I never had experience with a 2 cylinder bike.

In terms of power my bike has about 40HP and I think that's enough for trips if you don't drive fast. Acceleration up to 120km/h is pretty fast - and personally I don't need much more speed than that on Thai roads.

Great info... thanks.

I’ll have to consider the Single cylinder issue... 

At 229,000 baht if it’s a major issue the bike can just be sold on. I guess as you mentioned it’s a potential issue only noticed or a problem on longer rides. 

The reviews suggest surprisingly little vibration. 

Acceleration is 0-100kmh in 5-6 seconds... I have no want or need for more than that. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

How about a Honda NC750s ?Honda reliability/dealer back-up. No gears as DCT version is available and a good touring bike too.

It’s also got a’false’ tank’ that has a (Helmet) storage space.

My testicles were telling me to get a real bike... allbeit a little one!... 

But, they NC750s looks ok... I’ll look deeper into to.

The choice is also a vanity thing... 

I want a cool bike, decent brand etc.., 

I was looking at the Ducati Cafe Racer... but that would be silly...  unless I kept the scooter for the shops, a GS for trips & Ducati for fun!!!

(maybe something for after the divorce not something to instigate it!) 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I never heard of that regulation. I park my 390cc regularly in the big bike parking, which is often 20B instead of 10B - I spend that extra money. ????

In the malls they have a sign with only 500cc +...so i never tried it...20 baht is okay with me.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Great info... thanks.

I’ll have to consider the Single cylinder issue... 

At 229,000 baht if it’s a major issue the bike can just be sold on. I guess as you mentioned it’s a potential issue only noticed or a problem on longer rides. 

The reviews suggest surprisingly little vibration. 

Acceleration is 0-100kmh in 5-6 seconds... I have no want or need for more than that. 

The KTM has not much vibration and in the city with constantly changing RPM I don't mind - it's just a little and not annoying.

But on that "long" trip I had the bike new and had to make sure I don't rev it too much. So a big part of the trip was constantly 7,000 RPM or something like that. And with the constant RPM the always same vibrations are notable.

I won't use the bike for any long trips and once in a while I can live with an hour of vibrations. But if I would want to go regularly on long trips I would definitely chose another bike. The Duke is built for fun and maneuverability in the city - and it's great in the city.

I think another important factor if you go on trips is to make sure you have service available where you go. I am pretty sure the big Japanese brands are everywhere - but I am not so sure about "big" bike service. The BMW and the KTM are relative exotic in Thailand. Try to find service in Nakhon Nowhere...

And modern electronic is fine when everything works. But if there is a problem there are no screws on a carburetor anymore, the only option are service centers with specialized equipment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The KTM has not much vibration and in the city with constantly changing RPM I don't mind - it's just a little and not annoying.

But on that "long" trip I had the bike new and had to make sure I don't rev it too much. So a big part of the trip was constantly 7,000 RPM or something like that. And with the constant RPM the always same vibrations are notable.

I won't use the bike for any long trips and once in a while I can live with an hour of vibrations. But if I would want to go regularly on long trips I would definitely chose another bike. The Duke is built for fun and maneuverability in the city - and it's great in the city.

I think another important factor if you go on trips is to make sure you have service available where you go. I am pretty sure the big Japanese brands are everywhere - but I am not so sure about "big" bike service. The BMW and the KTM are relative exotic in Thailand. Try to find service in Nakhon Nowhere...

And modern electronic is fine when everything works. But if there is a problem there are no screws on a carburetor anymore, the only option are service centers with specialized equipment.

Do modern bikes break down?

I figured most kit is bullet proof these days. 

How much servicing is required on a weekend trip? I figured it’s just pack, ride & go (& come back!).. 

I wouldn’t expect Any modern bike to break down, but if it did my credit card gives me full recovery twice per year (I’ll have to check that this is not just for cars). 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How much servicing is required on a weekend trip? I figured it’s just pack, ride & go (& come back!).. 

I wouldn’t expect Any modern bike to break down, but if it did my credit card gives me full recovery twice per year (I’ll have to check that this is not just for cars). 

Just one example from a forum: The bike can't be started anymore. And now?

The problem was a dirty switch at the side stand which didn't allow the bike to be started while the side stand was down.

It wasn't down, but the switch was dirty and the bike computer "thought" the side stand is down.

It might not happen often, I don't know. But if something strange happens it's good if you have some experts nearby who know where to look.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poanoi said:

cubic is king IMHO, you wont regret buying a 1300 if you got the economy for it, tis a bit odd first week tho when it feels like the bike is riding You

May as well have a Polaris Slingshot..

On that point I’m looking forwards to the production of the Honda Neowing.... 

None work in the city though..., the G310GS, and 390 Duke for that matter, may... 

Edited by richard_smith237

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I had to look up that Polaris Slingshot, looks like fun.

It seems you have a small bike which works fine in the city. No physically big bike will be perfect for the city.

I guess it's best if you keep the small bike for every day traffic in the city and have another bike which is good for touring.

It seems lots of riders have more than one bike because there is no perfect bike which is nimble in heavy traffic in the city and at the same time comfortable on long trips.

Indeed... that seems to be the developing thought process....

A scooter for town.... 

Something larger for trips.... 

For the moment the idea is to hedge my bets and go with something I can use in the city and take outside a few times a year...

The switch to a 1MB BMW GS seems extreme for a fanciful week trip to Mae Sot & area once per year...   but a smaller ‘something’ may also be ideal in the city and work on a trip or two.

I plan on offloading the Tricity, but, may keep it just in case the step up to 300cc is a disaster and the compromise between both worlds is unattainable, in which case offloading the G310GS and going bigger makes sense, but by which point I’ve made use of a good learner bike to get familiar with gears etc... (it’s been more than 20 years since I rode geared bikes (200cc scramblers) and it was only messing around in fields over jumps etc) 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just one example from a forum: The bike can't be started anymore. And now?

The problem was a dirty switch at the side stand which didn't allow the bike to be started while the side stand was down.

It wasn't down, but the switch was dirty and the bike computer "thought" the side stand is down.

It might not happen often, I don't know. But if something strange happens it's good if you have some experts nearby who know where to look.

My bike was 1 year old and the lights stopped working, dust in the switch.

Later the engine stopped working, broken fuel pump...warranty and free pickup.

But the last thing a rooky driver should do is buying a ducati...and especially in BKK. My thai neighbour also bought one, now he's cripple and has brain damage from the accident.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If you like it, buy it. That's what I would do. Life is too short.

It is a good bike from a major brand, well engineered. More pricey than other bikes, but if price would be your biggest concern you would not think about that bike.

If you have a competent service garage in convenient (!) distance, there is nothing against it.

Of course, should you need to sell it, you will have to take a loss. But the brand name is well known to every single potential buyer in Thailand and attractive for quite a lot of these people.

I did consider it too but I do not spend enough time in Thailand to invest that sum into a bike which will not be used most of the time, so I will buy something cheaper and probably smaller.

• Like 1

How about this one.. 500 cc, lots of torque (excuses to forget shifting gears) available 2nd seat for a little Thai bum. 

The "Bollywood Vibrator" 

yes at 120 Km/h it shakes and you can feel the revs around 5000 rpm. Saddlebags matching the style are available. 

For 200.000 THB a bargain.. 

I would fix a bit the Muffler because 'loud pipes saving lifes' and its a bit of a duff duff duff duff...

At every tree an ignition is IMO fun pure.. 

Sorry for posting this picture again but that is what its all about.

finally your choice screaming 8000 rpm plastic for old style 5000 rpm and chrome.. 

Capture.PNG.6fa5047c6ee7febee9d63d1cd86fe285.PNG 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Any machine can break down. My bikes oil pump failed after 2 weeks (bike brand new BMW) and caused the motor to sieze. It took the dealership 6 weeks to import a new motor and replace it (Australia). That single mechanical issue was the only one I ever had.

I'm ready to buy a new bike here now as well and I was looking at the GS310, but I decided that its too small for me. I liked the frame size of the 310 but not enough power for longer runs and soft suspension. 

Also a lot of reviews have stated that the bike components on the 310 are lower spec than the bigger brother bikes (after all its a cheaper entry level bike). I would rather go the Honda 500cc for value, parts and servicability here.

Personally I have my sights set on the new 850GS Adventure bike, which I think is a great sized bike for here. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Sorry for his plight, but was that completely the fault of the bike he chose?

That guy is not a biker, he even can't cut his own lawn or do any labour himself...he had driven a Honda wave for a year in all his life and decided to buy that very big 1300? cc new model Ducati....he said he would drive 80 all the time to keep it safe.

But i heard he got an accident on the highway outside BKK, a pickup cut him off or drove into him and caused the accident as he said. Not the accident i would expect but a Ducati is built for racing and it takes a healthy strong man with much experience to drive. They are for the real motocy freaks...i also have a 127 hp big bike since decades and know how easy it is to bring myself in real danger with it, especially on crappy roads with loads of crappy drivers around (like in Thailand). Also it's too hot here to wear the leather suit...

• Like 2