The next bike...

8 hours ago, See Will said:

finally your choice screaming 8000 rpm plastic for old style 5000 rpm and chrome.. 

I had a VFR400 with constant screaming over 10,000 RPM and red line at 14,500. I loved that sound!

I also had carburetors so DIY repair was still possible - at least in theory.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Usually for the decision of which bike you should choose you would do a test ride. But if you don't have any experience it's difficult to tell from a test ride what you like or what you don't like.

I think even a short test ride or a test-sit makes sense. For some bikes the rider has to be relative tall. Best way is to at least sit on it...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You can obviously drive too fast with any bike, and the more power it has the easier it is to do this, has nothing to do with Ducati.

If you lay in a racing position, hear some great motorsound, have everbody looking at you at the stoplights it's easyier to hit the gashandle too much.....and that's the danger of a Ducati...and if you drive 80 on a Duc behind an old lady you look like an idiot.

A Benelli? Serious? I only know them from 30 years ago...have never seen a dealer in my whole life....For Thailand i would choose a Honda/Yamaha since they have dealers everywhere...How can you get new parts for a Benelli? After waiting 2 months i guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have the KTM Duke 390, which is similar to the BMW you selected.

Great bike, lots of fun, but I wouldn't want to ride it for hours.

A one cylinder bike has vibrations. For a few kilometers and half an hour that's no problem.

But I remember my first trip to a place about 80km out of town. When I stopped the bike my hands were still vibrating - at least they felt like they were vibrating. Strange!

I wouldn't want to have that vibrating feeling for hours and this is why I would look for a multi cylinder bike for longer trips. 4 cylinders are for sure fine. I never had experience with a 2 cylinder bike.

In terms of power my bike has about 40HP and I think that's enough for trips if you don't drive fast. Acceleration up to 120km/h is pretty fast - and personally I don't need much more speed than that on Thai roads.

It takes a real man to tour on a scooter, your ass does get use to it as well as a lot of baby power helps especially down south. My hands do become claws after a day of riding but they do eventually straighten out

• Haha 1

If you lay in a racing position, hear some great motorsound, have everbody looking at you at the stoplights it's easyier to hit the gashandle too much.....and that's the danger of a Ducati...and if you drive 80 on a Duc behind an old lady you look like an idiot.

A Benelli? Serious? I only know them from 30 years ago...have never seen a dealer in my whole life....For Thailand i would choose a Honda/Yamaha since they have dealers everywhere...How can you get new parts for a Benelli? After waiting 2 months i guess.

There are 2 dealers just in Ubon. Look closer please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The G310GS is a nice choice, though might be slightly difficult to easily get service and parts here in Thailand. 

Another option would be the Kawasaki Versys 300. Or the Yamaha MT03 for a twin cylinder option, though it's a naked bike. 

Its easy to spot Future Organ Donors in the Bike section. I enjoy being passed on the Moutains by a  fast Superbike, smart leathers, top AVG advert free helmet, then along comes Dumbo on one, dressed like Evil Knievel, with jet black visor in the rain. Dont they realize they just look  in Stupid.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Its easy to spot Future Organ Donors in the Bike section. I enjoy being passed on the Moutains by a  fast Superbike, smart leathers, top AVG advert free helmet, then along comes Dumbo on one, dressed like Evil Knievel, with jet black visor in the rain. Dont they realize they just look  in Stupid.

What looks stupid to you may look sexy and attractive to a young Thai woman.

I'm guessing they aren't trying to lure you into bed with them.

• Like 1

Talking of 'hansum man' attire.... 

What do you guys wear when out and about on your bikes?

In the City - on my scooter... 

- Shoei Neotec full face (Flip face) Helmet,

- Mesh Amoured Jacket 

- Protective Gloves

- Trainers (never flip flops)

On the 'next bike' - I'd perhaps also wear some Bike Trousers when traveling out of the city and some Ride Boots. 

Heat is the obvious issue - especially in the city. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I would recommend the OP have a look at the pre 700cc Japanese twins made by Yamaha & Suzuki.

Enough oomph not to be boring for more experienced riders, yet easy & safe for the less experienced noobs. Both just under 300k, both around 75 bhp, 45-50 Ibft torque, plenty of low-mid range power, enough top end for anybody in this country. Characterful engines, decent looking. Both absolutely bullet proof. Journos worldwide have raved about them for years.

Yamaha MT07.

Suzuki SV650.

No boring Hondas were harmed in this post....

Thanks for the suggestion - I took a liking the the Yamaha MT03 previously, but it was a bit small size wise, I like the MT07...   and with a degree of Irony also took a look at Hondas NC750X (DCT - Auto), which solves the 'storage' issue and is fully auto with its Dual Clutch Transmission...   It ticks the boxes... but... YAWN !!!! it even looks boring ! 

I've not seen one in the flesh or sat on it so I have no idea how large it really is and how well it would handle the traffic splitting issue. 

Its 364,000 baht, which after depreciation is a chunk of change to loose when I get bored of it in 6months !

I then looked at the Africa Twin which also has DCT, its 1000cc...   and costs 580,000 baht with DCT... but thats getting a bit big and perhaps a little silly when all I'm looking for is something a bit more than my 155cc Tricity, which works in town and would work on a trip or two... 

IF the BMW G310GS had the option of an Auto Box (like Honda's DCT or Aprilia's CVT) it would make it the ideal bike...  

Gears in the city have to be a bit of a pain?... Are they ?

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Talking of 'hansum man' attire.... 

What do you guys wear when out and about on your bikes?

In the City - on my scooter... 

- Shoei Neotec full face (Flip face) Helmet,

- Mesh Amoured Jacket 

- Protective Gloves

- Trainers (never flip flops)

On the 'next bike' - I'd perhaps also wear some Bike Trousers when traveling out of the city and some Ride Boots. 

Heat is the obvious issue - especially in the city. 

Shorts, t-shirt, flip flops and a helmet in the day when police are out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, moe666 said:

It takes a real man to tour on a scooter, your ass does get use to it as well as a lot of baby power helps especially down south. My hands do become claws after a day of riding but they do eventually straighten out

1. scooter tour through Vietnam, still hilarious and they made it. Take care none of your mates paints it pink while you are asleep.. 
  • Like 2

Versys 300, GS 310, Duke 390 and any of the 300 and 500 Hondas are perfect bikes for around town and the occasional trip. Stay away from Ducati if you prefer a life without headache. 

I think that the Versys 300 and the GS310 are the most versatile bikes. They are also the 2 largest bikes. In fact they are both fairly tall. Perfect for the farang.. 

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion - I took a liking the the Yamaha MT03 previously, but it was a bit small size wise, I like the MT07...   and with a degree of Irony also took a look at Hondas NC750X (DCT - Auto), which solves the 'storage' issue and is fully auto with its Dual Clutch Transmission...   It ticks the boxes... but... YAWN !!!! it even looks boring ! 

I've not seen one in the flesh or sat on it so I have no idea how large it really is and how well it would handle the traffic splitting issue. 

Its 364,000 baht, which after depreciation is a chunk of change to loose when I get bored of it in 6months !

I then looked at the Africa Twin which also has DCT, its 1000cc...   and costs 580,000 baht with DCT... but thats getting a bit big and perhaps a little silly when all I'm looking for is something a bit more than my 155cc Tricity, which works in town and would work on a trip or two... 

IF the BMW G310GS had the option of an Auto Box (like Honda's DCT or Aprilia's CVT) it would make it the ideal bike...  

Gears in the city have to be a bit of a pain?... Are they ?

I have A Nc750x 2018.

Seathight is 81 cm, i am 172 cm high. Perfect. God upright position with good view over the traffic.

easy to handle in slow handling/lansplitting. Cruise in 120 km/h nice. 400/500 km in one day no problem. But it is a commuter, not a African twin.

We’re pleased with my bike. Also nice to handle on gravel roads.

Boring for an inexperienced rider, I don’t think so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I find it interesting how some people write that even >=500cc bikes are good for the city.

Did you ever ride a small bike like a 125 or 150cc in the city?

If there is enough space and the traffic is moving then it's alright. But with standing traffic and narrow roads there is often just space enough for a really small bike. Sure, medium and big bikes get also better forward than cars but not as good as small bikes.

I have a Duke 390 which is for that class as nimble as possible (many tests and my own experience). Now I reduced the size of my handlebars to make it smaller. Yes, it's pretty good. But when I know it's real bad traffic like Friday afternoon in Sukhumvit then I take my 150cc Raider. That is small and I get through lots of places I wouldn't get through with any bigger bike...

Interesting thoughts which kind of mirror my concerns.

The handlebars on the G310GS are fairly wide - I think I'll split moving traffic with ease as I rarely position myself directly between two moving cars / vehicles but wait for them to 'stagger' and then slot through the them.

But when traffic is stationary and queued its fairly close together and the wing mirrors can impede passage... usually ok for a scooter but the extra Inch on either side may make a difference. 

I'm considering keeping the Yamaha TriCity for those times of day when the traffic is predictably tight. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rhys said:

Bike for BKK... Hmmm.. need to watch out for the other riders and issues... Stay in the 300 class...

Its the other bikes which I find to be most dangerous when riding in Bangkok. 

The pass extremely closely, almost brushing you as the pass, or sit in on your hind quarter (almost in your blind spot) so that if you want to maneuver around an obstacle (pot hole etc) it becomes difficult or risky...  I don't know why they do this... we'll I do... they just don't think. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nickymaster said:

Versys 300, GS 310, Duke 390 and any of the 300 and 500 Hondas are perfect bikes for around town and the occasional trip. Stay away from Ducati if you prefer a life without headache. 

I think that the Versys 300 and the GS310 are the most versatile bikes. They are also the 2 largest bikes. In fact they are both fairly tall. Perfect for the farang.. 

Yep.. the 'seat fit' is fine....  height seems fine (I'm 183cm) - feet both flat on the floor as I sit on the bike. 

I don't see a great deal of point in a test ride, I don't have enough experience to evaluate one bike over another. 

Besides... I never test drive cars either, I just see if the seat goes back far enough. I only ever find out minor issues after 1 or 2 months of ownership - the test drive only tells me how much 'grunt' it has which is usually published information anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

But when traffic is stationary and queued its fairly close together and the wing mirrors can impede passage... usually ok for a scooter but the extra Inch on either side may make a difference. 

I bought DoubleTake Enduro mirrors.

https://www.doubletakemirror.com/

They can be easily adjusted (flipped in and out) with one hand i.e. if there is a car mirror on collision course.

They are very sturdy, just like advertised. Not cheap but good to have.