map of where you live required for visa renewal

Good evening,

At HUA HIN, in 2017, it was the first time I had been asked to make a plan of my place of residence.
For this year, on a flying sheet, I made the main road with 2 famous department stores and 2 renowned hospitals, my street, its number and my name where I am supposed to live.
And every year, the service will have the same photocopy.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Manfredi said:

I have never been asked this for years.  have heard people other cities than Bangkok mentioning this but never in Bangkok immigration?

That seems very strange as Bangkok do ask for a map for extensions of stay.

• Confused 1

I have had to do this at Jomtien immigration for the last 2 years for visa extension renewal. The 1st time i printed off a google map and marked my house, not acceptable. They wanted a hand drawn map but wouldn't accept one drawn by my Thai wife, i drew one which was pretty crappy, they didn't even look at it but said that's ok

• Haha 1

I was at bkk immigration last week to obtain a new 12 month permission of stay based on retirement. In past few years have never been asked for lease or map.

This time the io wanted both. I happened to bring a "flyer" from condo office which had picture of condo and map on flip side. All good.

• Like 2

"anyone have been asked to draw the map of his residence location?  what is the purpose of asking of this while the address is in all documents?" - NO, NEVER has been asked this in the past 5 years at BKK immigration. Last time I was there was 2 weeks ago and wasn't asked at all and neither was the 120 in the queue before me.

3 hours ago, MARK74 said:

no i don't think they do, i assumed this thread was about retirement or marriage extensions

Why make that assumption based on none of that info provided by the OP? Why not make an assumption that it's based on an Ed Visa extensions instead? lol

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Well I was also at bkk immigration October 25. I was asked for map and she took it from me and added to the paperwork. Interesting you are fully aware of what the other 120 were asked for.

I never saw the people before me being asked to draw a map of where they live, and I had a decent clear view to the two immigration officer's desks as I was sitting on one of those seats in the waiting area in front of them. Never once saw them being asked or of them drawing maps. Just pay the 1,900 baht or being told to go away for not filling in the form correctly or small things like what's their phone number and signing every page of their photocopy documents or being asked to go back downstairs to photocopy a page they forgot to copy. Why would immigration waste even more time when there was a MASSIVE queue (biggest I've ever seen in 5 years) of people already waiting there at 10am in the morning? Unless they want to work until midnight processing the extension of stay while people were trying to figure out how to draw where their condo/apartment is located or where their hotel is located.

Edited by bbi1

39 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

No they don't.....Not at Chaeng Wattana.

Well I must of been on mars last week and not at chaeng wattana.

Fact is they DID ask for map and I provided one. I might add that I haven't been asked to provided except for first extension of stay based on retirement. 

My first post in this topic was to advise members what MAY be required. In my case it was required. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Well I must of been on mars last week and not at chaeng wattana.

Fact is they DID ask for map and I provided one. I might add that I haven't been asked to provided except for first extension of stay based on retirement. 

My first post in this topic was to advise members what MAY be required. In my case it was required. 

Well, maybe they asked it for you for a retirement visa this time. For me I've never been asked in 5 years of going to Chaeng Wattana starting of with ED visas for 2 years then tourist visas for the last 3 years. Not once have they asked for it for any of those extensions.

Edited by bbi1

I have made 15 extensions at Bangkok (Suan Plu and CW) and have always been required to provide a hand drawn map of my residence.

My first 14 extensions were all for the reason of Thai wife.

My last extension was completed at CW in September (last month) and I converted from Thai wife extension to retirement extension.

A hand drawn map was also required on my last extension application.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Well, maybe they asked it for you for a retirement visa this time. For me I've never been asked in 5 years of going to Chaeng Wattana starting of with ED visas for 2 years then tourist visas for the last 3 years. Not once have they asked for it for any of those extensions.

Well of course they haven't, you are a tourist! Tourist visas would not require it as they are not classed as living here, those extending permission to stay for a year based on marriage or retirement do need to provide a map showing the location of their residence.

Edited by MARK74
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Why make that assumption based on none of that info provided by the OP? Why not make an assumption that it's based on an Ed Visa extensions instead? lol

"Anyone have been asked to draw the map of his residence location?  what is the purpose of asking of this while the address is in all documents?"

I assumed the obvious according to the above

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

"Anyone have been asked to draw the map of his residence location?  what is the purpose of asking of this while the address is in all documents?"

I assumed the obvious according to the above

Its just to show how friendly Thailand is to its Ex-pat community.

Also to reconfirm,  there love and devotion to there Guests. :bah:

Edited by stanleycoin

15 hours ago, Rhys said:

YES.. and the bloody  ID yets... wanted the GPS cooridinates as well.. 

They should change the various TM docs and make a field for entering a GPS coordinate next to the address field instead of asking for a bloody separate map.  This is the 21st Century and I'm pretty sure every BIB and IO have a smartphone that will support Google Maps.  Just think of all the paper that will be saved.  It would be a boon for the environment - less trees cut down; less land-fill waste.

16 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Its just to show how friendly Thailand is to its Ex-pat community.

Also to reconfirm,  there love and devotion to there Guests. :bah:

LOL, I assumed it just makes it easier for the IO's to find you when they do their visit