U.S. Senate panel examines former Trump aide Bannon's campaign role: sources

webfact

U.S. Senate panel examines former Trump aide Bannon's campaign role: sources

By Mark Hosenball

2018-10-31T195702Z_1_LYNXNPEE9U1QR_RTROPTP_4_ITALY-ATREJU-BANNON.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Former White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon holds a news conference in Rome, Italy September 22, 2018. REUTERS/Alessandro Bianch

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee is pursuing a wide-ranging examination of former White House adviser Steve Bannon's activities during the 2016 presidential campaign, three sources familiar with the inquiry told Reuters.

The committee is looking into what Bannon might know about any contacts during the campaign between Moscow and two advisers to the campaign, George Papadopoulos and Carter Page, they said.

William Burck, a lawyer for Bannon, told Reuters: "The Senate Intelligence Committee has expressed an interest in interviewing Mr. Bannon as a witness, just as they have many other people involved in the Trump Campaign. But the Committee has never suggested that he’s under investigation himself and to claim otherwise is recklessly false."

Papadopoulos, a consultant, initially advised the presidential campaign of Republican hopeful Ben Carson before joining the Trump campaign. Page is also a consultant, who had business contacts in Russia.

On Sept. 7, Papadopoulos was sentenced to 14 days in prison. He had pleaded guilty last year to lying to FBI agents about the timing and significance of his contacts with Russians, including a professor who told him the Russians had "dirt" on Trump's Democratic presidential rival, Hillary Clinton.

No charges have been filed against Page.

The panel also will examine Bannon's role with Cambridge Analytica, a former data analysis company that the Trump campaign hired to help identify and target messages to potentially sympathetic voters, the sources said.

The Senate committee is working with Bannon's advisers to set a date for him to be interviewed by staff investigators in late November, two of the sources said.

Bannon recently met for the second time with investigators working for Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating allegations of Russian interference on Trump's behalf in the 2016 presidential election, one of the sources said.

Russia has denied interfering in the election and Trump denies any collusion, frequently describing the Mueller investigation as a political witch hunt.

The Washington Post reported on Tuesday that Bannon was questioned last week by Mueller's team. The newspaper said the interview focused on Trump supporter Roger Stone. In emails to Reuters, Stone has said he did not know about or have access to WikiLeaks materials related to Democrats.

In the run-up to the 2016 election, WikiLeaks published hundreds of emails hacked from the Democratic Party and the personal account of top Hillary Clinton campaign adviser John Podesta.

One of the sources familiar with the Bannon-related Senate panel investigations said Mueller's team does not consider Bannon to be a potential subject of their investigation.

Bannon served as a vice president of Cambridge Analytica from June 2014 to August 2016, at which point he joined Trump's presidential campaign as a senior strategist.

Sources said the Senate Intelligence committee has sought to interview other witnesses about the role played by Cambridge Analytica and affiliated companies in the 2016 election.

Earlier this year it was reported that Cambridge Analytica had collected the personal data of millions of people's Facebook profiles without their consent and used it for political purposes. Facebook later apologised to users for the data breach.

(Reporting by Mark Hosenball; Editing by Kevin Drawbaugh and David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-01

)I think mr Bannon will be singing soon if not allready the majority of people here think trump is possibly the worst president we have ever had for sure the worst in my lifetime (I was a wee lad)when Truman was in office so I’ve been around awhile 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

is anyone else sick to the back teeth listening to this shit, its been going on long enough

let Trump do his job as what is turning out to be one of the best Presidents the USA has had in a very long time.

and pretty much the same applies to the remoaner club in the UK - we have heard enough - move on you are helping no one, we are leaving the EU and that is that, we love the people but we don't want to be part of power grab from Brussels - we can look after ourselves thankyou - and when called on in the past and in the future we will rescue you too if the need arises  

It seems as though it is only you with the problem.

I can suggest an easy solution for you.

Don't open threads that you don't think that you will like.

It will keep your blood pressure down and you will have less headaches too.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

is anyone else sick to the back teeth listening to this shit, its been going on long enough

let Trump do his job as what is turning out to be one of the best Presidents the USA has had in a very long time.

and pretty much the same applies to the remoaner club in the UK - we have heard enough - move on you are helping no one, we are leaving the EU and that is that, we love the people but we don't want to be part of power grab from Brussels - we can look after ourselves thankyou - and when called on in the past and in the future we will rescue you too if the need arises  

If you are sick of hearing about it now, you wait until Mueller files his reports (and indictments).

You are however correct to also refer to Brexit.

The crimes and criminals behind Trump also have a hand in Brexit.

Sit back and enjoy the show, it’s only just getting started.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It seems as though it is only you with the problem.

I can suggest an easy solution for you.

Don't open threads that you don't think that you will like.

It will keep your blood pressure down and you will have less headaches too.

so in your simplistic existence you can shut out all global media by not reading one topic on one forum - really ?

you do have electricity - right ? 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If you are sick of hearing about it now, you wait until Mueller files his reports (and indictments).

You are however correct to also refer to Brexit.

The crimes and criminals behind Trump also have a hand in Brexit.

Sit back and enjoy the show, it’s only just getting started.

oh dear

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, smedly said:

so in your simplistic existence you can shut out all global media by not reading one topic on one forum - really ?

you do have electricity - right ? 

Electricity?

Of course (though there are times when i have to beat the slaves to make them pedal faster).

I also have the free will to ignore posts that I don't think would be of interest to me.

There are millions of threads on the internet daily but not enough hours in the day to read them all so I select the ones that I am interested in and ignore the rest.

See how simple it is?

13 hours ago, smedly said:

Things are not looking good for you, smedley. The man-child is the worst president in US history by a wide margin and you Brits (if you indeed leave the EU) will come shuffling back with a sheepish look on your faces begging to be let back in after a few years when you realize the great trade deals you got with Madagascar and Peru won't make up for the lost trade with the EU.

But look on the bright side. You will by then probably have lost so much money you'll be eligible for some handouts from the EU!

Edited by Becker
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

This will amount to nothing like Al the other enquires.

Need to look at HRC for some real felonious behavior. Mail server, Clinton Foundation.

The FBI already did that. Do you have better resources than they do?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Of course he has. He's got the alt right websites, you know like the one that found out about Pizzagate and all the other stuff the evil liberal media suppresses. :crazy:.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No they quashed the investigation internally. HRC clearly destroyed evidence and is not being prosecuted for it.

There were 2-3 FBI agents also acting illegally against the administration.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Becker said:

Of course he has. He's got the alt right websites, you know like the one that found out about Pizzagate and all the other stuff the evil liberal media suppresses. :crazy:.

I'm no fan of either quite honestly but I've hated HRC since forever and Trump only since he took office.

I read both sides actually. Most conservative is David Stockman, Burning Platform and American Conservative. But I enjoy the Atlantic and small doses of NYT,  Verge, Vice. McClatchy, Stratfor...

Really very open minded person too bad you aren't

9 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Obviously tainted Republicans as part of a Republican deep state.

Gets boring doesn't it?

The agent was terminated. As someone who lived and worked in DC, this is not a kneejerk thing. It works it way thru the machine. You have to try to get fired as a federal employee.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Strozk was fired mid August. That is an absolute fact.

Edited by ozmeldo

On 11/1/2018 at 5:35 AM, webfact said:

Bannon served as a vice president of Cambridge Analytica from June 2014 to August 2016, at which point he joined Trump's presidential campaign as a senior strategist.

After which point in October 4, 2016 :

Roger Stone was in communication with Steve Bannon about upcoming WikiLeaks disclosures about an October Surprise and had promised additional Clinton-related leaks. It was on October 7th that WikiLeaks unveiled Podesta's hacked email.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/01/politics/roger-stone-steve-bannon-emails-wikileaks/index.html

The FBI has interviewed Bannon several times, no doubt gathering information about Stone's self-alleged, then denied WikiLeaks connections. Roger may be getting a November Surprise and it won't be a Thanksgiving dinner.

11 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

The agent was terminated. As someone who lived and worked in DC, this is not a kneejerk thing. It works it way thru the machine. You have to try to get fired as a federal employee.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Strozk was fired mid August. That is an absolute fact.

Still Boring.

1 hour ago, ozmeldo said:

I'm no fan of either quite honestly but I've hated HRC since forever and Trump only since he took office.

I read both sides actually. Most conservative is David Stockman, Burning Platform and American Conservative. But I enjoy the Atlantic and small doses of NYT,  Verge, Vice. McClatchy, Stratfor...

Really very open minded person too bad you aren't

If you say so yourself...

• Haha 1