History of Thailand Immigration? Old-timers please

The last few weeks there's been a  bunch of discussion  on TVF about immigration (Retirement permission to stay etc.) and it's corresponding requirements.

From memory I wonder if any of you old-timers can tell us about the history of things like the 3 month 800K baht seasoning and  Certificate of Residency.    When did the bank letter start being a requirement for instance?

Any recollection when the requirement for a mountain of photocopies began?   I'm guessing it was around the time printers became as cheep as chips.

My Google search on this topic came up empty with only information about current conditions.

What can you tell us about how it used to be in Thailand regarding  Immigration?

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Only been doing 18 years but copies and bank letters have always been required.

Thanks all.

lopburi3 it helps to put things in perspective when you add a time frame as in 18 years.

Much appreciated.   Any recollection of the 800K requirement or Certificate of Residency?

38 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

There was no requirement to do 90 day reporting,but I believe

it was a law,they did not seem so paranoid where you were and

what you were doing, but before leaving the country you had to 

do a tax report,which was a joke,as all they required was 200 or

300 THB,

regards worgeordie

Can you reference any kind of date worgeordie?

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Thanks all.

lopburi3 it helps to put things in perspective when you add a time frame as in 18 years.

Much appreciated.   Any recollection of the 800K requirement or Certificate of Residency?

Retirement was different lower sums depending on age (55/60).

There were no normal requirements for residency certificates and 90 day reporting only became common after 9/11 panic to keep track of people.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There were no normal requirements for residency certificates and 90 day reporting only became common after 9/11 panic to keep track of people.

I think the letter from the embassy was required when using the income option back then. Am I correct?

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I think the letter from the embassy was required when using the income option back then. Am I correct?

Still had to get the Embassy letter if using income and at times medical certificates were also required.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Thanks lop,

So is it fair to say in your recollection the serious changes happened as a result of the 9/11 event?     From that time on Thailand embarked on a "where are you" kind of approach?   Prior to that did  you move about freely without reporting to Immigration?

Do you have any  memories as to the amount of funds required to have  on deposit to retire in Thailand around the  year 2000  time?

Edited by watcharacters
a spelling error from typing.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Well I came here 30 years ago,and have been here ever since,things changed

little by little until what we have today,which can only be called paranoid,

is it necessary ?, I don't know ,all you have to do is follow the rules they

keep coming up with,expect a lot of Expats will be packing up and leaving

now the requirements for actually having the money in the bank.

regards worgeordie

Thank you again for your reply, worgeordie.   Please understand this thread is meant to be a reporting (history) of requirements  and changes  of immigration policy  to Thailand over the decades.     I hope no one posts any criticism whatsoever.

I look at this as being similar to the "old photos of Thailand" section of ThaiVisa.

Since a 'google search has a dearth of information about the history of immigration policies for Thailand, I hope this is an opportunity for those who have experienced it to add their memory to  it.   Dates as in year would be great  along with specific requirements.

Maybe this will be added to a Google search and those contributors will be read in a future search by others.

Can you think of anything to add  from your  memory,  worgeordie?

Anything to share from 30 years experience?

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thank you for your participation,  ubonjoe.

I'm hoping you have a lot of stored references in your memory  you can  share.

14 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I look at this as being similar to the "old photos of Thailand" section of ThaiVisa.

You are right watcharacters. My post was inappropriate and misplaced.

When I get the pics ready I'll post in the correct section.

Edited by owl sees all

2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I used to come get stamped in and stay as long as I felt like, just paid the overstay fine on the way out.

I’m sure it was only 200 baht a day though....may be wrong??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

When was that,  JaiLai?

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Are you saying in year 2000 a deposit of 800K ฿ was required in a Thai Bank  for a permission to stay extension?

No he was probably at the 600k baht level then. 

They raised it to 800k baht in 2003.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Are you saying in year 2000 a deposit of 800K ฿ was required in a Thai Bank  for a permission to stay extension?

Please explain.

For retirement 800k/65k or combo as now - age was reduced to 50 from previous 55/60 different requirements but those already using were allowed to continue.  Marriage also changed; with no provision to use old sums.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

You are right WW. My post was inappropriate and misplaced.

When I get the pics ready I'll post in the correct section.

I wouldn't say your post was misplaced but  I will look forward to the day you are able to contribute photos to the forum to share with others about  history regarding Thailand.     This is all about historical records.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Still had to get the Embassy letter if using income and at times medical certificates were also required.

Thanks Lop.

That confirms my memory of talking to people back in the late nineties about retirement extensions.

Just wish I could find a police order or something that started that requirement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No he was probably at the 600k baht level then. 

They raised it to 800k baht in 2003.

Thank you, ubonjoe.   Exactly the kind of thing  I was hoping to learn.     

We all can be certain the requirements to remain in Thailand have changed over the years and I'd for one like to know exactly how and what happened.  

Some members of this forum have posted they were here in the early 70's and some have even gone so far back as the 60's.

How have things changed as far as immigration requirements is what I'd love to know.

10 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Basically over the 27 years retirement/married , nothing worth a mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm sorry you're unable to contribute at this time, HAKAPALITA.      You must have a wealth of experience and memories but  choose to remain   ?    Too bad..

I'd like to hear what you have to say about how your "permission to stay" process  in Thailand has changed over the last 27 years.

I look forward to hearing  back from you.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks Lop.

That confirms my memory of talking to people back in the late nineties about retirement extensions.

Just wish I could find a police order or something that started that requirement.

Don't believe there was any as it caught me out for the medical - believe first extension after a change from married to retirement and next year had it and not required - that was also messy as they required wife to attend under the claim Thailand was a joint property state so wife must know everything husband does (was doing for wife who gets car sick).

As mentioned there used to be a tax form - and immigration departure card had notice of it many years after it stopped being required.  Believe that ended in early or mid 90's

As for travel/reporting there was nothing required - larger hotels would report but most did not bother.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Some members of this forum have posted they were here in the early 70's and some have even gone so far back as the 60's.

Probably not on retirement extensions however.  ????

I was here in 68 and there are many others that go back further, but most of us were temporary at that time.