History of Thailand Immigration? Old-timers please

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I cannot remember what I did last week,so no help at all,sorry

regards Worgeordie

I understand what your saying,  Worgeordie.      I have some memory issues as well.     But  there is a difference at times for some of us between long term and short term memory.    I forget  what or even if I ate breakfast some times.   But I can speak  about with a fair degree of certainty  events that happened decades ago.

Maybe you'll wake up in two or three days and remember something about immigration.     If that happens members of this forum and especially me would appreciate if you would post it on this thread as a part of history.   Whatever comes to your mind would be highly welcomed.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

I remember when nobody went to immigration.

Your passport just went on holiday in Malaysia once per month.

Again, PoorSucker, can you put a date on that time?    Do you remember any  immigration requirements whatsoever?

You left the country each 30 days to renew a 30 day visa?

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Just as an aside- hardly anyone came to Thailand to retire  before the 70s and  the only foreigners  one saw were military  on leave for  7 -15 days. 

Actually the US Military had six very active airbases in Thailand as well as other units throughout the country.  Yes there were a lot of on leave from Vietnam in Bangkok but there were a lot living PCS upcountry also.

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

1971-  entry was 15 days max for Americans and UK Citizens-  If one wanted to extend and stay in Thailand- a $1,000 Bond was required to be placed in a Thai Bank- No Embassy Involvement.

As I recall Embassy could issue a letter to allow longer stay for official travelers (recall doing so a few times) without the need for any bond (or they put it up).  But yes only 15 day stay was normal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I used to come get stamped in and stay as long as I felt like, just paid the overstay fine on the way out.
I’m sure it was only 200 baht a day though....may be wrong??

I worked offshore Thailand quite a lot throughout the eighties and into the nineties we just used to pay the overstay fee, the company would have the money ready for you to pay fine at immigration, quite acceptable back then and in fact welcomed.

Believe you are correct with the 200 Baht a day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Well I came here 30 years ago,and have been here ever since,things changed

little by little until what we have today,which can only be called paranoid,

is it necessary ?, I don't know ,all you have to do is follow the rules they

keep coming up with,expect a lot of Expats will be packing up and leaving

now the requirements for actually having the money in the bank.

regards worgeordie

Six or seven years ago, The Aussie $ was getting around 28 - 30 baht and with a little bit of savings, + my pension, 800K was just reached.

Now the exchange rate is a miserly 21 - 22 baht, and it's quitting time!!

As Australia is a fairly properous country with a good export market, it puzzles me that the exchange rate is so poor nowadays.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, masuk said:

As Australia is a fairly properous country with a good export market, it puzzles me that the exchange rate is so poor nowadays.

Thailand keeps intervening in the currency market to keep it's currency from depreciating against all currencies.  Interesting that they do this because Thailand has a robust  export market.  The proof of this is that Thailand's foreign reserves have declined.  There was a recent article in one of the papers re this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

There was no requirement to do 90 day reporting,but I believe

it was a law,they did not seem so paranoid where you were and

what you were doing, but before leaving the country you had to 

do a tax report,which was a joke,as all they required was 200 or

300 THB,

regards worgeordie

I've been here 13 years and there has always been a requirement to report my address every 90 days since I last entered the country

( at Jomtien).

Alan

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fifelad55 said:

I've been here 13 years and there has always been a requirement to report my address every 90 days since I last entered the country

( at Jomtien).

Alan

It is in the law but was not enforced here in Bangkok until after 9/11 (17 years ago) and to do you had to climb way upstairs in immigration and wait in tiny office - it appeared to be considered something they would rather not do but now had to do to keep everyone happy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

When was that,  JaiLai?

I want to say that was from about 97 thru till 2006/7 ish.....but i stand to be corrected.

I ( and many others ) never gave a 2nd thought to paying the fine, it was no issue at all, even for those with months / years overstays...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, delboy said:

I think the 200,000 baht requirement was increased to 400,000 about 1998.

I was raised to 250k baht at some time. It was increased to 400k baht in 2003 at the same time they raised the requirements for retirement.

• Like 1

35 years ago nobody was worried about visas :The were handing out double entry non-immigrant visas like peanuts down in Penang. Back then just about everybody took the train down down to Butterworth, which was full of visa runners, with a quick stop in Hadyai/Songkla to get the required tax clearance certificate (in Songkla you were only charged a nominal fee of a 100 or 200 Baht, while in Bangkok they were really taxing you). All this until the only enlightened administration Thailand ever had, the Anand government scrapped this ridiculous requirement.

Except for occasional brief clampdowns on serial visa runners, it remained fairly easy to get visa till Thaksin changed it all. 

• Like 2

Was in Bangkok in 1963 on HMS Alert tied up right there on the river. I cannot remember us having to show a passport to anybody in any country, in fact we didn't even carry them when we went ashore. Never got hassled by the police anywhere that I can remember either. Good thread. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gamini said:

I came to Thailand in 1963. They gave most nationalities three months visa and it was easily renewable. Immigration officials were really nice. But so were the expats who were mostly well educated , cultured and well-behaved. Things started to change with the massive influx of tourists and would-be residents, many of whom were poorly educated, uncultured sexpats. Also there was a huge amount of criminals on the run and other undesirables pouring into the country.

I don't wish to sound elitist but what you say about expatriates is certainly true, though my experience is only from the early 1980's.I wouldn't say expatriates of that era were any better behaved but on the whole they were of a different type and often had decent jobs with all the extras in multinational companies.There were very few sex tourists in the expatriate community though much licentious activity. That era has gone. You are right to mention mass tourism but equally important is that Thailand has become a much more prosperous and better-educated country, with different expatriate requirements.As to the British contingent in the past one would very often meet ex-public school upper middle-class types (and as frequently those attempting to pass as "gentlemen").That era has passed too.

• Like 1