History of Thailand Immigration? Old-timers please

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

8 years ago.

No need to leave the country, fixers went down to the border with hundreds of passport, you stayed home.

So corruption was up and running . 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, worgeordie said:

There was no requirement to do 90 day reporting,but I believe

it was a law,they did not seem so paranoid where you were and

what you were doing, but before leaving the country you had to 

do a tax report,which was a joke,as all they required was 200 or

300 THB,

regards worgeordie

The tax exemption had to be done when leaving Thailand after 90 days and was free.

Done them since 1976 until Prime Minister Anand made an end of it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, balo said:

So corruption was up and running . 

It was and still is.

I gave my passport to a "fixer" who send it to Hawai Thai Consulate which stamped a multiple non-immigrant visa in my passport and this got send back to Thailand.

Took about a week.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, JaiLai said:

I used to come get stamped in and stay as long as I felt like, just paid the overstay fine on the way out.

I’m sure it was only 200 baht a day though....may be wrong??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Wrong it was Baht 100- a day.

Sometimes I did the same until I got a warning from the Thai Consulate in Penang that if it happened again i would not get a visa.

This was end of 1970s

So i got to be a law abiding citizen.:cheesy::cheesy:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bandito said:

The tax exemption had to be done when leaving Thailand after 90 days and was free.

Done them since 1976 until Prime Minister Anand made an end of it.

It was not free, if you owed tax.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fifelad55 said:

I've been here 13 years and there has always been a requirement to report my address every 90 days since I last entered the country

( at Jomtien).

Alan

I am talking 25-30 years ago.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I was always charged 200-500 THB, maybe the officier

was keeping it for herself,who knows,who cares now.

regards Worgeordie

That is also my recollection. Some small but seemingly arbitrary amount of money had to be paid to make the problem go away, even for those with no income.

I think it may have been a case of pay this and you can go now or wait a few more hours in this crappy un-airconditioned room while we do a proper investigation. 

• Like 1

It was not that long ago, when doing extensions at Suan Plu, you had to wait for your file to be found.  When time got down to about 2 weeks they would bring files into main processing room and stack against the walls (many were as thick as Bangkok phone books so they took up a lot of space - you just hoped they could find yours).

I retired in 2005 at 60, apparently had I retired ten years earlier I would have been on the 200,000 deal now.
Considering that The Baht was devalued overnight in the 80s it isn’t surprising that increases were necessary.
I wonder if there is anybody who regrets fiddling and farting about with visa runs or agents now.
These ‘grandfather’ clauses must reveal the history of the income and cash requirement increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I retired in 2005 at 60, apparently had I retired ten years earlier I would have been on the 200,000 deal now.
Considering that The Baht was devalued overnight in the 80s it isn’t surprising that increases were necessary.
I wonder if there is anybody who regrets fiddling and farting about with visa runs or agents now.
These ‘grandfather’ clauses must reveal the history of the income and cash requirement increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would have loved to have known about extensions of stay - had no idea when moved here in 1992 and did the visa runs to Penang for many years.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 9:51 AM, worgeordie said:

There was no requirement to do 90 day reporting,but I believe

it was a law,they did not seem so paranoid where you were and

what you were doing, but before leaving the country you had to 

do a tax report,which was a joke,as all they required was 200 or

300 THB,

regards worgeordie

I was assigned to Thailand about 1985, for the first seven or 8 years I was on a WP, never heard of any reporting etc. Then I got PR, then no 90 days etc.

But there was a requirement to get a tax clearance certificate before you could exit the country.

Even to go to Singapore for the day for a meeting I had to go to a Gov't office (I forget where) with a bag full of documents to get the tax clearance, often took at least 2 hours waiting and often the officers would say 'I don't believe the income Baht numbers on your form' and some would up the number / double the number, no discussion possible, then you lined up to pay the tax number and get the clearance certificate.  And you had to attend personally to get the tax clearance. 

One of the positive things about PR is that there's no annual renewal, no 90 days reporting, no showing money in accounts etc. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Wow, what a great article.

First time I’ve read every post, as usual a few that aren’t genuine but all in all lots of good reading.

I can’t imagine how you guys can spend so long here. There would be a big percentage that go back home occasionally, what about the ones that haven’t been back home for decades, how do you do it? I love Thailand but I also love to get away regularly.

I’ve been living here for 16 years but working offshore, so most of the time here for a month and away for a month.

I have teenage children and always avoided the family/marriage visa, couldn’t bring myself to drag the kids out of school to sit with the odd balls (foreigners) at immigration.

I turned 50 a couple of years ago so now it’s a retirement visa / extension for me, what an ease.

I’m off to the rig in a couple of days, the internet is slow and the work is hectic so when I return I shall look forward to checking out the posts I miss out on whilst at work.

Cheers and well done watcharacters

57 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Wow, what a great article.

First time I’ve read every post, as usual a few that aren’t genuine but all in all lots of good reading.

I can’t imagine how you guys can spend so long here. There would be a big percentage that go back home occasionally, what about the ones that haven’t been back home for decades, how do you do it? I love Thailand but I also love to get away regularly.

I’ve been living here for 16 years but working offshore, so most of the time here for a month and away for a month.

I have teenage children and always avoided the family/marriage visa, couldn’t bring myself to drag the kids out of school to sit with the odd balls (foreigners) at immigration.

I turned 50 a couple of years ago so now it’s a retirement visa / extension for me, what an ease.

I’m off to the rig in a couple of days, the internet is slow and the work is hectic so when I return I shall look forward to checking out the posts I miss out on whilst at work.

Cheers and well done watcharacters

I have not been back to the UK since 2003. When i went home then i had planned to stay for 3 weeks and left after 1 week.

Proir to that i'd not been back since 99'

Note - i'm in and out of Thailand regurlary for work commitment