History of Thailand Immigration? Old-timers please

On 11/3/2018 at 7:59 PM, rickudon said:

Not really 'old times' but 10 years ago (2008) you could get a visa for Thailand in the uk from a consulate easily, didn't need any proof of funds, just sign a form saying you had enough to support yourself. And if under 50, triple entry tourist visas. This was a period when the GBP/Thai baht rate was at a high and the imminent recession in the UK saw a lot of people taking early retirement.

The internet was really opening information about Thailand up, and many of these retirees took a calculated guess that Thailand offered prospects of a really comfortable retirement. When i came in 2008, about half the British people i met had been here less than 3 years. 

Over the next few years quite a bit changed - more sex tourists rather than retirees, the friendliness of the locals, the exchange rate and the embassies/consulates racked up the requirements on the visas practically every year (first by imposing financial requirements on the longer term visas, the upping the limits, and also get rid of triple entry and then double entry tourist visas). The number of long term expats in Udon plateaued around then, and has remained pretty static, or only grown slowly since. The local sex industry, limited as it was, has been driven largely out of sight, and the sex tourists do not come here anymore.

Although the rules on extensions haven't changed during this time, certainly scrutiny at immigration and enforcement has increased. There has also been a tightening on the visa rules at Thai embassies and consulates in neighbouring countries so very few 'loopholes' left.  And now we have the embassy letters. 

Many applauded the crackdown on illegal workers, visas runners and over stays. But now one does wonder where it will end up? Who will speak for you when the rest have gone, one category at a time?

rick,    I'd call you a modern "old timer" but considering expats have been coming to Thailand for the past several decades, during your relatively shorter  time here, you've already seen  a host of changes.

12 minutes ago, delboy said:

I applied in the morning for the driving licence, and went to Chiang Mai to get the residence certificate.  I arrived back at the car registration centre in the afternoon and the licence was issued.  No driving test, my UK driving licence was sufficient.  Cost 1005 baht.  It's still accepted everywhere, but they are no longer issued, so if I ever lose it I would have to apply for a new 5 year one.  When I told my friend about it a day later, he went to the same office to apply, and was told, by the same person that had issued mine, that they don't issue lifetime licences to foreigners.

I am a foreigner, I was issued a lifetime car and m/cycle license many years back. Both licenses were paper based with photo pasted on, issued at the DLT, take them outside and a lady laminated them for 5 Baht each or similar. 

Also years back issue of lifetime licenses finished for both Thai and foreigners.

Two or three years back there was mention in the media that everybody (Thai and foreigners) who was holding the old paper based licenses had to convert them to plastic cards.

I went to the DLT in Bkk, a pleasant officer, excellent English quickly assured me that converting to plastic cards would not affect their lifetime validity. 

She took me to a booth where another officer checked my old paper licenses were genuine (1 minute) then she typed the information into a new format and she took my photo. Twenty minutes later I walked out with 2 new plastic licenses.

I just re-checked the wording on the back of both plastic cards, in Thai and in English it says 'Lifetime private car' and 'lifetime motorcycle'. 

Edited by scorecard

On 11/4/2018 at 12:03 AM, balo said:

200k , 250k, 400k and then 800k . 

Now its time to raise it I guess, 1.2 million baht next. 

balo, can you add anything regarding your experiences with immigration and its changes  over the years you've been in the country.

Many thanks.

From 1989, Laos was an option. One of my most interesting trips ever was visiting Laos through Nong Khai just after the country opened up to tourists. To say infrastructure was limited is a big understatement. There were officially three international phone lines for the whole country, but the two through Vietnam were permanently out of service. Only the single line through Thailand was working. Even in Vientiane, booking an international call took days. Most people who needed to make an overseas phone call crossed to Thailand to do it. There was a single traffic light in the entire country, and it was a tourist attraction for Lao visitors from up country. I was given a tour of the Vientiane polytechnic, the primary technical college in the whole country (there was no university). The highlight was their computer lab consisting of a motley collection of half a dozen, mostly old, donated PCs.

Cambodia was extremely dangerous, but theoretically possible for visa runs starting about 1993. You needed a Cambodian visa in advance. On arrival at Poipet, you needed to wake up Cambodian immigration to stamp your passport (paying a small fee). Most short term visitors just went in and out without any immigration formalities. Did I mention that Cambodia was dangerous at that time?

Love these old stories.

Way better than the plastic world we live in today.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 11/4/2018 at 9:36 AM, VYCM said:

Too right.

Back when I arrived (2002) the police would knock off at midnight and wouldn’t be back until 8am. I couldn’t believe it, my girlfriend would say don’t worry about your helmet it is after midnight – no police.

If you fell over because you were drunk the police would help you back on your bike (this is what encouraged the bad behaviour). Now the police take advantage of the expats, probably a good thing considering how many low life’s are here.

In traffic expats are first to jump on the horn and abuse someone, these people need to grow up, drive passively, if someone pulls out in front of you let them in. 

I'm embarrassed to be a foreigner sometimes when i see this immaturity.

If you've lived her a while, VYCM, can you recall any immigration changes you've experienced?

On 11/4/2018 at 11:31 AM, HAKAPALITA said:

I can remember when it was fun. Years ago there was always a German in front of you arguing they were right, a friendly Thai IO would fill in forms for me cause i thought they were printed by an idiot. You got a Coffee off them if you were early.

When was the last year you'd consider immigration fun?

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

I was assigned to Thailand about 1985, for the first seven or 8 years I was on a WP, never heard of any reporting etc. Then I got PR, then no 90 days etc.

But there was a requirement to get a tax clearance certificate before you could exit the country.

Even to go to Singapore for the day for a meeting I had to go to a Gov't office (I forget where) with a bag full of documents to get the tax clearance, often took at least 2 hours waiting and often the officers would say 'I don't believe the income Baht numbers on your form' and some would up the number / double the number, no discussion possible, then you lined up to pay the tax number and get the clearance certificate.  And you had to attend personally to get the tax clearance. 

One of the positive things about PR is that there's no annual renewal, no 90 days reporting, no showing money in accounts etc. 

I'm not sure what you mean  by PR?    Are you referring to Personal Recognizance?     I don't know how that applies to immigration.

16 hours ago, VYCM said:

Wow, what a great article.

First time I’ve read every post, as usual a few that aren’t genuine but all in all lots of good reading.

I can’t imagine how you guys can spend so long here. There would be a big percentage that go back home occasionally, what about the ones that haven’t been back home for decades, how do you do it? I love Thailand but I also love to get away regularly.

I’ve been living here for 16 years but working offshore, so most of the time here for a month and away for a month.

I have teenage children and always avoided the family/marriage visa, couldn’t bring myself to drag the kids out of school to sit with the odd balls (foreigners) at immigration.

I turned 50 a couple of years ago so now it’s a retirement visa / extension for me, what an ease.

I’m off to the rig in a couple of days, the internet is slow and the work is hectic so when I return I shall look forward to checking out the posts I miss out on whilst at work.

Cheers and well done watcharacters

In another 10 years you can think back about how Immigration "used to be".????

Good luck..

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Absolutely..

That annoyed me. Being asked to prove. Yes i have got enough should have been enough, and a reluctant flash of Bank Book to someone with nothing didnt seem right. like showing bread to a starving person.. Nieve of me,but thanks to Liars we have too.

• Like 1

27 years ago my first application for a 1 year visa because I was married was HELPED by showing that I had a tour manager job for a London company that paid well. Working here in the tour business then was no problem.

Now one people will say 'no way' to. In 1994 I applied for a 1 year extension to stay with my wife and I returned to the office every 4 weeks, 18 times waiting for it to be granted. After 72 weeks they called me into the Chiang Mai office and advised me that my application was 'too old' so was refused. I had to leave the country and get another 3 month visa.

Just an aside, in 1991 I was also refused marriage at Doi Saket, C Mai because my paperwork never said I loved her. I got married with same papers later that day in the city.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

1970 - I came in only US Military ID card, same as 72,73,74,75 - skip to 1980, they let me in on my Mil ID card but said I need a passport now - went to Embassy applied and passport was mailed to them I picked it up on my way out 2 months later (still have it, green passport) - had to 'donate' to the police school's soccer team  for uniforms- 2000 baht (20 baht to 1 $$)  almost a months pay - the US Embassy sent a Consular Officer with a 100 dollar bill and I had to sign an agreement to pay it back when I could.  I had a friend lived in Pattaya who came into Thailand in 1969 off a cargo ship, decided he had enough in 1992, had to go to Immigration Court - told his tale and the Judge just shook his head and said "Unbelievable"  fined him 4000 baht, the US Embassy issued him a travel passport, only had about 3 pages in it.......and off he went.  Why I remember shi'its like this is beyond me.

"Why I remember shi'its like this is beyond me."

Jogging the memory is good for the soul and for informing others about history.

Thanks for your informative post.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Was the old immigration in Pattaya on Soi 7 or Soi 8?

There was a price list for extensions and you walked in and paid for what you wanted.

Indefinite was not available but sort of remember getting up to 60 day extensions for a

counter fee.

Wouldn't it be great to have a photo of such a sign?

1 hour ago, delboy said:

When I told my friend about it a day later, he went to the same office to apply, and was told, by the same person that had issued mine, that they don't issue lifetime licences to foreigners.

Dont ya just love it?

????

Talking about "fluid" rules and regulations.   

1 hour ago, delboy said:

When I told my friend about it a day later, he went to the same office to apply, and was told, by the same person that had issued mine, that they don't issue lifetime licences to foreigners.

Sounds like this particular individual was in the habit of alternating the sides of the bed he got out of each day!

On 11/3/2018 at 12:17 PM, watcharacters said:

Are you saying in year 2000 a deposit of 800K ฿ was required in a Thai Bank  for a permission to stay extension?

Please explain.

It was about 15 years ago when the amount was raised to 800,000b give or take a year or so. ten years ago walk into chiang mai immigration any time during the day and you could get your business taken care of. 2 years later good luck with that, just too many people living here now

8 minutes ago, moe666 said:

It was about 15 years ago when the amount was raised to 800,000b give or take a year or so. ten years ago walk into chiang mai immigration any time during the day and you could get your business taken care of. 2 years later good luck with that, just too many people living here now

The world's become a smaller place now partly due to the information we can all read about on the internet.

You've experienced that in Chaing Mai, moe666.

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

If you've lived her a while, VYCM, can you recall any immigration changes you've experienced?

1. only significant change I can remember was the relocation of the Pattaya immigration office from Soi 8 to Jomtien.

2. paying the 500 baht departure tax at the airport, also the horrendous journey to Pattaya from DMK.

3. Police Roadblocks/Checkpoints (bikes) would only be pulling Thais over, foreigners were always waved through. I drove the car up to Nong Khai in 2001 and was pulled over, the Police officer nearly fell over when I wound down the window and saw a foreigner. I gave him my licence and he looked confused as to why i had a Thai licence.

4. the price of beer, you could buy 3 x large Chang/Leo for 100Baht from any small local shop.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You were required to get tax clearance from revenue department if you had any income or for any stay of more than 90 days.  You would not be allowed to depart the country without it - was notation 6 on the arrival/departure card and was still on my last card from entry in 2003.

The Tax Clearance Certificate or 'bai paan' was issued in Bangkok by the tax office on Ratchadamnoen Avenue that was burned down during the Black May riots (I think in 1992). It was required I recall for total stays of over 180 days per year. The requirement was rescinded just after the riots - maybe they just couldn't be bothered administering it anymore, or maybe that was the central office from which the whole scheme was managed.

Although I wasn't working legally at the time, I was nonetheless assessed and had to pay a small amount of tax to get the certificate. The staff there were very friendly, and the tax number that they gave me followed me around once I started working legally for many years afterwards.

Some things have become harder, other things easier.

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

I am a foreigner, I was issued a lifetime car and m/cycle license many years back. Both licenses were paper based with photo pasted on, issued at the DLT, take them outside and a lady laminated them for 5 Baht each or similar. 

Also years back issue of lifetime licenses finished for both Thai and foreigners.

Two or three years back there was mention in the media that everybody (Thai and foreigners) who was holding the old paper based licenses had to convert them to plastic cards.

I went to the DLT in Bkk, a pleasant officer, excellent English quickly assured me that converting to plastic cards would not affect their lifetime validity. 

She took me to a booth where another officer checked my old paper licenses were genuine (1 minute) then she typed the information into a new format and she took my photo. Twenty minutes later I walked out with 2 new plastic licenses.

I just re-checked the wording on the back of both plastic cards, in Thai and in English it says 'Lifetime private car' and 'lifetime motorcycle'. 

I did the same - my old paper licences had become de-laminated and the photos were falling off. The new plastic licences retained their lifetime validity. 

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

It was required I recall for total stays of over 180 days per year. The requirement was rescinded just after the riots

Believe that is correct it ended in early 90's but they never removed warning on old TM7 and it was 90 days in that warning:

6.  Alien entering Thailand and having income or alien staying over ninety days in Thailand without income must possess a tax clearance certificate from the revenue department before leaving Thailand.  If not, will not be permitted to leave.

I know in the early 2000's that a plane headed to I believe Penang crashed. At the crash site they found a whole bunch of passports from around the world that did not belong to any of the passengers. They came from Thai Agents to get stamped. After that things started to get a little tighter and more expensive to send your passport with out your person being present. 

Mid 80's??or Don Mueang ap was cleaned from illegal taxis after Japanese 2 honeymooners were killed and raped by two local thugs. I recall even "hotel taxis" didn't dare to take customers to ap for a while

1991 , I turned up at Don Mueang and the guy supposed to meet me never showed.

I had the factory address ( Bangkadi Ind Estate ) so accepted a ride from one of the many taxis touting for business.

I agreed on 600 baht as the fare, didn’t have a clue how far it was ( and company would reimburse), 200 would have been enough .

On arrival at the factory the plant manager got the armed security guard to send the taxi driver away with no payment !!

Turns out he wasn’t an official taxi and the factory had had some Japanese visitors who were robbed , stripped down to their shorts and left in the rice paddies from a “ taxi “ at DM !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, watcharacters said:

"Why I remember shi'its like this is beyond me."

Jogging the memory is good for the soul and for informing others about history.

Thanks for your informative post.

:wai: :wai: :wai:

9 hours ago, Geck0 said:

Mid 80's??or Don Mueang ap was cleaned from illegal taxis after Japanese 2 honeymooners were killed and raped by two local thugs. I recall even "hotel taxis" didn't dare to take customers to ap for a while

Actually in the 60-70 era the taxi at Don Muang were air force off-duty personal driving officers cars and it was a cat and mouse game getting into town as they did not have commercial plates and police would try to stop for fines.  Well remember one wild ride as driver ran check point and tried to outrun motorcycle.  Was expecting gunfire but police just got his DL after he stopped and driver would have to get back at station.  Seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary.