Thailand’s English proficiency is getting worse: study

rooster59

24 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Ever thought about, they don't want to mix with people who refuse to adept to the country they live in.

Thousands of hours? Not a quick learner then.

Have you ever thought about why Westerners in many other countries learn the local languages in higher percentages?

Japan has plenty of 'Gaijin' farang who speak Japanese. Taiwan and China, same. Korea, same but to smaller degree. 

Thais don't show any welcome or interest in westerners beyond superficiality. And, they tend to be boring as well.

So, there is NO INCENTIVE to waste time learning a tiny, insignificant tribal language with no use outside this tiny country. Learn a language just to learn how many nasty things Thais say about farang? Or learn Thai to talk only about food all day? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had the British seen fit to 'visit' all those years ago the Thai standards of English would have been on a par with Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, India etc etc . I wonder why the British decided not to 'visit'  !!?

• Like 2

I personally had met an English teacher for 20 years in the northern province but she just could not have the simplest decent conversation with me in English. I could not imagine what was taught to her students for the past 20 years!

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

Quite a few years ago, I helped a first year undergrad. in Engineering with her English from an engineering viewpoint, since engineering was my former profession. She wasn't at all interested initially and happily admitted that she wanted to learn Japanese so that she could read Japanese comics. As time progressed, she became much more enthusiastic as she realised that it was all USEFUL stuff. She ended up being very good in day-to-day conversation as well as engineering-related matters.

A few months ago, after she'd finished her Engineering Masters in USA, spent a few years employed as an engineer and met an American boyfriend - now husband - she sent me an e-mail saying something like "Thanks for teaching me English. You changed my life".

WOW!!! Was I pleased to receive that compliment!!!

I could never be an English teacher in a school here but helping her was an experience I wouldn't have missed for anything. 

There is an object lesson here: Thai students have to want to learn, and in order to want to learn they need to see the importance.  That is also a problem in Thai culture in that most Thais are not forward thinking, they can't seem to make goals well into the future and then delay gratification until they achieve those goals. So therefore, becoming proficient in English never becomes 'important' because proficiency is at the end of a timeline which they simply can not envision. Obviously your student did.  Good for her!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, robsamui said:

There are 18 people in the company I work for - five farangs and 13 Thais. The shortest time anyone has been with the company is four years. Six of the Thai staff have been with us more than 15 years. And yet every Christmas party, the Thais all separate out and sit in a group together, away from us farangs. I can only imagine this is instinctive and thus happens everywhere to a greater or lesser degree.

I would bet they would perk up a lot if someone was handing out bottles, let alone bonuses.

44 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Ever thought about, they don't want to mix with people who refuse to adept to the country they live in.

Thousands of hours? Not a quick learner then.

Farang.

Usually slow learners. 

Not that special.

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This can't come as a shock to anyone surely.

My son, who'd lived and gone to school in Singapore, speaks absolutely fluent English, and thanks to a fabulous elementary education in Singapore could read and write.

When he went to High School in Thailand, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I would read the 'corrections' the teacher would make in his English homework and it was past ludicrous. 

This was at a fairly good private school, so eventually I decided to complain.

The response I got was...."our pass rate is 100% so there's no problem" 

Therein lies the problem!

Singapore is rated in the Top Ten (I believe 3rd) as far as English proficiency in foreign countries.My guess is that because it was formerly a British territory, natives were exposed to the language more readily. I'm sure motivation  to learn a second language is another factor, but when you're exposed to more people that speak the language, it seems easier to adapt to such. On the other hand, I took 4 years of French in high school and even though I'm "fairly" proficient in the language I am not exposed to French-speaking people. Big difference when you're immersed in the language.

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Often I do not really understand all the focus on Thais and lack of command of English.

It is worth remembering that most people on the planet get by without speaking English.

Same applies to countries, the number of countries where English is not spoken is very very high,

and they get by.

My thought as well....unless you're employed in a job that requires at least some command of the English language, why is there so much emphasis on learning a language that you'll occasionally be exposed to?

Nigeria, Hongkong, India, Pakistan....

all moderate to low proficiency.

yet all those countries list English as their official language.

in that light Thailand is doing just fine.

anyway, proven, that negotiating submarines or slow trains can be done without English language. so what the fuss about really?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TMNH said:

Singapore is rated in the Top Ten (I believe 3rd) as far as English proficiency in foreign countries.My guess is that because it was formerly a British territory, natives were exposed to the language more readily. I'm sure motivation  to learn a second language is another factor, but when you're exposed to more people that speak the language, it seems easier to adapt to such. On the other hand, I took 4 years of French in high school and even though I'm "fairly" proficient in the language I am not exposed to French-speaking people. Big difference when you're immersed in the language.

When we lived in Singapore we actually did the Singapore thing of 'English First' so at home our primary language was English, but we still spoke all of the other languages. I speak and write mandarin so that helped, but English was the glue

My wife taught me Thai & Lao, as well as our son, but that was gonna happen organically, so everyone was fluent in all three.

I'm fluent in Spanish from birth, although I rarely use it now, but language is something in our DNA, you either get it or you don't

43 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Thais don't show any welcome or interest in westerners beyond superficiality. And, they tend to be boring as well.

So, there is NO INCENTIVE to waste time learning a tiny, insignificant tribal language with no use outside this tiny country. Learn a language just to learn how many nasty things Thais say about farang? Or learn Thai to talk only about food all day? 

Pretty racist, ill informed drivel.  

• Like 1

It truly as pathetic here. Compared to Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and even China (lived in all of these) their ability to read ,write or understand English is hopeless.

The only people I come across here (after many years) are those who are university educated AND involved in international business.

How otherwise can they communicate with Cambodians , Burmese, Vietnamese and Chinese?? Only in mutually speaking ENGLISH .

Even these "well educated" business people are pretty dreadful in both their spoken and written English. 

But as somebody commented,  if the teacher can't speak it or understand it. .what chance have the kids got?

A real hindrance in their commercial endeavours.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I was surprised that Myanmar is so low in the proficiency ratings. I always assumed that English was well spoken there. Perhaps it's just in larger cities?

Laos doesn't even get a mention, presumably not enough Laotians took the test to even register in the rankings.

What happened is in the mid 90s the government closed all the universities and many schools and the language died with the old folks.

Quite Orwellian really...

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Doesn't matter how many native English teachers you employ , if the students lack any real motivation you can't expect them to learn much.

Depending on the school and grade motivation csn be high. The teachers need to modernize everything tjry are doing. No need to reinvent the wheel, just borrow from other countries - but do it. It's not just English, all subjects need a total overhaul.

I would like to see similar stats on Chinese language proficiency; if that is improving then Thailand has nothing to worry about as the west is self-destructing anyway.

Preparing for the new masters is a much more sensible approach - teach kids Mandarin.

• Like 1