Wasted Trip To Laos

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I think the "2000 plus a hotel" in that post, refers to the 2000 Baht for a single-entry Non-O Visa, vs the 5000 Baht for the 1-Year ME variety. 

It does.  I forgot that not every embassy takes thai baht and that the fee can be in USD, MYR, etc.

17 hours ago, richiejom said:

I'm actually sure if the embassy had asked for the Kor Ror 22 I have on me that would have sufficed but I think the official obviously wasn't clued up on certificates from abroad or something... driver was in a rush so I didn't think to give him the Kor Ror as well...who knows but I don't everything I humanly can do besides spoon feeding them

You should have waited for the original certificate and then things would be different, ok if they were running late take it back and return the next day, or just wait overnight and it is solved. This is Thailand and although we all do our best to comply the response is not always what we expect, one of the things we have to endure i know how you feel, hopefully, you can get it sorted, best regards.pjk.

My sympathies to the OP.

While the OP can get another original copy of his British marriage registration, I would have thought that it is all the certifications that are problematic.

My Thai wife and I were married in Australia. We had to get our marriage registration certified by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs as being 'true and correct'. We then had to get it translated by an approved agency into Thai (which we did using an accredited agency). 

We were travelling around Australia at the time and the Sydney and Melbourne Thai consulates wouldn't accept the translation by an Australian nationally accredited agency (it has to be someone on their 'personal list', e.g. who would presumably pay a kick-back). However, the Thai embassy in Canberra accepted national accreditation and they stamped off on the translation.

Back in Thailand, the local council wouldn't register our marriage (I assume this is the Kor Kor 22?) because the stamp by the Thai embassy was in the wrong colour. My wife kicked up a stink and, in the end, they issued the document. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Can someone please explain what a kor ror 22 is and what the firm might look like? Thanks

It is a foreign marriage registry done at at an Amphoe. It needs to done if you were married outside the country.

This is what the top of one looks like unless they have changed it since 2008 when this one was issued.

image.png.c1be66fc40cde489015410f9c7ab0552.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gunghang said:

That is valuable intel. Air Asia fare to Saigon is comparable to the fare to Mukdahan, and would require one or two nights in a hotel instead of three.

What about the letter?  Does she write it in Thai and notarize it in Bangkok, write it in English in Saigon, etc.?, 

It depends where you live in Thailand; some may find it cheaper to travel to HCMC or Hanoi instead of Savannakhet.  Be aware that the NON O Multi visa is more expensive in Vietnam ($200 U.S) than Savannakhet (5000฿).  My wife accompanied me to HCMC earlier this year and wrote the invitation letter in Thai.

• Like 1

just spent 3 hole days in prachinburi to renue my non o based on marriage ended having to go to the bank 4 times everytime you got somthing and went back they would want somthing different, photo copy shop 7 times and that was after going and asking them a week early what they wanted also had to get a letter from berths, deaths,and marriage ofice to verifi our marrige cert then they came to our house and the next door neibore had to get 2 copys of here id card and right a letter to say that we live in our house seems to me everybody you talk to has a different story and every ofice has there own rules

• Like 2

The majority of agents are rubbish they don’t know what they are doing even translators are not up to it a few years back we had to have a BE letter translated into Thai in written form only to find out hours later that they had spelt my name wrong it was like a bloody merry go round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I have never heard of an Amphoe keeping the original marriage certificate. Where did you hear or read that.

Know it for fact, been to the local Amphoe.

They want the original with the original legalisation 'apostilles' attached.

They can give you a certified copy.

As with Immigration, perhaps it varies, I can only relate my experience.

As an aside, a good friend married in UK, same experience as above, but obtained a Non Imm O ME from Savannakhet last year with a certified copy from the Amphoe and a Kor Ror 22. (This year an extension).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

We were travelling around Australia at the time and the Sydney and Melbourne Thai consulates wouldn't accept the translation by an Australian nationally accredited agency (it has to be someone on their 'personal list', e.g. who would presumably pay a kick-back).

I used to get my multi 'O' marriage visa every year when I was in Melbourne. No problem, until the Aussie consul retired and a Thai took over. Then he threatened not to issue the visa when I questioned how getting my wife to fax over a letter confirming we were married could be verified as really from her (and he gave me the Sydney fax number instead of Melbourne by mistake!), and another time my photo was rejected as unsuitable and I was directed to a nearby pharmacy, run by Thais, to get new photos done. I had to queue behind two others and another followed me in for the same thing. Corrupt scum through and through, yet they are so proud of themselves as the 'master race'.

• Haha 1

"...they want the original marriage certificate which the Amphur in Bangkok insisted on keeping."

You believed them? 

Your Thai wife will have seen plenty of obviously original marriage certificates of family and friends, I very much doubt she would believe or accept "...the original marriage certificate which the Amphur in Bangkok insisted on keeping."

21 hours ago, richiejom said:

I'm actually sure if the embassy had asked for the Kor Ror 22 I have on me that would have sufficed but I think the official obviously wasn't clued up on certificates from abroad or something... driver was in a rush so I didn't think to give him the Kor Ror as well...who knows but I don't everything I humanly can do besides spoon feeding them

I think spoon feeding is essential when dealing with something slightly different to the Thai norm.  It can sometimes be difficult with Thai marriage paperwork, let alone foreign.  

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, richiejom said:

Bare in mind my visa already had the last stamp '60 extension based on marriage' ..how they couldn't put 2 and 2 together and ask me for the right document I don't know

If you have non O visa then you don't need to do visa run. You need to file a 1 yr stay visa based on marriage at the immigration before 3 months is up. They will give you 1 month extension before they approve your 1 yr stay visa, then they will either call you or give you an appointment to go back to them to get your 1 yr stay visa stamped on your passport. So you don't have to go out of country every 3 months. Actually you don't have to go out of country for years as long as you get your 1 yr marriage based stay visa at the immigration office before it expires.

I just got mine done today. But I don't know if they have different procedures for different country citizens. I am a US citizen and I know they have special rules or agreements with US government for US citizens like US citizens can own 100% of a company. And I got my non O visa from USA and it was for 1 yr, But I still had to do visa run before 3 months is up in order to keep 1 yr visa. I choose to apply for 1 yr stay visa since I didn't want to do visa run. As I said , I got it done just today.

8 minutes ago, richiejom said:

I gave then the stamped certified copies the Amphoe gave us...they didn't want to know...they wanted original

I still believe it was your failure to supply the original Kor Ror 22 which caused the certified copy to be refused.

The Kor Ror 22 provides evidence that since you registered your UK marriage at the Amphoe, according to their records you have never divorced and are therefore still legally married.

The moral of this story - If marrying a Thai, best to do it in Thailand if you intend living there as less issues in Thailand. Strange but never heard of a Thai marriage certificate not being accepted in the UK! (as long as you have a translation).