Thai driving now explained

seajae

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why don't you hire a private instructor?

Anybody who even looked at the traffic and driving "skills" here shouldn't be surprised about the useless driving license test.

I went to a driving school and told him i wanted some lessons on the roads.. paid for it and after that i felt ok to drive here in Thailand with the car. I already drove a motorbike but needed a bit more car experience as even in the Netherlands i did not often drive a car. I actually had not driven a car for many years 10 or so when i took the tests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Why ever are you sending her to a driving school? You say you have a car so why aren't you teaching her to drive yourself? I took 3 months to teach my kids to drive and both have become competent drivers both here and abroad.

she doesnt want to learn with me as she thinks I will be too hard, she says this way is easier for her. I cant force her but once she gets her licence I will not let her drive our car till she has driven me around for many hours so till I am confident she will be ok. In Australia I taught my other daughter to drive a manual and she was really good, got her licence first pop, will wait and see with this one

• Like 2

In 2015 I did a motorbike license from scratch at the DLT.

After this two day experience I am even more afraid of traffic in Thailand.

First day, people walking in, doing eye sight/reaction tests, listening to some tutoring/videos.

Next morning doing a multiple choice theory test on a computer.

In the afternoon circling on the yard ("traffic kindergarten") with the bike/scooter.

Biggest challenge being a 15 cm wide elevated concrete strip about 5 m long.

Driving over it without stopping or feet down.

Passed.

Now out to the street and learning by doing or crashing.

And yes, your daughter is overqualified after this school :biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bangsaenguy said:

Where would you find a driving instructor in Thailand? Hardly any Thai should even be allowed to drive

If you don't trust the Thais hire a foreigner.

This is not about an official instructor. It's about someone who knows how to drive and, more important, who is able to teach other people how to do this with patience.

Personally I would try to find a good Thai driver. Because such a driver knows very likely how typical Thais drive.

Here is one example: a road with three lanes all going in the same direction with a left and right bend. If you follow the official rules you have to stay in your lane. If you drive like typical Thai you just drive straight ahead and ignore the lines. I think this is what new drivers should learn. They should learn what they can expect from other drivers and how to best manage such situations.

I.e. I drive in situation like that never in the middle lane to avoid trouble.

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Anybody who even looked at the traffic and driving "skills" here shouldn't be surprised about the useless driving license test.

I would agree if your suggestion is for another country but you are talking about Thailand where the private instructor most likely comes from the same system the reason the government hasn't been able to curb the problem since none of the suggestion from outside has been taken except for the money.

The ops better off taking the initiative and teaching her what he knows better than anything a school or instructor can offer.

Edited by thailand49

My gf said she had owned a driving license and a car a few years ago but was afraid she had forgotten how to drive !

So, we went out to a quiet area ( new housing estate under construction ) and I let her take the wheel.

My conclusion is that she was lying or has very little ( or none at all ) experience.

So, am teaching her to drive !

Could take a while !!

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I would agree if your suggestion is for another country but you are talking about Thailand where the private instructor most likely comes from the same system the reason the government hasn't been able to curb the problem since none of the suggestion from outside has been taken except for the money.

The ops better off taking the initiative and teaching her what he knows better than anything a school or instructor can offer.

I didn't have an official instructor in mind. Just someone who knows how to drive, who knows what to expect from other drivers in Thailand, and who can teach this.

It seems family members, boyfriends, etc. are often not the best teachers - all over the world.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:22 AM, PatOngo said:

Why ever are you sending her to a driving school? You say you have a car so why aren't you teaching her to drive yourself? I took 3 months to teach my kids to drive and both have become competent drivers both here and abroad.

I agree. He needs to get off his lazy butt and put in some personal effort instead of complaining how poorly driving schools are. Instead of paying someone else to do the job you yourself are qualified to do. Put your money back in your pocket and don’t be so lazy.

It’s a long time ago but, I remember my father teaching me . He told not to bother with first gear.  I wondered why he burnt out so many clutches over his 80 years ! 

• Haha 1

Lol ... Learning to anticipate and act accordingly is the key...

I got my THAI car & Bike licence.. 

i loved the important info on Alcohol ... “ must not drive soon after drinking” that was It!!  So you can drink 20 beers so long as you wait 10 mins before driving home .... Got it!! 

• Like 1

Slightly different but the quickest way to a divorce is to try to teach your wife to drive.????

• Haha 1

I have driven with some good Thai drivers but they were old! knew the speed limits and how to negotiate a round-a-bout, no clutch slip ( 5 gears - use 'em). Like I said they were old, so no phones and they concentrated on the road and traffic. I suppose 3 good drivers after 8 years in Thailand is not too many!

Not knowing where you are I can confirm, that my two grown sons went through 40 hours of driving lessons in Bangkok; in two different schools close to home. 

The instructors told me (that's more than 15 years back) that they would have new cars with power steering and automatic gear boxes. I insisted on the odd old pick-up outside, no power steering and a manual gear box. The boys went through 20 double lessons, the first two of them I attended as well; theory was worked in at home and they did an actual driving test (and passed). 

I thought them myself how do drive off if you stop on a ramp (or on a bridge not having reached the top yet), driving backwards, parking (with water filled plastic bottles) as well as using the hand brake for certain maneuvers (like driving backwards up a parking ramp etc.). 

The driving schools in Bangkok learnt something, the basic training was good once I explained them to not please the student. 

Never had an accident they are responsible drivers with (meanwhile) driving skills so there is proven hope that they will pass on that to their kids ????